• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Cookie's FK8 Tale of Woe - 4th gear lockout and popout

What a crap start to your ownership.

I don't think I could have been as patient as you were! But it would appear you had a dealer that was willing to help and more importantly in these situations have open communications.

I also have to say, what a brilliantly written post.

Rafty if I ever have an issue mate can I hire you as my legal council!? :lol: mates forum rates of course (pint bag of pork scratchings)

My concerns are similar to raftyper, I don't do big mileage, I'm on 1500 since getting the car in February, but I've got some notchiness across 2/3/4 gear recently and gear changes arenet as smooth, ive had one occasion when I had a lock out of 4th too.

I don't drive the car too hard either so my concern is if I go back to the dealer now as there 100k away from me and they think it's not notchy or can't replicate a problem I'm just wasting time and a fob off, although at least it's noted if a further problem arises down the line

Hats off to both you and the dealership for getting it all resolved. From a dealership point it’s just as frustrating trying to resolve the problem.
I’ve just been in a similar situation trying to diagnose a running issue that’s taken 4 weeks to resolve after numerous messages, phone calls to technical and component changes. The customer is frustrated, the dealership won’t make any money and me as the technician has lost out also.
The plus side is that the issue in these circumstances will be logged and no doubt will be assessed by the factory to help others out in the future.

[video=youtube;zZMO25wYRMk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZMO25wYRMk[/video]

This guy have reviewed a lot great performance cars and he refers how good is the FK8 gearbox. Mine FK8 gearbox is amazing

Easy to tell he doesn't own it,every change banged through with zero mechanical sympathy,seems to be trying to prove he can change gear as fast as a dsg does.

I'm on 1200 miles now with no problems so far.However,although the box is good to use I would say it's not as slick as the FN2 one,but the FK8 transmits a lot more power so that might be expected.
I think it has slightly got better from new and hopefully after say 5k miles will improve more...at that point perhaps an oil change could be wise and an additive considered?

Anyone else had any gearbox issues of late? My own has me confused. I'm on about 2500miles at the moment and don't know if I'm being paranoid or if there is an issue. I've had a lockout a couple of times but notice the gear changes below 3000rpm feel notchy and crunchy and not smooth, although no noisey grind. Higher up in the revs the problem doesn't seem as evident and the changes are smoother which is what has me wondering is it paranoia!

It feels more like the shifter than the box so to speak as I'm not getting any grind noises, just clunky feeling changes through the stick as opposed to slick slip into gear. 2 people drove the car recently though and both commented that the gears felt hard to engage to them

It's definitely more noticeable as the miles add up though, im still waiting on a chance to get it to the dealers as I haven't bad the time but afraid I'm gonna get an oh there's no problem that's normal response even though it feels shifty driving about town in it

Touch wood no issues at all, great box to use. The fact you've actually had lock out would concern me mate, surely indicates an issue?

I nearly didn't buy an FK8 because the 'box in the local dealer's demonstrator seemed very notchy and imprecise. Nothing like the EP3 Type R or S2000 I owned years ago.

However the car I bought elsewhere after driving it feels totally different with a very slick but mechanical feeling gear change (touch wood, so far, etc). I can't explain why that would be, but there was definitely a difference between the two cars.

what R-0000 plate number is yours FK8R? My new one is just under 4 months now with 3.3k Miles. no issues of lockout, but I have noticed these last few (cool) mornings the gear shift does feel a bit more sluggish (draggy) on startup until she's gets warmed up.

Notchy gear changes in Autumn/Winter will be more noticeable, Honda thing from what I gather

Lock out would be a worry, up to just under 4K now and no such issues, it is a bit clunky early morning when cold, but like an engine the fluids and everything needs to warm up a little.

Got this same issue with my 70 plate, can’t believe Honda haven’t sorted this. My local dealer can’t look at the car until the end of this month!

My second gear has always been clunky when cold. The dealer had a look and we even did a from cold test drive. I did notice the mechanic was very slow at the point of moving the gear lever from first to second even pausing slightly in neutral before selecting second. I also noticed that he only used two fingers in front of the lever to push the lever into second. Using this method he couldn’t replicate the clunkiness that I get. I’ve adopted double clutching second gear when cold and it goes in slickly. When the gearbox is up to temperature it’s very smooth.

The clutch pedal clearance setting is also critical, both dealers who looked at my car for this issue missed the pedal clearance setting being incorrect (too great).

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Got this same issue with my 70 plate, can’t believe Honda haven’t sorted this. My local dealer can’t look at the car until the end of this month!

This is sh1t mate, I am really sorry you're going through this on a new car. It really is a lottery it seems. I agree you need to give an ultimatum as they are gonna have it in, scratch their heads for a bit, Honda scratch their heads so the sooner they get on with this the better, not wait for a month. Why can’t they see you sooner? They can sack off all the jazz services they have booked and see yours sooner surely

Unfortunately, I did not buy the car through my local dealer as they could not supply the car. I previously had an FN2 which I owned for thirteen years and this had a gearbox issue too. The FN2 had a synchro problem when going from 2nd to 3rd, my local dealer said there was not a problem with this, but when I contacted Honda direct they sorted this immediately. I was very impressed with Honda’s customer service, but on this occasion they are denying there is a problem.

Back