• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 head-units wiring - is this the wrong loom?

Hi chaps,

trying to get to the bottom of why I can't get the AC screen to work. I think it's something to do with the HU being installed with a cheap wiring loom rather than the Connect2 ones, but is there anything that can be done with the current loom to make it work?

20180603_121202.jpg

Also, I have a random long mint-green wire that isn't connected to anything - any idea what it might be?! Apologies for the photo, damn thing keeps rotating no matter what I do with it!

20180603_121301.jpg

Where does the minty wire go to?

You could just swap for a connects2 loom for the easiest option if your not sure what you are doing.

plug and play the forget about it for how much they cost

I haven't been able to trace the mint wire yet - it was coiled up in the storage / cubby hole beneath the HU. I was hoping that somebody might see it and magically know what the problem is, like whether it was used for a popular mod or something. Otherwise, it's going to be a dash-stripping operation!

Currently, forking out £50 to be able to use a sub-standard Chinese HU (came with the car - it is truly terrible!) isn't on my wish list, but I was wondering whether there is some kind of wiring cheat to get the screen working (I'm plenty comfortable with wiring / soldering!), or whether it absolutely 100% needs the Connects2 little black box.

Besides, I've only had it 2 weeks and I still prefer to listen to the sound of the engine :D

I'm sure there is a way to get it working with additional wires etc, as the connects2 wiring gets it working.

Im not going to be able to help you on that one unfortunately, hopefully someone else will help

The mint green wire could have been a Romote cable, have you checked in the boot see if it comes out there?

Heres some info on the standard wiring if it helps:

Honda Civic FN2 Car Stereo Wiring Guide
Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: White
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Violet
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Red/Black
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Red
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Gray
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Light Blue
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: Located in the front of the center console under the center of the dash.
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Pink
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Gray
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Orange

Although your light green wire seems to be running separately into that grey block

Thanks Jimbo, I'll take another look. I've bought a wiring diagram / workshop manual off eBay so hopefully I can work something out!

Mint green wire could be the video ground cable for the head unit. If the unit plays dvds or mp4s then it is supposed to be connected to the handbrake switch to ground when handbrake is applied but you can connect it straight to ground so videos will play without handbrake applied, do not watch videos while driving though

Mint green wire could be the video ground cable for the head unit. If the unit plays dvds or mp4s then it is supposed to be connected to the handbrake switch to ground when handbrake is applied but you can connect it straight to ground so videos will play without handbrake applied, do not watch videos while driving though

Good point Daz, I hadn't thought about that! Cheers!

Back