• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Pete's... FN2 (awkward)

As a few of you might have known I had been on the hunt for a DC5, however, the two issues I came across was firstly, to import one of these from Japan is getting pretty damn expensive and secondly to find an already imported DC5 in amazing condition is even harder. After a couple of months of refreshed Autotrader/Pistonheads searches there was only one car I would have even bothered to go and view and it sold before I even put the call in.

Being your typical impatient guy I started to widen my search and look at other Type R options, there was a nice JDM EP3 at Torque GT but the 'been there done that' mentality crepped in a little so the idea of a FN2 started warming up - plenty of them about to choose from, a K20, nicer interior, cheaper to buy/insure etc. seemed like a no brainer.

I found what looked to be a really nice example at a dealer in north Manchester and even though I could have found one closer to home it just stood out, the dealer had some really good online reviews, so last Saturday I convinced my dad to take me to have a look.

The car was in fantastic condition, I still havent found a single car park ding on the bodywork and the alloy wheels are unmarked too, the interior is just as clean with the only thing needing doing is to replace a slightly worn gear gaitor which seems to be common with these.
It came with a 12 month MOT but did need a cracked front spring replacing which initially put me off due to my OCD, but the car was so clean and the history stacked up that I didnt let it put me off the purchase.

I had forgotten how addictive driving a K20 powered Type R is and was like a smiling 5 year old on the test drive, I know a lot of people dont like the FN2 and a few years ago I would never have seen myself buying one but in reality there is a lot to love.

A few random photos below to start the thread off, mostly from the advert.....

FN2 4.jpg

FN2 6.jpg

FN2 3.jpg

FN2.jpg

FN2 2.jpg

FN2 5.jpg

FN2 9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard 'buy a new car and then spend a small fortune on parts' update.

So after buying the FN2 I went over the whole car and came up with a list of bits and pieces that I wanted to add/replace, being honest I probably went over the top i.e. algae in the light clusters? equals buy new light clusters :D a couple of fairly large boxes arrived from Cox Motor Parts yesterday afternoon (felt like Christmas) and once everything has been fitted it really should look just as good as when it rolled off the production line.

Also have the main rear light cluster which was too big to get in the picture lol and the rear quarter light clusters on order directly from the Telford Honda dealership.

Just need to break the news to the good lady that her summer holiday is going to be Wales as opposed to Cyprus this year :D :D

FN2 8.jpg

I have to say i'm quite shocked Pete, but if this is what you want, then go work your magic bud, i'm sure it'll be one of the cleanest FN's out there ;)

I have to say i'm quite shocked Pete, but if this is what you want, then go work your magic bud, i'm sure it'll be one of the cleanest FN's out there ;)

Haha I thought you would be pal! The FN2 did surprise me it's a very good car and once I've replaced the bits I want to it should look the part too :)

Is it lowered? Also sort the upside pic's out pls!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

as far as I know it's on standard springs, I'll take a look at the photos and sort them out, on my laptop they look the right way up lol

Got some engine dress up (brand new and not even unpacked) and a black mugen knob if you're interested. PM me.

If you are happy that all that matters, Best colour and the GP kit really makes a big difference to the look.

Love the thread title by the way :D

Collected the two rear quarter lenses and Type R badge from Telford Honda yesterday so just need a nice weekend now to replace everything and give the car a good clean.

looking at the weather forecast I'm anticipating sometime during July!! ffs

did start looking at mugen parts using paul at TDIs old FN2 as inspiration but need to behave myself :D

The pull of the Mugen is strong, just ask Dotty :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it. (My old one)

IMAG3094.jpg

IMAG3088.jpg

I do miss my FN2 every now and then

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Do love that rear bumper with the round exhaust outlets!! once I've fitted the trolley full of parts from Cox the to do list might look something like the below:-

Full service/health check from Stevie at Grinspeed
Mugen front bumper
Mugen grille
Mugen bonnet
Mugen rear bumper
Mugen spoiler
Team Dynamics Pro Race wheels

Do love that rear bumper with the round exhaust outlets!! once I've fitted the trolley full of parts from Cox the to do list might look something like the below:-

Full service/health check from Stevie at Grinspeed
Mugen front bumper
Mugen grille
Mugen bonnet
Mugen rear bumper
Mugen spoiler
Team Dynamics Pro Race wheels
IIRC WelshyWelsh got a load of Mugen parts for his old FN2 and I think some, if not all the genuine Mugen parts are discontinued

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last Sunday turned out to be a lot drier than the forecast had given out, so I decided to replace the rear light clusters and get rid of a couple of Honda boxes that had started to take over the dining room :D

The two rear quarter lights were a piece of cake to fit, two bolts and a locater tab in the body of the car and they literally pull straight out.

The boot lid light clusters proved a lot more time consuming, I only removed the two access panels designed to change the light bulbs as opposed to the complete boot lid trim and there are a number of bolts that are a bit of a pig to get at, the use of a magnetic inspection tool definitely made this job easier and avoided any nuts getting lost in the boot lid.

Really pleased with the end result, its really freshened up the back of the car and it gave me the chance to give everything behind the lights a good clean and a wipe over at the same time.

Some more goodies still to fit and will update as I go, I did decide as its a Type R it does deserve the right key fob too.

Light 1.jpg

Light 2.jpg

Light 3.jpg

Light 4.jpg

Key Fob.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back