• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 SportContact 6 Tread Wear

Yes I fully accept that as the car was designed around these tyres there will be compromises in certain areas if you change to a different type .....but this is my only car so it's an easy decision to make. :)

It was mentioned a few posts back that the ring record wasn't done using the contis and it was the same when the fk2 held the record, so the contis aren't really designed around the car.
The contis are good but at a price and as you say there are better performance tyres out there with longer life, it's a no brainer if you have no intention of tracking.

I noticed on Dotty's tread picture that the insides are wearing quicker, so definitely worth checking (if you can get under the car) :lol:

A point to note learned from another forum.....while there are 2 SP6 tyres listed by Continental in the correct size, only one of them is FK8 specific.
They have different code numbers with the Honda tyre having a larger rim protector.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll swap the fronts and rears at some point, but when they're done I'll be replacing them with Michelin PS4S

I had a Type R EP3 15 years ago and that chewed through front tyres every 6k if you were lucky.

Do you seriously believe what you are saying?
Your behaviour towards me is bordering on troll like.
Maybe nobody else can see it, but I can.

It was a light hearted joke not aimed at anyone, the fact that you've taken it to heart isn't really my issue.

Re kerbing....
Gap insurance.co.uk do an amazingly cheap policy to cover alloy kerbing.
Something like £160 for 3 years, covering up to 3 kerbings per year (yes, nine moments of numbskullery over 3 years).
No doubt there will be all sorts of caveats / exemptions but it seemed such a bargain I decided to give it a shot. One of those Pareto gambles akin to always carrying an umbrella everywhere you go... if I buy the policy and don’t need it, then great. If I do graunch a wheel then I (apparently) have cover to pay for a repair.
Seemed rude not to!
N.

Thanks I'd pay that all day long for peace of mind, will take a look

Have you checked the small print though as these wheels with the red band are a pain in the Harris not everyone can do them

Edit: just read the t&cs and looks ok!!! Cheers for the tip

I'll swap the fronts and rears at some point, but when they're done I'll be replacing them with Michelin PS4S

I had a Type R EP3 15 years ago and that chewed through front tyres every 6k if you were lucky.

Guess I’m a firm believer in having more tread at the back for fwd cars so wouldn’t swap the fronts and rears.

How did you come to that conclusion? Just curious.

I think that on a fwd car if the rear tyres have less tread and therefore less grip the car is more likely to oversteer which is harder to control than understeer. Someone else can maybe confirm this or explain it better.

You need more grip at the rear as oversteer is harder to control than understeer. Most tread should always be on the back.

Also people forget their tyres are directional so just swap them willy nilly without thinking of tread pattern

Just pinch a couple of food trays from McDonald's if you want to go drifting, just don't go trying any handbrake turns.

Also people forget their tyres are rotational so just swap them willy nilly without thinking of tread pattern
Every tyre is "rotational" :lol:
I knew you meant directional though. ;)
I haven't actually checked....are SP6 directional?
It used to be recommended to swap wheels diagonally opposite but with directional tyres you can only swap front to rear....which is easier to do yourself. :)

I have calculated that if I swap front to rear now, in a years time(assuming my mileage does not increase) my fronts will be on 2.5 and rears 3.5, so an ideal time to change all 4.

Back