• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Alloy Wheel Contamination Removal.

My alloys are sporting some serious hard-baked-on crusty contamination.

Any ideas how i remove this (without using a scourer and marring the paint)???... Bill Hamber clay maybe!

I currently use Dragons Breath wheel cleaner and Autoglym wheel brush. Spray on, agitate, dwell, jet wash followed by regular contact wash, jet wash.

As you can see, its not working. This winters build up is horrific.
Advice please?

25567730607_167cca6f54_k.jpg

25567730877_fab323f732_k.jpg

I would try some clay too, was going to suggest what you're already using. That nasty looking!

Talking of Bilt Hamber, suggest you try Bilt Hamber Atom Mac.
Its a small bottle that you dilute around 5% in water and spray on the car wheels, underside etc.

https://www.bilthamber.com/atom-mac-148

It dissolves any salt build up during the winter and adds a protective layer to metalwork etc

I've got some - I can now wash the car and park it straight away in the garage and the brake discs don't 'rust-on' as you'd expect them too.
I can leave it a few days and reverse straight out the garage.

In my arsenal of gear I tackle wheels with:
Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel
Bilt Hamber Surfex HD (dilute at up to 1:1 for really heavy deposits - this is an APC)
Bilt Hamber Korrosol (iron particle remover - Auto Wheel really does same as Surfex & Korrosol together)
Autosmart Tardis (tar and glue remover)
Bilt Hamber Auto Clay
Meguiars triple detail brush - or a toothbrush.
Wheel woolies

Reasonably sure going thro the above will clean it up.
I think clay will drag and mark the gloss black finish until you've got it down to almost nothing there

Last edited by a moderator:
PS I've got gloss black wheels on the Clio 200 and they look like yours before a clean, but look like new when they've been done with little effort.

I also use Bilt Hamber Auto Wash shampoo, which has corrosion inhibitors in it.
One teaspoon per bucket !! It goes a long way

It's a real bugger this time of year to get the wheels clean.

My wheel wash routine would be:

Pre wash with Bilt Hamber Autofoam

Then on really dirty wheels I spray on some AutoGlanz Alkalloy wheel cleaner and agitate with a soft brush.

Then I clean wheels further with HDD Brakethrough wheel soap.

Next I use some Car Chem tar remover before following up with some AutoGlanz Blood Tonic iron remover.

Finally I seal the wheels with either Car Chem wheel sealant or some wheel wax. Hopefully this makes it easier to clean next time.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Autobrite products are also worth a shout, purple rain is good removes most crap, they also do very cherry wheel cleaner (Acid and non-acid).

Once a year I use the acid very cherry cleaner followed by the purple rain after that seal them with a sealant or wax. Maintenance through the year I just use the non acid version of the very cherry cleaner, it's always worked on my EP3 alloys anyway.

I can also vouch for Dragon's Breath not doing the job, despite its high price and supposed positive rep. Was pretty disappointed tbh.

Just had my alloys refurbed (as I think some of the lacquer had come off, allowing brake dust to get really stuck in) and I plan to clean them every week at least. I'm trying out Supaguard brake dust repellent at the moment but will probably be looking at a proper wax product next.

My advice is to ceramic coat the wheels. I had mind done with the rest of my car.

Below is a photo before and after cleaning following a 800mile trip to the Ring and Spa.

Cleaning all four took 20min with only a mitt and shampoo.

1d875c1e1821f9e855179e364de90485.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Having just cleaned my car for the first time since I picked it up, when I cleaned the wheels, they seemed to be coated with a an oily substance. When washing it off, the sponge turned black and so did the leather. Is this some sort of manufacturers coating and if so, what’s the best stuff to remove it please?

Trev

Having just cleaned my car for the first time since I picked it up, when I cleaned the wheels, they seemed to be coated with a an oily substance. When washing it off, the sponge turned black and so did the leather. Is this some sort of manufacturers coating and if so, what’s the best stuff to remove it please?

Trev

I'd imagine its tyre shine that they've drifted over the tyres and got some overspray on it or wiped the excess over the wheel surface.

I'd imagine its tyre shine that they've drifted over the tyres and got some overspray on it or wiped the excess over the wheel surface.

Ah right, that would explain the black spots up the front wings and arches as well then. Any advice for removing it? Or is it a case of shampoo and elbow grease?

Trev

Ah right, that would explain the black spots up the front wings and arches as well then. Any advice for removing it? Or is it a case of shampoo and elbow grease?

Trev

Some degreaser, or all purpose cleaner, something like that.
Shampoo will probably shift it if its strong enough.

I'd get some on the shelf Trev, Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner, Bilt Hamber Surfex HD.

Auto Finesse stuff is now stocked at Halfords, try Verso, for about £8.95
https://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/wash/verso-1litre

Some degreaser, or all purpose cleaner, something like that.
Shampoo will probably shift it if its strong enough.

I'd get some on the shelf Trev, Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner, Bilt Hamber Surfex HD.

Auto Finesse stuff is now stocked at Halfords, try Verso, for about £8.95
https://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/wash/verso-1litre

Thanks very much for the advice, having never owned a car with painted alloys, it’s a bit of a new experience!

Trev

Bilt hamber Surfex is an excellent degreaser I must say.

However are you sure the black spots around the arches aren't tar spots? In which case you may need a tar remover.

Bilt hamber Surfex is an excellent degreaser I must say.

However are you sure the black spots around the arches aren't tar spots? In which case you may need a tar remover.

Hi Nidge, no, the spots around the inside of the arches and front of the wings, washed off easily with shampoo with no residues. It was only the wheels. But thanks anyway,

Trev

Hi Nidge, no, the spots around the inside of the arches and front of the wings, washed off easily with shampoo with no residues. It was only the wheels. But thanks anyway,

Trev
OK fair enough. Glad you got it sorted.

Invested in some Auto Finesse. With a bit of scrubbing with a paint brush they came up a treat.
Many thanks for every bodies advice and input.

Trev

Back