• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Am I being thick.. setting Autolock

Yep have always been talking about the button on the door...I thought we all were. :)
My fob is always in my pocket, so for me it would reduce the convenience of the keyless feature if I had to take it out of my pocket every time I wanted to lock the car.
This most likely means that all our cars do lock in the same way. No wonder I couldn't understand why some appeared to be different. :lol:

oh gee, looks like we've been talking across each other all this time (and we're all right :lol:), I too was referring to the keyfob "lock" button not the little button on the door handle.

learn something every day with this car :)

oh gee, looks like we've been talking across each other all this time (and we're all right :lol:), I too was referring to the keyfob "lock" button not the little button on the door handle.

learn something every day with this car :)

Touching the buttons on the fob is for mere peasants!

I don't get it.....why would you want to mess around pressing buttons on a fob when the car is completely keyless. If you lock it with the fob then you might as well unlock it with the fob as well. It just seems to defeat the purpose for me....but each to their own. :D
It would be interesting to know how many people still lock/unlock their keyless car by pressing the fob buttons.
This is my third keyless car in a row, and right from the first one it was great to be able to put the fob in my pocket and forget about it. :D

I tired 'that' button today and as it was raining it got my finger wet.....unacceptable

Also, when the car is parked and people are looking at it going 'woweee,' I can let them know its mine by pointing my key fob at it....

It makes me think car designers are too tech nerd obsessive and sometimes forget what the average customer might want.
For instance,on the Type R I would swap the keyless entry and a few other things (e.g. Do we need that many audio speakers?) for a heated windscreen,far more practical IMO.

a heated windscreen
Now there's a very handy feature that I miss. :(
It's one of those things that you get used to and take for granted....until you don't have it anymore.
My first car to have it was an Orion 1.6 GLSi way back in 1989, then a succession of cars since.
Must admit I do like Keyless entry though.....wouldn't want to give that up.
Regarding speakers.....it's true that mainstream manufacturers seem to be adding more and more yet still manage to achieve mediocre sound quality, but if they just fitted a smaller number of higher quality speakers the result would be noticeably better. :)

[video=youtube;90kGl_W3JjE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90kGl_W3JjE[/video]

/close thread

I tried again earlier and it's not for me, I prefer to get out, hand in pocket working the fob whilst walking away. I found with the button you have to stand there press the button wait for the 1st lock then press it again and then turn around and walkaway.
Was a nice thing to learn and find out about though, only took me near 3 years :lol:

hand in pocket working the fob whilst walking away.
Careful you don't get some strange looks while doing that. :lol:
Serious question though......because the fob is in your pocket and you cannot see it and know which way round it's sitting, due to the 3 buttons being close together do you ever press the wrong one first by mistake?

I don't get it.....why would you want to mess around pressing buttons on a fob when the car is completely keyless. If you lock it with the fob then you might as well unlock it with the fob as well. It just seems to defeat the purpose for me....but each to their own. :D
It would be interesting to know how many people still lock/unlock their keyless car by pressing the fob buttons.
This is my third keyless car in a row, and right from the first one it was great to be able to put the fob in my pocket and forget about it. :D

I never unlock the car with the fob button as you have to use the door handle anyway. I usually use the fob to lock as pressing button on the door seems so primitive and at this time of year it's usually covered in filth.

BTW - the double press using the door button works as per your experience, but I was using the button on the fob :lol:

I usually use the fob to lock as pressing button on the door seems so primitive
I think using a fob to lock a car is so primitive nowadays. :lol:

In all honesty I still don't get it....I find it so easy and convenient to press the door button when I get out of my car, and have never ever got my finger dirty. :lol:
Each to their own though. :)

I think using a fob to lock a car is so primitive nowadays. :lol:

In all honesty I still don't get it....I find it so easy and convenient to press the door button when I get out of my car, and have never ever got my finger dirty. :lol:
Each to their own though. :)

Let's agree to disagree.

Getting back to the original post - why can't we have walk away auto lock as an option on UK cars?

There's another button on the boot that'll lock the car & fold the mirrors
I had no idea about the existence of this button....but I checked this morning and sure enough it's there. :)
I'm pretty sure I know why it's there......it's because if you open the tailgate first then all doors unlock at the same time, so when you shut it again you press the button to relock everything.
On my previous cars if the tailgate was opened first all other doors stayed locked, then the tailgate automatically relocked when closed.

Back