• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Replacing orange side market bulbs

I was wondering about these side marker lights, as I couldn't remember seeing them lit up on my car. and during daytime with the running lights on they don't illuminate.
They only come on when the lights are on - auto or manually switched on. :)

I would like to replace mine but do worry that MOT would pull you up on them. If its a straight forward job then i'll do it anyway. Plus I don?t need an MOT for 3 years :)

The police have better things to worry about than pulling a car for incorrect side marker bulbs. We would have to be dead unlucky to get pulled for it.

The police have better things to worry about than pulling a car for incorrect side marker bulbs. We would have to be dead unlucky to get pulled for it.
Agreed.....you are much more likely to get pulled for speeding in an FK8, then they would probably do you for both if it happened to be at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the joys of insurance pulling their cover for you having an "improperly modified" vehicle in the case of an at-fault claim.

Or someone getting out of a claim you make against them somehow by claiming confusion at the white and it looking like you were turning so they pulled out. It doesn't need to make too much sense, it just needs to be enough to get them off the hook.

I think the orange looks naff, first day I got the car I switched them out for some white led's to match the headlights. 1 screw in the arch liner and you can get your hand in, the light piece clips out then. There's not much wire to play with so you need to unclip the bulb plug first but 5 minutes a side at most and its done.

I think the orange looks naff, first day I got the car I switched them out for some white led's to match the headlights. 1 screw in the arch liner and you can get your hand in, the light piece clips out then. There's not much wire to play with so you need to unclip the bulb plug first but 5 minutes a side at most and its done.

I'll have a go when I get some bulbs

Okay so my American bulbs arrived and tried to fit them. As someone said there is so little wire attached to the light. I just couldn't get any purchase to twist the bulb housing, and it was starting to scratch the pain so I left it.

Will try again when it is a little warmer

With how little wire there is how did you manage to turn the bulb plug? I just can't manage it without damaging the bodywork paint

Okay this is actually incredibly easy and I made it very difficult for me before.
Basically unscrew the three wheel arch screws, slide your hand down the wheelarch liner, reach to the back of the light fixture and press the release clasp to release the whole light.

Previously I was trying to replace the bulb without removing the entire light from the connector

Looks good with the led

39512968370_a09a47a1f1_k.jpg
[/url]IMG_7666 by mikeharper2, on Flickr[/IMG]

39512969290_e32a4fce54_k.jpg
[/url]IMG_5030 by mikeharper2, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
The clear bulb does look much nicer in your photo compared with the orange bulb. :)
It's something I would consider doing. Would like to see what it looks like at night though.
The red accent that runs along the top of your headlights and grille....is this simply a stick on part or does it involve replacing parts that have it already fitted?

Back