• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC2 DB8 DC5 BIMTA Certificates and selling a DC5 - advise please

CJN

Hello everyone.

Long term member but hardly visit! I have a question regarding what to do when selling a DC5 when your car odometer wasn’t changed to reflect miles instead of kilometres.

My teg was imported by Torque GT in 2011 I think it was and then sold to a guy in Scotland who drove down to pick it up. He then sold the car to me in April 2012 and included a BIMTA certificate. The certificate says;

KMS 92189 — MLS 57285

So obviously when the car arrived in England it would then be added up in miles, yes? Problem I have is that when it’s gone for MOTs they write down the car has done 100k miles +! But this is obviously false.. as that is what the odometer says.

I got offered £6660 from we buy any car, but that seems very low to me.

How would I go about explaining the mileage come sale time to a private buyer? I’m so confused and would appreciate any input from you members.

Torque GT said I could send my dials down to them but I still need the car until I find a replacement run around. So that’s no good to me. And it costs around £80 plus postage and seems like a pain.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Cheers

It looks like it's been for its first MOT and the tester has written the KM figure down as miles. Mine had this, but it was written in KM on the certificate.

Mileage and imports is an odd area. I highly doubt you'll get the national mileage register to change their records but you can try. Other than that it's just a trust basis with the new owner so may be hard to shift sadly.

Heh! I remember the username, been a while!

Par for the course on imports. My Gtr was 100k km when I imported it, I changed it to miles but didn’t adjust the odo. I sold it with 112k on the clock which was in fact around 74k miles as a combination of km and miles. I had the original documents like yourself, selling to the next owner and explaining the situation, he didn’t have any issues or questions. Just be honest in your advert and when you talk to potential buyers.

GLWTS bud :)

As above, the sale requires some trust but that's the case when selling any used car IMO.

Something which may help is get a car report from Japan - you'll require your chassis number and setup an account on carvx.jp. (Costs about £15-20).
This will prove what the odometer read on import, surely from that figure (roughly) onwards is miles assuming the speedo conversion was fitted during the registration process.

When I imported the Stagea it had the speedo converted and the odometer changed too. Seems a lot of imports only have the speedo done.

It looks like it's been for its first MOT and the tester has written the KM figure down as miles. Mine had this, but it was written in KM on the certificate.

Mileage and imports is an odd area. I highly doubt you'll get the national mileage register to change their records but you can try. Other than that it's just a trust basis with the new owner so may be hard to shift sadly.

I think the first MOT was put down as kms... but since then it was done in miles for some reason.

And as for trusting me then that’s fine as when I explain the situation to a potential buyer, I can prove it with the certificate.

Heh! I remember the username, been a while!

Par for the course on imports. My Gtr was 100k km when I imported it, I changed it to miles but didn’t adjust the odo. I sold it with 112k on the clock which was in fact around 74k miles as a combination of km and miles. I had the original documents like yourself, selling to the next owner and explaining the situation, he didn’t have any issues or questions. Just be honest in your advert and when you talk to potential buyers.

GLWTS bud :)

Hey, hey Yeah, I just stopped coming back. Not sure why either.

Yeah, I’m hoping if I just explain the situation then all will be well. As it does all add up. I’ll always be honest anyway.

As above, the sale requires some trust but that's the case when selling any used car IMO.

Something which may help is get a car report from Japan - you'll require your chassis number and setup an account on carvx.jp. (Costs about £15-20).
This will prove what the odometer read on import, surely from that figure (roughly) onwards is miles assuming the speedo conversion was fitted during the registration process.

When I imported the Stagea it had the speedo converted and the odometer changed too. Seems a lot of imports only have the speedo done.

Thanks bud, I’ll look into that website! :)

And yeah it was a common thing to do that at Torque GT, but they apparently they now convert the Speedo and odo together.

Back