• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Does these spark plugs need changing?

Just a quick question.

Haven't changed spark plugs in a long while. Just taking a look at mine in the Ep3.

They don't look terrible but no idea when they were last changed.

What do you leave them or change them?

f93cd25d7198ec2f61d3dd402203e3b2.jpg
a12a72f1fb4ad88d5dbb5c02284f376d.jpg

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Don't look too bad, personally I'd change them then you know they're fresh. It's what I did.

If you've already got them out and aren't sure when they were last done, there's no harm in changing them. :)

I have put them back for now but got some new ones on order.

Cheers guys, very helpful as always :smt006

Looks to be running a tad rich (they're quite dark). Other than that they look pretty fresh to me, I'd probably clean them up (brake cleaner works well) and re-gap them TBH. Unless you know for sure they're really old, say 25k plus miles or 5 years. Better safe than sorry in that case, you don't want to lose your tip down a bore (for once in your life at least) due to brittleness.

Looks to be running a tad rich (they're quite dark). Other than that they look pretty fresh to me, I'd probably clean them up (brake cleaner works well) and re-gap them TBH. Unless you know for sure they're really old, say 25k plus miles or 5 years. Better safe than sorry in that case, you don't want to lose your tip down a bore (for once in your life at least) due to brittleness.
Cheers Hazz. I'm going to replace them anyway as I have no record of them being changed so don't know how old they are.

I've been using normal unleaded petrol could this cause the car to run rich or am I totally wrong and is there something else possibly causing this?

I'm told by Tegiwa when they mapped the track car the other week, that OEM set up on the EP3 is a fairly rich map, so maybe it's that and the plugs are of age/mileage ready for changing?

I'm told by Tegiwa when they mapped the track car the other week, that OEM set up on the EP3 is a fairly rich map, so maybe it's that and the plugs are of age/mileage ready for changing?
Cheers Krzys. That's useful to know and maybe the answer.

Not sure what else it could be otherwise

I'd probably clean them up (brake cleaner works well) and re-gap them TBH.
Not recommended to gap iridium tipped spark plugs as you can damage the iridium tip.
Gapping spark plugs is a thing of the past now. 9/10 times they’re already gapped to the correct manufactures specification when you buy the correct ones for your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not recommended to gap iridium tipped spark plugs as you can damage the iridium tip.
Gapping spark plugs is a thing of the past now. 9/10 times they’re already gapped to the correct manufactures specification when you buy the correct ones for your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've certainly never gapped a set of plugs, new or used.

I always gap my plugs. Always have, always will. They're pretty good from the factory these days but they're never spot on. You're right about iridiums, they're very easy to damage. If you're re-using old plugs it's always good practice to re-gap them IMO.

Just a quick update on this. Replaced the plugs today. No idea when they were previously done so thought I may as well just get it done.

Thanks for all the information and advice.

Nidge have you seen any difference with new plugs?
any MPG or responsivness or noise imrpovements?
mine look similar to yours, will be changing them soon

Nidge have you seen any difference with new plugs?
any MPG or responsivness or noise imrpovements?
mine look similar to yours, will be changing them soon
It's hard to say kingkhan.

I replaced the plugs and used some Forte injector cleaner and started using super unleaded petrol all at the same time.

Car does feel like it's running more smoothly though that's for sure. Also helped by the new clutch recently fitted too.

Back