• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Running Rich- Any Advice?

Fitted b-pipe this afternoon and noticed the tail pipes were incredibly black and soot spots can be seen on the boot lid.

Is this normal? Has anyone had a similar issue? There are no warning lights on dash, perhaps the O2 sensor is playing up?

My pipes get sooty, running rich crossed my mind but the car felt fine so ignored it,
I wouldn't worry about it, give them a clean and see how long it takes

Fitted b-pipe this afternoon and noticed the tail pipes were incredibly black and soot spots can be seen on the boot lid.

Is this normal? Has anyone had a similar issue? There are no warning lights on dash, perhaps the O2 sensor is playing up?

I’d get that looked at, should be still under warranty? Might just be a leaky air pipe somewhere. Before it screws up your catalytic converter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d get that looked at, should be still under warranty? Might just be a leaky air pipe somewhere. Before it screws up your catalytic converter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I called Honda where I bought it from and they just said there's probably nothing wrong with it if it's not showing any lights on the dash...
I kept saying I want them to look at it but he would just keep saying there's not really much point all they could do is an emissions test, I didn't bother booking it in for emmisiond test because it was recently MOT'd and that was fine. Kind of a shitty attitude if you ask me, gonna give them another call tomorrow and speak to someone else.

I wouldn't worry about it,
Emissions passed,
No engine management light,
Car runs fine.

The B pipe work would of loosened some soot and it's probably just exited out the back,
Also having the B pipe fitted will no doubt void anything if they find a fault

Hi, I have read this before but didn't have an answer, but recently I had a slight ingress of fuel into the crankcase, which can and does happen to direct fuel injected turbo engines. So I had my oil analysed in a laboratory and all was ok but was advised that the silicone levels were slightly raised.
Which basically is dust and were raised to 28 parts per million and that normally is around 20 parts per million and attention to the engines air filter was advised. I had read that a dirty engine air filter would cause the engine to run rich.
I had the engine filter checked by my local Honda Dealership by one of the technicians and I was present when he checked it, and had quite a lot of dust in it. So a new one was put in there and then. So I believe this was the reason why the engine was running rich and eventually the rich petrol will wash the oil off the bores and find its way into the crankcase. The ingress of oil was only slight. It also proves that an oil analysis will show things up well before problems can arise. It's worth noting that if the filter gets very bad it will trigger the indicator on the dash. I don't know when the filter was last checked, but one things for sure I will get it checked at every service to ensure the engine gets the correct amount of air it requires for a correct air/fuel mixture.
Regards Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have read this before but didn't have an answer, but recently I had a slight ingress of fuel into the crankcase, which can and does happen to direct fuel injected turbo engines. So I had my oil analysed in a laboratory and all was ok but was advised that the silicone levels were slightly raised.
Which basically is dust and were raised to 28 parts per million and that normally is around 20 parts per million and attention to the engines air filter was advised. I had read that a dirty engine air filter would cause the engine to run rich.
I had the engine filter checked by my local Honda Dealership by one of the technicians and I was present when he checked it, and had quite a lot of dust in it. So a new one was put in there and then. So I believe this was the reason why the engine was running rich and eventually the rich petrol will wash the oil off the bores and find its way into the crankcase. The ingress of oil was only slight. It also proves that an oil analysis will show things up well before problems can arise. It's worth noting that if the filter gets very bad it will trigger the indicator on the dash. I don't know when the filter was last checked, but one things for sure I will get it checked at every service to ensure the engine gets the correct amount of air it requires for a correct air/fuel mixture.
Regards Fred.

Further to my last quite also I've read very recently that soot is a bi product of direct fuel injection . Don't know how I missed the info before but it's well documented online. Keep an eye on your engine air filter make sure it's not full of dust. Also keep an eye on your mpg av consumption is around 33mpg in urban driving and up to around 37-38 or maybe more if doing long distances and driving economical with your right foot. Regards Fred.

Back