• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gearbox Noises when cold

Picked up my DC5 at the weekend and its been a great drive so far

Couple of things have popped up and im sure its probably nothing but just wanted to ask and make sure

When starting the car, bearing in mind its been freezing since i picked it up, it makes a small grinding noise for just a fraction of a second. Having read about it, sounds like its just the starter motor when cold? Just want to make sure its not related to my next issues

When you first start the car, again when its cold obviously and the engine is idleing slightly higher because of the temperature, when you disengage the clutch, the revs pickup slightly. Is this normal or again is it related to my last issue

The final one is similar to what i experienced in my S2k, but when the car is cold, changing into 2nd gear can be a real pain sometimes, so itll sometimes knock a little or even grind a bit. Is this an issue or completely normal? im thinking of adjusting the clutch slightly to see if it changes anything?

Hi Dan, looks like you might be the longest member-lurker in history :)

I'd definitely check all the fluids for starters, and probably replace them. Two 1L bottles of MTF-3 are cheap really and worth it for peace of mind.

The second gear issue is likely the synchro in 2nd being worn, but you could check to make sure that the clutch fully disengages when depressed since that can cause similar issues if it's not. https://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/clutch-drag-kills-synchros has some tips about how to check.

The car had an Exedy clutch fitted by TGM late last year so i assume the fluids are all fresh but ill have a look at changing those again. Ill also check for the Clutch drag, thanks for the link!

High idle when cold is normal, the noise you describe is accurate too as my EP3 does it very occasionally.

The gearbox will have some resistance putting load on the engine. When you dip the clutch that load is removed and for a brief moment the revs can rise slightly.
Doesn’t happen on more modern cars. Idle control on these cars is very basic in comparison.

Back