• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Anyone else falling out of love with their FK8

The top spec which will be the trophy has 300 bhp , i think its going to be an epic car, renault sports track history is very good. Im sure a trophy R will follow as well. As i said im looking forward to the group tests.

Ron's got strange views on what he regards as competition for the Type R, he's happy to say it's comparable to car's with more power but he's not happy when it's compared to car's with less power, I personally think he's a badge snob. :eek::lol:

Ron's got strange views on what he regards as competition for the Type R, he's happy to say it's comparable to car's with more power but he's not happy when it's compared to car's with less power, I personally think he's a badge snob. :eek::lol:

Surely any hot hatch is direct competition ? If its hot and hatch shaped its the same as the fk8.

You obviously don't know me at all. :(
That's the thing with internet forums, it is all too easy to form the wrong opinion of somebody when all you have to go on is the written word, which is open to interpretation.
Allow me to clarify about Renault.....
Yes they absolutely have a strong heritage in motorsport, but their fast road cars are a niche market....much more so than Honda's. Also they do not have a particularly good brand image when it comes to road cars.
When I said a step down it was mainly meant tongue in cheek, as indicated by my choice of emojis........but I was also being semi serious as explained above.

P.S. My views on what cars are in the same "class" as a Type R will most likely be with the majority, doesn't matter whether you personally agree with me or not. :smt058
They are ALL regarded as "hot hatches" though.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the thing with internet forums, it is all too easy to form the wrong opinion of somebody when all you have to go on is the written word, which is open to interpretation.
Yes they absolutely have a strong heritage in motorsport, but their fast road cars are a niche market....much more so than Honda's. Also they do not have a particularly good brand image when it comes to road cars.
When I said a step down it was mainly meant tongue in cheek, as indicated by my choice of emojis........but I was also being semi serious as explained above.

P.S. My views on what cars are in the same "class" as a Type R will most likely be with the majority, doesn't matter whether you personally agree with me or not. :smt058

I've formed no opinion of you Ron, only on your perspective.

I would argue that Renaultsport are no more niche than Honda in this market and they have been producing great hot hatches for far longer than Honda have. The first hot hatch from Renault dates way back to 1976 with the 5 Alpine. They have arguably been the greatest provider of hot hatches since the early 00's when Peugeot decided to go lukewarm. Honda's first hot hatch to go on sale in the uk came a wopping 25 years after Renault's first offering. I'm no fanboy of any brand but Renault have produced some of the best fwd driver's car's period, to place them second fiddle to Honda is somewhat naive.

I've formed no opinion of you Ron, only on your perspective.
I would argue that Renaultsport are no more niche than Honda in this market and they have been producing great hot hatches for far longer than Honda have.
to place them second fiddle to Honda is somewhat naive.
So you have in fact formed an opinion on me based on what I say, which was exactly my point. We would probably get on perfectly well in real life. :)
I fully acknowledge that Renault have a long tradition of producing good fast cars, but their modern day image is not what it was. It would be interesting to see recent sales figures for hot Honda models against hot Renaults....because I believe the former would win.
I am no fanboy either, but I would be willing to bet that public opinion puts Honda ahead of Renault in the UK.

I did say in our earlier debate that we are never going to see eye to eye. :lol:

So you have in fact formed an opinion on me based on what I say, which was exactly my point. We would probably get on perfectly well in real life. :)
I fully acknowledge that Renault have a long tradition of producing good fast cars, but their modern day image is not what it was. It would be interesting to see recent sales figures for hot Honda models against hot Renaults....because I believe the former would win.
I am no fanboy either, but I would be willing to bet that public opinion puts Honda ahead of Renault in the UK.

I did say in our earlier debate that we are never going to see eye to eye. :lol:

No Ron I don't know you, my opinion is of your opinion. I would say the opposite is true, Renault have been banging out hot hatches for far longer than Honda so I'd wager that they have sold more, they can also make an engine that is at least competitive in F1 too. :lol:

No Ron I don't know you, my opinion is of your opinion.
I would say the opposite is true, Renault have been banging out hot hatches for far longer than Honda so I'd wager that they have sold more,
they can also make an engine that is at least competitive in F1 too. :lol:
You can dress it up how you like Marc, but you have formed an opinion of me based on the written word. This is what I have been saying all along. :lol:
I am only referring to recent Honda/Renault history, not going back to when their relative hot hatches were first produced.
Miaow!! ;) Honda entered F1 many years before Renault and achieved their first title 6 years before the latter, by coincidence both were with the same team. :) However the overall battle as constructor or engine supplier does go to Renault with 10 titles compared with 6 for Honda, although the latter was achieved consecutively. Now that is dominance whichever way you look at it.

Can we simply agree to disagree now? :)

You can dress it up how you like Marc, but you have formed an opinion of me based on the written word. This is what I have been saying all along. :lol:
I am only referring to recent Honda/Renault history, not going back to when their relative hot hatches were first produced.
Miaow!! ;) Honda entered F1 many years before Renault and achieved their first title 6 years before the latter, by coincidence both were with the same team. :) However the overall battle as constructor or engine supplier does go to Renault with 10 titles compared with 6 for Honda, although the latter was achieved consecutively. Now that is dominance whichever way you look at it.

Can we simply agree to disagree now? :)

That's fine by me, you were the one who started this all again by stating that the rs megane is below the type r. The jury is out on that but reviews are suggesting otherwise, if Renault live up to their reputation don't be surprised if the french car is voted a better driver's car than your Honda. :rolleyes:

Just enjoy what you have, competition in this market is no bad thing, the badge shouldn't matter the experience should.

you were the one who started this all again by stating that the rs megane is below the type r.
I never started anything Marc, I simply made a post partly in jest as I explained.
You weren't even involved in what I said but took it upon yourself to be derogatory towards me in post #61 by calling me a badge snob, which I am absolutely not.
You may have been joking, but it was clearly you that started this exchange.

I'm sure everybody is getting tired of reading our posts now, so I will be the bigger man and make this my last on the subject. :D

I never started anything Marc, I simply made a post partly in jest as I explained.
You weren't even involved in what I said but took it upon yourself to be derogatory towards me in post #61 by calling me a badge snob, which I am absolutely not.
You may have been joking, but it was clearly you that started this exchange.

I'm sure everybody is getting tired of reading our posts now, so I will be the bigger man and make this my last on the subject. :D

Lol

"Also they do not have a particularly good brand image when it comes to road car's"

Sort of cements my point that you're a badge snob. :lol:

Include them if it makes you happy, when I was a lad it was only the grannies mincing around in civic's. Most that I see now are cambertarded on air suspension so they aren't exactly going anywhere quickly.:cool:

Would the EK/MB VTis not count then? Or the EF and EG before that?

My VTi EG was "only" 130hp but definitely felt lively. That only had VTEC on the inlet cams. The SiR and SiR II were suitably amusing.

The '89 B16A-based CRX was around 900kg and the JDM version put out ~160hp. I'd say they happily qualify.

Back