• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Spoon 5.3 vs Mfactory 5.46 final drive in FN2 gearbox

Hi guys,
Spoon 5.3 FD is just over £200 pounds cheaper than the Mfactory 5.46.
Is the difference noticeable between the two or should I save a few quid and get the Spoon?
And again is the difference between the standard 5.06 and the 5.3 Spoon worth the upgrade?
I will drive on 18" tyres, but planning to get 17" for track use.
Thanks

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I had the Spoon one in my DC5, you won’t like it much on the road.

Wish mfactory's gear ratio calculater was still working...

I'm likely going to fit a 5.46 as it's 80% daily and 20% track, when I used the calculator the 5.3 wasn't a great choice for an FN2 as it's only about .24 shorter circa 100-200ish rpm difference.
5.46 was just over 200-300 rpm difference and seemed the sweet spot if still a tad 'tame' for the track, on the road it should give a little extra grunt without ruining motorway driving completely. I can imagine cruising at around 4k will get tiresome however.
If it's mainly track the 5.84 is your best but on the road it's horrible, a member of civinfo bought an FN2 with one already installed and hated it, think mway rpm was about 4500rpm.

It will make a difference but nowhere near as much as an EP3 / DC5 etc with their longer FDs

If it's just a daily with motorway commuting etc I'd personally save the money and leave the OEM 5.06 one as it'll hardly be worth it and will ruin some driver comfort and mpg, if you're dead set on trying one then save the £200 and go spoon. If you track it at all or only use it as a weekend toy etc a 5.46 might be the best bet.

Wish mfactory's gear ratio calculater was still working...

I'm likely going to fit a 5.46 as it's 80% daily and 20% track, when I used the calculator the 5.3 wasn't a great choice for an FN2 as it's only about .24 shorter circa 100-200ish rpm difference.
5.46 was just over 200-300 rpm difference and seemed the sweet spot if still a tad 'tame' for the track, on the road it should give a little extra grunt without ruining motorway driving completely. I can imagine cruising at around 4k will get tiresome however.
If it's mainly track the 5.84 is your best but on the road it's horrible, a member of civinfo bought an FN2 with one already installed and hated it, think mway rpm was about 4500rpm.

It will make a difference but nowhere near as much as an EP3 / DC5 etc with their longer FDs

If it's just a daily with motorway commuting etc I'd personally save the money and leave the OEM 5.06 one as it'll hardly be worth it and will ruin some driver comfort and mpg, if you're dead set on trying one then save the £200 and go spoon. If you track it at all or only use it as a weekend toy etc a 5.46 might be the best bet.

You could still change the FD and then put a 6th gear ratio in from the Accord Type S which is longer. That's what I did in the EP3 when I had a 5.1FD put in.

I stopped seeing this post and I had to reinstall the app.
My apologies for the late response.
I went to consult with TGM Motorsport regarding the final drive and now I am convinced the Spoon 5.3 will be my choice as it is a genuine honda part I found out. They told me they have seen issues on three occasions with other brands, so I definitely will go Spoon.
Thanks for the replays everyone!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Hi guys sorry to revive such an old thread but was wondering if the Spoon 5.3 is fine for non motorway use. Will it still be annoyingly short on A-roads and B-roads?

Back