• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Metallic rattle when lifting off

My car is just coming up a year old and just over 1k miles, low miles for a year old due to combination of fact only picked up in April and car had been sat in a dealer show room for most of its life and I work from home.

So booked in for its first service asked them to look at an annoying metallic rattle.

When you lift off in any gear 1-4 you get a metallic rattling sound (not too loud) I have read online its the waste gate. Anyone else have that? Been there since day 1 but usually have music up and it doesn't sound nasty just interested to know if anyone else had spotted it / had it fixed.

I also get the 4 gear lockout issue from time to time, < half a dozen times since had it whereby I need to let clutch out and try again when going into 4th. Also had a slight 2nd gear graunch twice (never had that in a car since I was learning to drive 20+ years ago!).

Strangely all of the above when pootling rather than pushing on (and I mostly babied it until 700 miles).

Want to get both sorted before I stick the new exhaust, induction on and remap it.

I would say I have over sensitive hearing, I have never heard any metallic sound on lifting off. I rarely drive with the stereo or music on, occasionally one of my kids so would hear it. Get it checked.

mate I don't wanna be harsh but it sounds like you might have a bit a lemon there as you have the classic symptoms of major gear box probs which will only get worse as the miles increase. Check Cookies post for the full horror story :mad:

Metallic sound is a worry to. Check the suspension, as it may have been damaged by a pot hole. Chap from top gear had a similar sound after hitting one and one of the linking arms was dangling

Found this looks to be the same (have same play described later in thread). Dealer had also heard of it.

You have to have windows down and not be accelerating to hear (it’s pretty quiet to be fair).

https://www.civicx.com/threads/metallic-sound-when-decelerating.22390/

Both booked in for 1st August to be looked at during first service.

Also dropped a note to supplying dealer to make them aware as if it does turn out to be the same as Cookies would give 1 chance / 30 days to repair and then reject.

Car def not a lemon by any stretxhbthough as no rattles or squeaks or any imperfection in paint etc etc. Last lock out (some of the half a dozen prob more of slight notchyness / resistance rather than an actual lock out) or granch of any kind over 25+ drives and 500+ miles ago.

Like I said if issues to be sorted want any little niggle or sound sorted before I stick a mod in it. The 2nd gear issue wasn’t a proper crutch like I have heard on YouTube - ever so slight graunch twice once at around 350 miles once at around 550ish in slow traffic.

I had an s2k when they 1st came out and had similar 3-4 issues strangely (a Honda thing!??). Dealer did gearbox fluid change and never had a problem again (everyone was talking of doom back then). So that may sort, that car I still know and it’s now 150k miles on same gearbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for the lemon comment, someone dinged my door today so got the hump!

Some people have commented on a noisy diff actually, hope it's just that

Yeah for gods sake get it all sorted as if you mod it mate dealer/honda might not help you again!

lol no worries and really sorry to hear that. Door dingers are inconsiderate ***** and I live in constant fear of them!

As long as no paint damaged a good pdr guy will sort for less than £40.

Yeah may be that ref diff. Master tech is pretty good I hear and he wants to come out for a good drive (I’ll attempt to do honourable thing and scare **** out of him on a twisty route I use).

Won’t help I am the most anal person ever too which doesn’t help. The ultra ‘well made’ Porsche I had from new sent back 3 times under warranty inside 2k miles for rattles and gearbox notchyness - strangely they also have a known 3rd gear issue).

I once had an evora with a noisy thrust releae bearing and made poor old Lotus agree to replace that (40 hours labour back off car and engine out job).

Will report back what rattle turns out to be and if a fluid change does help / what happens.

I know the exact sound you are talking about. I also have it.. the strange thing is that the second you touch the accelerator it stops even if you are still "coasting". To me it sounds like the brake pads just ever so slightly touching the discs. I've also got a pretty bad crunch in 2nd gear.. not had a lockout yet though.

I took the smart repair insurance out so will get the door done no probs, it's just annoying......I've called them out 6 times since September, always the same guy thinking of inviting him for Xmas dinner....

I know the exact sound you are talking about. I also have it.. the strange thing is that the second you touch the accelerator it stops even if you are still "coasting". To me it sounds like the brake pads just ever so slightly touching the discs. I've also got a pretty bad crunch in 2nd gear.. not had a lockout yet though.

That’s the noise, a guy I know has one and was adamant he didn’t have the noise. Took him out for a spin and he said you are a Cnut as now I can hear it on mine as plain as day! :lol: I think most of them do it (baffling exactly what it is and why!)

Fan - 6 times! Jesus I have tyre insurance on all mine but only call them out when the tread gets low .... I mean a nail gets in them. They were out 4 times in 9 months on my GT4 ... happy coincidence it always happened when treaf was low... they must have been cussing me as the sport maxx race were £500 a corner (and I only paid £280 for the insurance!)

You have had your moneys worth out of yours too!!!

Back