• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Sloppy gear shift

I have a short shifter on the car which is an improvement, but the knob when in any gear can move an inch either side of centre. What's the best solution? Looking at the revo complete short shifter, being new I'd imagine the feel would be tight. The other option is to get something like k-tune bushes. I know the plastic ball in the shifter wears, just trying to get the best option. Thoughts?

It's either (and more likely) the bushes at the gear knob or gearbox end of the cables could do with replacing or the cables have stretched.

Unless you sort the real issue out, adding a new short shifter isn't going to do anything with the excess travel.

The plastic ball in the shifter can wear a bit and cause movement, changing to the Revo unit sorted mine out. Changing the bushes at the shifter and gearbox end after that didn't make much difference.
I found the Revo can be a little tight to begin with and has trouble self-centering, it smooths out with a little use and more silicone grease. A heavier gearknob like a Skunk seems to make this worse.

The next best thing after the shifter unit in my opinon is the Acuity uprated gearbox shifter springs, gives a slightly heavier shift which I like and very positive centering.

Think I will be swapping out the oem shifter for a Revo. I know Buddy Club and Hybrid Racing do a full shifter, is there any other brand to look at? Where did you get the Revo from?

Those were the other options I saw at the time. The Revo looked to be a fair price for a full replacement unit, the build quality and materials seem to be on a par with OE (in fact it looks almost identical so appear to have based it on a Honda shifter with tweaked fulcrum points). The Hybrid unit is nice but a bit spendy.

Think I ended up buying everything from Tegiwa but a lot places sell this stuff, Rival Motorsport sell it all and have wider range of options for things like the bushes.

Getting the shifter cables out and back into the shifter guides is great fun, enjoy :p

Both cables effectively lock into the shifter unit at the bottom, they have a plastic bit that goes in to the shifter about 6" below the ball\sockets- you can see where they go on the Revo, one each side.
The problem is not getting them in, you also need to then rotate the cable 90 degrees to lock the cable into the shifter and I found doing this with one hand through the top and one underneath the dash difficult due to lack of space. You'll see how it works when you unlock\remove the cables from the original shifter.

Probably one of those those jobs where one person finds it easy and the next awkward, it was an absolute pig for me.

It does look a pain, I think I'll remove the stereo section and floor tray thing too when I fit it.

Good idea. Be prepared to walk away from it for a while to calm down. Swearing at it like a trooper helped me out.

I see that K Tuned and Mtec do a pivot ball and spring kit rather than buying a complete shifter, but I can only find this for the DC5. Can this be bought for the EP3?

I can't find anything like that for the EP3. I'd swear that a few years back when my mate owned my car he showed me one of those rebuild kits for the EP on Teg's website, if so it doesn't look like it's available anymore.
Out of interest I looked up the price of a full replacement OEM shifter unit from Honda, it's about £150. I was expecting it to be more expensive. The Revo @ around £120 for what is equivalent quality but with design-in short shift geometry is pretty good value (and probably how I ended up getting one myself re thought process).

As Loxy said there are other things that could be causing the problem so inspecting the parts to identify the cause would be best before shelling out any cash. Anything with significant play in it will be fairly obvious, mine was clearly the plastic balljoint moving around in the shifter socket.

The spring looks similar, the ball looks like it's too small and/or hole in middle is too big to me.
I'd be amazed if they're missing a trick by failing to list it for a compatible car.
The box side is pretty samey, the lever end is I believe quite different.

I guess K Tuned could answer a query about fitting the EP.

It's advertised as fitting K20a2 oem gearbox. Might just give it a go for the price, if it doesn't fit then I'll send it back.

It's advertised as fitting K20a2 oem gearbox. Might just give it a go for the price, if it doesn't fit then I'll send it back.

Says at the end "Fits oem DC5 Integra shifter boxes from K20A/A2/A3/Z1 engines".
I'll put a virtual tenner on it not fitting.

Back