• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 What did you learn about your FK8 today?

That the Fk8 is a track monster for a std car.

I've only made small mods to the brakes - lines / dot5 but my god they were phenomenal today at Oulton

Noticed the derating quite considerably after 5 hot laps - very likely to get intercooler

Tyres - very difficult to get in, and stay with operating window. I found I was having to take huge amounts of pressure out to get any sort of longevity out of them, but that induced quite a bit of roll.

I was surprised that even in R mode there Is a lot of roll from the chassis - and the car moves around massively on the brakes if you are trail braking. I'm tempted to get some braces but don't want to upset the overall balance - because it is phenomenal out of the blocks

One of the most satisfying cars I've ever driven on track. Was 3.5 seconds quicker than my modded megane around oulton too.

You need some roll, but ultimately on track you require a stiffer bushes, springs and dampers, how ever this would compromise on road.

You need some roll, but ultimately on track you require a stiffer bushes, springs and dampers, how ever this would compromise on road.

Yep. Agree the roll that I have is allowing me to turn in the car on the brakes fantastically - I think it's hurting me in some of the higher speed corners where i'm not turning on the brakes.

It is a massively difficult balance though - do I compromise one for the other. One thing Is for sure as well I don't want to make it so stiff that it actually increases the understeer - what are you thinking of doing?

That the Fk8 is a track monster for a std car.

I've only made small mods to the brakes - lines / dot5 but my god they were phenomenal today at Oulton

Noticed the derating quite considerably after 5 hot laps - very likely to get intercooler

Tyres - very difficult to get in, and stay with operating window. I found I was having to take huge amounts of pressure out to get any sort of longevity out of them, but that induced quite a bit of roll.

I was surprised that even in R mode there Is a lot of roll from the chassis - and the car moves around massively on the brakes if you are trail braking. I'm tempted to get some braces but don't want to upset the overall balance - because it is phenomenal out of the blocks

One of the most satisfying cars I've ever driven on track. Was 3.5 seconds quicker than my modded megane around oulton too.

Do you think Cup2s would be a big improvement?

I found I was consistently dropping pressure due to the overheating. I ended up with 2.7 bar front after 5 laps and 2.3 bar rear - but after 4 laps they were still dropping off performance massively, and great chunks of rubber caught in the alloys / rear wheel arches. I don't tend to do more than 5 hot laps so they were coming in well after lap 2 but then gone by 5

I think Cups could be better - obviously different cars but my track Megane I found with Cups once you had dropped the pressures initially they were fine. Felt like I was chasing the Type R pressures down. The heat coming from the brakes was incredible.

Nitrogen is a good shout - the tyres on my GTR are filled with them so will give that a try next time.

Another tip for track - there is no socket / bar for changing wheels in the car - found out that the hard way!

Tyres pressure on the front will rise as much as 10-15 psi on track. Need to drop them to about 28, do a few laps, come in and check, rinse and repeat.

Take too much out and you’ll screw them up faster.

Why dont you put Nitrogen in them?
You will have more stable pressure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

lolwut

Sorry Chris.
I was wrong to suggest anything!
I actually forgot that you are the be all and all of all things Track, Brake pads and tyre pressure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tyres pressure on the front will rise as much as 10-15 psi on track. Need to drop them to about 28, do a few laps, come in and check, rinse and repeat.

lolwut

Doesn’t expand so much does it? So when your tyres get hot the pressure won’t increase so much. That’s what Matt Neal blamed it on anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

lolwut

I actually think at 2.8 bar front after 5 hot laps they were too low on the warm up. The sidewalls are scrubbed so damage must have been done on warm up. I would go slightly higher next time in the same conditions - hopefully will have different tyres then!

Oxygen bleeds through rubber so you’re less likely to lose tyre pressure.
Nitrogen can give more stable pressures. Normal air obviously has a few different elements in it which will all expand at different rates. Real world it will never be that noticeable. Only worth it if you’re in a race team chasing every tenth.

Just completed 4 days on the Nurburgring (2 wet and 2 dry) and the "overheating" (75%+ on coolant gauge) on the 2 dry days (20c + 70% humidity) was very disappointing, no oil or water was used but power was robbed in bucket loads particularly after heavy braking and then applying full power after a corner. Despite boost showing at 1.5 bar and RPM at 4k it took a few seconds before anything useful was delivered (3rd gear onwards) is this other peoples experience as well?

I have seem some aftermarket grills that seem to offer better air flow, any experience of these? I guess a better IC and coolant radiator plus perhaps an additional oil cooler would be the answer, I just don't get how Honda got it wrong on a track focused car with excellent brake cooling as standard.

Just completed 4 days on the Nurburgring (2 wet and 2 dry) and the "overheating" (75%+ on coolant gauge) on the 2 dry days (20c + 70% humidity) was very disappointing, no oil or water was used but power was robbed in bucket loads particularly after heavy braking and then applying full power after a corner. Despite boost showing at 1.5 bar and RPM at 4k it took a few seconds before anything useful was delivered (3rd gear onwards) is this other peoples experience as well?

I have seem some aftermarket grills that seem to offer better air flow, any experience of these? I guess a better IC and coolant radiator plus perhaps an additional oil cooler would be the answer, I just don't get how Honda got it wrong on a track focused car with excellent brake cooling as standard.

I'm surprised you had the issue on the ring where there is lots of high speed airflow. I had the temperature gauge near the top on a warm spring day at Bedford a few weeks ago.

I'm surprised you had the issue on the ring where there is lots of high speed airflow. I had the temperature gauge near the top on a warm spring day at Bedford a few weeks ago.
I agree, of all the circuits that is one I did not expected cooling issues on. 2 up was worse of course, running 8:30 BTG times so not pushing that hard.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Back