• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Am I being thick.. setting Autolock

I want to be able to get out the car with the key in my pocket and for it to lock itself.
I'm sure it can do it and I even think it did it originally when I collected it.
Now it doesn't and I must be getting menu-blind cause I can't seem to make it do it now.
Grrr!! (ok, It's probably me)

Really?

Well, that explains it a bit.
My new MX5 is the only other "keyless" car I've got and I assumed they all did the same sort of thing since it locks itself when you walk away.

ETA:

So for the last week I've just been parking up and walking away from the car assuming it was locking itself and being pleased how seamless and easy it was to get into it when I walked back. Ooops!! I guess that would have made for an interesting insurance claim for theft :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Been there done that :lol:
It will auto lock if no doors are opened during the unlock period

Really?

Well, that explains it a bit.
My new MX5 is the only other "keyless" car I've got and I assumed they all did the same sort of thing since it locks itself when you walk away.

ETA:

So for the last week I've just been parking up and walking away from the car assuming it was locking itself and being pleased how seamless and easy it was to get into it when I walked back. Ooops!! I guess that would have made for an interesting insurance claim for theft :eek:

Like another poster mentioned, I am of the old ‘press the button’ school and by folding the mirrors (press the lock button a second time within 10 seconds) know that the car would be locked.

As above I would not like a walk away auto lock feature, because I would forever be watching and waiting for visual confirmation that it had done so....which to my mind defeats the purpose of the feature.

99.9% of the time I press the little lock button on the door handle plus long press to auto-fold mirrors, if the mirrors are folded the car is locked! I am very paranoid with this

Been there done that :lol:
It will auto lock if no doors are opened during the unlock period

I guess it's that noise I've heard when I've been around the car with the key in my pocket but not going in. Glad I asked now, otherwise I might have just kept walking away from it assuming it was locked.

Being honest, I hate this keyless stuff. My MX5 has it as well and I end up standing outside the car like a dummy trying to remember how to get in, then sit like a dummy trying to remember how to start it. It took me the best part of a month to find out that the Mazda boot has a tiny hidden button on the underside of the number plate holder to open it. I had been walking up to the car to keylessly unlock it, then having to open the door and lean into it to then open the glove box to then get to the interior button that opens the boot that's inside the glovebox. I got so fed up doing it that I put things on the pax seat rather than the boot .... then the pax seatbelt warning bing-bong would come on!! Drove me daft. Thankfully I discovered Google lol

There's 5 things to switch on or activate do before starting the Ultima on the Start Button and sometimes I sit like a dummy in that as well.

Hmmm... maybe it's me :)

What gets me is jumping in car that's key ignition, especially if it's been a while.
Key in the ignition foot on the clutch and sit there thinking what next :lol: I've done that twice and I've even got to my location got out the car and realised the car is still running and the key is in the ignition

99.9% of the time I press the little lock button on the door handle plus long press to auto-fold mirrors, if the mirrors are folded the car is locked! I am very paranoid with this
Exactly what I do too at probably the same percentage......the only exception is that I usually don't deadlock when paying for petrol, just the normal lock.
Regarding the long press you say......it only requires a second normal press within so many seconds to deadlock and fold the mirrors.

Exactly what I do too at probably the same percentage......the only exception is that I usually don't deadlock when paying for petrol, just the normal lock.
Regarding the long press you say......it only requires a second normal press within so many seconds to deadlock and fold the mirrors.
I use pay at pump 100% of the time :p

Gonna try this normal press thing you mention!

Will also try that tomorrow morning, I'm sure it's 2nd press for deadlock and hold for folding mirrors or doing up the windows

I can promise you 100% the mirrors fold and deadlocks activate on the second quick push of the button the same as the first one on my car. :)

Ok... the votes are in and have all been counted.

The result.... yup. Guess it was me being thick.

Lesson learned :lol:

The FK2 must be different as I just tried and had to hold the button down
Strange.....you would think something as basic as the central locking system would be unchanged.
Having said that I'm glad the FK8 doesn't need a long second press. :)

Back