• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Crazy insurance quotes - any advice/recommendations?

Just joined the forum in advance of collecting a pre-facelift '01 Dc5 Type R in May.

My main reason for joining at this time is that I've had some frankly ridiculous insurance quotes (to my mind at least). I'm 30 years old, couple of years no claims and the best I've had so far is just over 800 quid with Admiral with my other half and my Dad as named drivers. What was strange here is that it was actually more expensive with just me on the policy (how'd they work that one out?!).

Anyway I had been hoping for something a bit more reasonable. Before buying the Dc5 I had a look at WRX's and 350z's, both of which i could get quotes for under £600 fully comp. I know imports can carry a premium over domestic models, but a little Honda hatchback with an NA 2 litre should surely be less expensive than a near 300hp rear-wheel drive V6 Nissan.

One of the suggestions was to join an owners club/forum as insurers can view that favourably, so here I am. But any advice or if anyone has had a relatable experience with insurers, get in touch.

Cheers
Chris

All I can suggest is contact the insurance companies who are on here and see if they can help.

Try the following brokers:
Greenlight
Pace Ward
Keith Michaels
Brenacre
Plus others on here.

They'll actually know what a DC5 is and will provide competitive quotes.

Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

One of the suggestions was to join an owners club/forum as insurers can view that favourably, so here I am.

Welcome to the forum Chris. We'd be very happy to offer you a quotation - please call us on 0800 917 2274 mention this forum and we'll run through the details.

best,
Nick

If you have done the Go Compare routine then the forum friends above could be your best bet.
Keep us informed.
I'm an old git so my premium is £300, one of the advantages of being over 50.

The reason insurance is so high is because the DC5 are all imports. Insurance companies won't take into account that it's a 17 year old import and been on UK roads for that length of time (assuming that's the case). I work for Churchill and imports are treated as high risk due to limited info and possibly falsified history prior to arriving here. It's understandable really but unfortunate when you buy one and try to insure. The reason its cheaper with your dad on board is purely down to his age so less likely to make a claim.

Just joined the forum in advance of collecting a pre-facelift '01 Dc5 Type R in May.

My main reason for joining at this time is that I've had some frankly ridiculous insurance quotes (to my mind at least). I'm 30 years old, couple of years no claims and the best I've had so far is just over 800 quid with Admiral with my other half and my Dad as named drivers. What was strange here is that it was actually more expensive with just me on the policy (how'd they work that one out?!).

Anyway I had been hoping for something a bit more reasonable. Before buying the Dc5 I had a look at WRX's and 350z's, both of which i could get quotes for under £600 fully comp. I know imports can carry a premium over domestic models, but a little Honda hatchback with an NA 2 litre should surely be less expensive than a near 300hp rear-wheel drive V6 Nissan.

One of the suggestions was to join an owners club/forum as insurers can view that favourably, so here I am. But any advice or if anyone has had a relatable experience with insurers, get in touch.

Cheers
Chris

Direct Line Winston Wolf

Hi,
I don't feel that it's too difficult to insurer Japanese imported vehicles nowadays. It probably was a lot harder when they first started to become popular in the UK at the end of the 1990's as there weren't that many insurers prepared to cover them so you would pay a premium especially over the UK equivalent. Most main street insurers will also offer terms too now.
Regards,
Dan.

Cheers
Chris

Welcome mate.

Your dad is probably lower risk due to his age and as an insured driver they assume he will be driving it a certain percentage of the time hence the lower price with him than without.

I only just got my UK EP3 Type r down from £704 at renewal to £488 using this guide:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/

I switch using the same guidelines pretty much every year and never failed to make a saving yet. Not as many options with an import but there will still be some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back