• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Single biggest mod for improved throttle response?

Hi

I've had my fn2 for a couple of months after having an ep3 for five years.

I've not exactly been nailing it, I know it's slower due to the balance shafts, being heavier, etc.. but hell, I'm struggling with throttle response.

Today for example, rolling up to a give way, it's a little blind sighted but usually enough space to simply plant the gas and get on with it if a car is coming at that inopportune moment. Well, that moment came and I put my foot to the floor and it felt like an eternity before it decided "Yep, with ya buddy" - it was probably only a quarter of a second by it felt like ages.

For those who have gone mod extreme (or those in knowledge) what single (or few) mods improve response?

I've got a HKS RSK on the way and I've just about got funds to go for the delete kit and cams (and hondata) but I'm not sure that is going to do much.

Thanks, Dan.

Is it bogging down on acceleration or do you mean you’re not getting into vtec? Or is the engine simply not responding? Presumably it revs and responds as expected when parked and in neutral?

I should add to that. Your biggest torque gains are to be had from an aftermarket decat exhaust manifold. This will require a retune with flashpro. That’ll give you some more umphf low down. I’m not an FN2 guy so I don’t know my induction kits, but I do know that RSK is open cone (hot air - less responsive) in the engine bay and made from foam (crap filtration). That’s two strikes. It’ll sound nice though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sorry dude, no it's not a fault... This is let's say when creeping to a junction, a couple of mph and then you floor it. It accelerates perfectly, just a lag before it plays giddy-up. I appreciate it's drive by wire which I recall reading has a lag but cmon... That can't be the best we can hope for!

Added to my first post for you.

Yea... I know what you mean. They’re just low on torque, kick the clutch and give her some revs... they do go a lot better when tuned though.

Unfortunately it's normal due to the naff DBW throttle.

Only fix is a remap to sharpen it, I still struggle heel toe sometimes due to it's random lag.

Unfortunately it's normal due to the naff DBW throttle.

Only fix is a remap to sharpen it, I still struggle heel toe sometimes due to it's random lag.

I was going to mention this too, its a pet peeve of any car I've driven with and electronic throttle pedal!

I really don’t get the complaints with DBW. Is it an internet myth? The ECU will respond in nanoseconds to an input. I never noticed it on my S2000 and I don’t notice it on my FD2 either.

The FN2 is legendary for it Chris. Christ knows why they mapped the throttle like that but it feels completely different with a proper remap.

The FN2 is legendary for it Chris. Christ knows why they mapped the throttle like that but it feels completely different with a proper remap.

I know a few FD2 people comment on it but I’ve never experienced it. Probably mapped that way due to emissions perhaps?

That lag is caused by DBW, very annoying problem..
Only fix i know to work is using flashpro to increase pedal responsiveness...
Personally i hate honda dbw, had it on FN2, CL9, and my former car, k20z4 swapped civic EG, all of them with the above nuisance present..

Back