• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Everyone got their savings handy? Urban EV

Honda are opening orders for the Urban EV beginning early next year; y'know, this cute little thing

0912-honda-7715-1.jpg

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/06/honda-urban-ev-orders-begin-early-2019/

Hopefully this also means the roadster's not too far behind

1460078_116666_Honda_Sports_EV_Concept.0.jpg

I really hope they keep the styling fairly true to the prototype, I think it looks awesome.

I really hope they keep the styling fairly true to the prototype, I think it looks awesome.

Likewise, but I have a resigned feeling that a few mods will be made to it. Chief among them being the addition of a bumper of some description, stronger/thicker A-pillars, cheaper wheels, less interesting headlights.

If it's true what they reckon, that in 7 years time two thirds of Honda's European car sales will be electrified! Then the future's looking stylish.

If it's true what they reckon, that in 7 years time two thirds of Honda's European car sales will be electrified! Then the future's looking stylish.

It's not just Honda. If I remember correctly Toyota are dropping most diesel models and moving more heavily into electric and hybrid. Nissan are already headed that way quite strongly. Polestar (Volvo's performance brand) released a lease-only hybrid model in Geneva and said they will only do pure EV after that. I think even Mazda is coming out with an electrically-driven but rotary-charged hybrid soon, etc.

I blame VW for the death of Diesel. The global backlash is all conquering. It's pushing EV to the forefront which is good thing IF we can get some infrastructure.

Late last month a German court ruled that cities can now legally ban Euro 4 diesel vehicles. So it won't be long till they do. Then eventually all diesel will be banned for domestic uses.

I wish they'd also rule that EV charge points should be located in all parking spaces.

Can you imagine the re-fit cost if/when charging standards change? It'll be horrific.

True.
But do they want the public to drive EV or not?!

You cant expect the motoring world to evolve to EV vehicles if there's no infrastructure catering for them like they currently cater for fossil fuels and for example, populations are growing, there's a housing stock shortage and they want gen pop to live in 2 bed flats.
Where you expected to charge?!

Sure, so then council tax goes up and everyone who doesn't own a car complains, lather, rinse, repeat :D

The two main issues with EV power is packaging ie fitting the batteries and motor into the vehicle, and dealing with the heat that's generated. The charging problem and the battery packaging will eventually go away when battery tech advances to the point where they are small and light enough - either you'll be able to remove them from the vehicle and plug them into your 3 pin kettle lead, or more likely there will be two sets in the vehicle in separate switchable circuits so the EV can both supply power from one and regen the other, assuming electrical power usage and charging speed develops to allow it.

Add solar power and other basic top-up\conditioning methods and it'll be fine :)

Charging points lining the streets, embedded NFC style charging in the road surface and all other crazy ideas it would cost billions to develop and implement the infrastructure for will never happen.

I just don’t understand why electric vehicles are the way forward, it just means in the future we will be burning more fossil fuel in power stations to create more electricity for these electric cars, creating more pollution. It’s not the way forward.

I just don’t understand why electric vehicles are the way forward, it just means in the future we will be burning more fossil fuel in power stations to create more electricity for these electric cars, creating more pollution. It’s not the way forward.

Large-scale, centralised fossil-burning power generation is still cleaner than an internal combustion engine due (not only, but partially) to efficiencies of scale.

But, beyond that, you have solar, wind, geothermal, nuclear, hydro, tidal, etc. Fossil power generation isn't the only type.

A big problem the take-up of electric cars by the public is the price of the things and the fast-paced development of the technology itself - a lot people already treat their car almost as a throwaway accessory what with 3 year PCP etc. Otherwise who wants to buy one now as a long term prospect when in a couple of years the tech has moved on, prices have dropped a little and you're stuck with something that has a fraction of the range and highly questionable residuals?
Lots of reason NOT to buy for people across the market.

I'd buy a decent Tesla if it wasn't for a pricetag requiring a remortgage and stories of iffy reliability.

Back