• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 What did you learn about your FK8 today?

I noticed the handbrake comes on when I undo the seatbelt..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only does that if you have brake hold on/active. If you take your seat belt off then the hand brake turns on..

You also can't use the brake hold until you have your seat belt on.

Wonder if you have brake hold active and you are driving at speed, and you unclip your seat belt will the hand brake go on? Wonder if anyone will try it!$

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the brake hold feature. I was sceptical of the electronic handbrake. I am now a complete convert and enjoy the feature.

The thing that puts me off using Brake Hold is that everytime you come to a stop all of your rear brake lights come on and stay on until you start moving again. I know how annoying this can be when sitting immediately behind another car at traffic lights and the driver keeps their foot on the brake pedal rather than using the hand brake.....especially at night when it is raining.
As stated I might get to like the feature if I gave it a chance, but I am not prepared to for the above reason.

You're a gentleman and a scholar Ron, that's one of my biggest pet peeves when driving. Infuriating, especially some of these new LED brake lights, they're too fecking bright.

Handbrake and Brake Hold are not mutually exclusive.
If stopping for a couple of seconds (eg hill holding at a junction) then allow brake hold to do its thing. But if you’re going to be stopped for a while (eg traffic lights) then pull the wee handbrake switch.
Super simple. And considerate to other drivers.
So why not give it a go... you might find you like it :)
N.

Handbrake and Brake Hold are not mutually exclusive.
If stopping for a couple of seconds (eg hill holding at a junction) then allow brake hold to do its thing. But if you’re going to be stopped for a while (eg traffic lights) then pull the wee handbrake switch.
Super simple. And considerate to other drivers.
You drive in the real word so you will already know the sad fact that a lot of drivers are not considerate to others......so if their car is stopped using Brake Hold why should they bother to pull another lever to hold their already securely held car.
In the majority of cases it just wouldn't happen, and you will be sat behind somebody with red brake lights glaring in your face just the same as the drivers who sit with their foot on the brake pedal for the duration of their stop.
Of course all credit to people who do as you describe, but they will be few and far between.
If I am going to be stopped for more than a few seconds I use the handbrake, just like I always have done.

You drive in the real word so you will already know the sad fact that a lot of drivers are not considerate to others......so if their car is stopped using Brake Hold why should they bother to pull another lever to hold their already securely held car.
In the majority of cases it just wouldn't happen, and you will be sat behind somebody with red brake lights glaring in your face just the same as the drivers who sit with their foot on the brake pedal for the duration of their stop.
Of course all credit to people who do as you describe, but they will be few and far between.
If I am going to be stopped for more than a few seconds I use the handbrake, just like I always have done.

I must say that before I was a "red light glaring" asshole :lol:, because putting handbrake down = too much effort. But with the CTR it's just a little lever, and do nothing to start, so I do it on all lights/queues.

I've always found it more effort to sit there with my foot on the brake.

Put the hand brake on. Relax.

An added bonus. Its quicker to drop the handbrake, hit the gas and go.

I've always found it more effort to sit there with my foot on the brake.
Completely agree.....which makes it all the harder to understand the people that do it, but we all see them everytime we are out on the road. :rolleyes:

I still prefer a traditional handbrake that I can judge the pressure required, wheras an electronic one is maximum pressure everytime.

I love the brake hold feature. I was sceptical of the electronic handbrake. I am now a complete convert and enjoy the feature.

I do too until I get in my van and try to drive off with the handbrake still on.. or worse still, stopping at the lights and just letting my foot off the brake :D

Really had to remind myself to use the manual handbrake in the van, heh.

I would put money on most of the brake light blinders driving automatics: a very different proposition when it comes to traffic queues compared to a manual car.

(Not excusing it - just offering an answer to why someone might appear inconsiderate.)

N.

I would put money on most of the brake light blinders driving automatics: a very different proposition when it comes to traffic queues compared to a manual car.
But you wouldn't sit for x amount of minutes at red traffic lights with the car in Drive and foot on the brake pedal.....you would put it into Neutral and apply the handbrake.
Inconsiderate drivers will always be inconsiderate regardless of what car they have. :(
I do admire your faith in human nature though. :)

Let’s not be judgemental by labelling them all as inconsiderate drivers. That would suggest they appreciate the impact their behaviour has on others, but choose to do it anyway without consideration for others.

In my humble opinion, the target population for Ron’s observations above will likely sit within the intersection of the following populations:
“I passed my test on a manual car without brake-hold”; and
“No-one has taken the time to explain to me that rear brake lights blaze away when brake-hold is engaged, even with my foot off the brake pedal.”

And if we were to pretend - just for a moment - that we’re not the driving gods we obviously all are (?!)... then why would a mere amateur assume anything other than “if I take my foot off the brake pedal, my brake lights will go off”? After all, that’s what used to happen on cars the world over.

Hence my opening gambit: I don’t think most of Ron’s hit-list even realise what they’re doing to others’ blood pressure or pupillary dilation rates. So let’s either move on, or mobilise a campaign to petition salesmen and driving instructors to draw this to their clients’ attention. Or maybe write to the Daily Mail? Maybe Bob Geldof and Bono will write a song about it?

Meanwhile I’ll be in the “move on” group
:)

Let’s not be judgemental by labelling them all as inconsiderate drivers. That would suggest they appreciate the impact their behaviour has on others, but choose to do it anyway without consideration for others.
I don’t think most of Ron’s hit-list even realise what they’re doing to others’ blood pressure or pupillary dilation rates.
Exactly this, spot on. :smt023

P.S. The effort you put into your reply didn't go unnoticed. :D

P.P.S. I appreciate the sentiment, but its hard to "move on" when sitting immediately behind one of these drivers in a traffic queue......so tolerance is the best I can do. :lol:

I use brake hold all the time and genuinely didn't know the brake lights are on, assumed it temporarily engaged the handbrake. Are we 1000% on this?! And if it is putting the lights on, are the brake lights all of the devil horn shape, because if so, that's really cool, even if it does blind people :p

Back