• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bizarre shaking issue under hard cornering

Hi folks,

I have recently finally managed to cure a long standing and mysterious issue with my FN2. But not quite!

I had an issue where the car would shake violently under heavy acceleration mid-to-high revs. I changed all sorts of things, but in the end it ended up being solved by fitting new top mounts.

However, I still get this shake/wobble when cornering at high speed (I live in the Isle of Man, so that’s basically my entire commute). It’s not wheels or tyres as I have changed them many times since this developed, including last Friday. It’s also not an engine running issue (pulls and performs normally). I have replaced lower arm trailing bushes, arb links, top mounts and have overhauled and replaced the brakes several times. There is no play in the ball joint.

The shake does not make a noise, it just shakes the front of the car, so much so that it affects its overall cornering ability at or near the limit of adhesion. But it doesn’t do it on every fast corner, accute flat out corners with less body movement seem to trigger it.

If anyone has a clue, I will kiss them, as I’m all out of ideas.

Many thanks for your time

They are the originals, but ride and handling are otherwise fine. Looked in good nick when top mounts were changed last week. But it has crossed my mind that it could be them, just not come across these symptoms before.

122k . I’m guessing it’s probably worth chucking a set at it regardless now I think of it

It’s worth having then looked at to be honest.

They were inspected when they were off he car last week for the top mounts to be done and deemed fine.

Does anyone know how the steering rack is mounted? Ie on rubber or solid?

Could be driveshaft related.

I had a similar problem, turned out to be a failed engine mount allowing the engine to move on corners, and thus compress/extend the CVs to the point they make vibration.

Another one for either failing engine/gearbox mounts or a worn driveshaft and/or CV joints.
Be also worth checking wheel alignment if you haven’t already have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have apready replaced all of the gearbox and engine mounts with updated items in the last few months. But I d have a pair of driveshafts in the garage. But vibration caused by these would surely be much faster and more violent at high speed?

I’m digging up the dead here, I know. But I thought it may help others.

I have just found out what caused this problem. Offside intermediate driveshaft support bearing. Looks at the play in that!

[video=youtube_share;Uz_u5C_VRZ4]https://youtu.be/Uz_u5C_VRZ4[/video]

The bummer is that it’s not just the bearing but the rubber that’s molded to the housing that gone to hell. And you can’t buy the support on its own, only an entire shaft. From Honda. Preparing for butt-fondling by my clueless local dealer.

Thanks Mike - though it shows them individually if you look at the numbers there is no separate listing for the housing.

Thanks Mike - though it shows them individually if you look at the numbers there is no separate listing for the housing.

Sure, but you don't need the housing, you'd likely need new bearings and seals. If the housing itself were cracked then replacing the whole thing is the only option. If the bearings are shot then replacing just those is still an option after pressing the old ones out, isn't it?

The rubber that you press the bearing into is shot, as per the video. Only way to replace that is a new housing or an entire shafting (in more way than one).

It appears to be almost unheard of - but even track cars won’t have had the sustained hammer this car has, so I’ll let it off.

Typical that this would happen as the mountain road goes one way for TT today.

Back