• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Need help / Advice on Brembo Brake Discs and pads (EP3)

So to cut a log story short my OEM discs have warped so in need of some new ones. I have been looking at just getting some more OEM discs however I found these and thought they would make a nice upgrade and they look really nice. They’re brembos all round so I figured the quality would be really good. Still new to all this so would appreciate some advice. By the way I’ve got an EP3 premier edition 55 plate.

Here’s the link to the discs I was looking at they come with brembo pads as well;

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIVI...275595&hash=item4ac5567678:g:-bAAAOxy04NRGShs

Thanks in advance guys.

I think the general response from most people on here would be to stay away from grooved and drilled discs.

What is wrong with OEM?

Why stay away from them mate and I just Wanted a little upgrade don’t want to spend silly amounts is all.

Why stay away from them mate and I just Wanted a little upgrade don’t want to spend silly amounts is all.

Drilled discs can crack across the drilled holes due to imperfections (I think those done before forging/heat-treating are more forgiving, but they cost more)
Cracked_drilled_rotors.jpg

They also carry less mass, so each part of the disc has to cope with more heat (less overall rotor mass).

As others have said, the better option would be to spend more on pads rather than pretty discs.

Slotted rotors can be a little noisier too.

Oh right so it doesn’t matter that they’re brembo then they will still crack like the picture above? Are brembo pads still alright then?

No guarantee on cracking, just seems pointless to risk when regular discs will work great for most driving.

Several members here run their (significantly more powerful) cars on regular discs for track-days. If you're going to be making a habit of it then it's likely better to save up some money and buy a big brake kit (bigger discs/pads, more pistons, less brake fade). Before you get there though some decent pads, fluid, and braided lines will likely improve things significantly (Goodridge hoses, Motul RBF600 fluid, pads are a constant source of discussion :) ).

So is there any stopping & cooling difference from the drilled and slotted ones when compared to the OEM ones? Or is it purely aesthetic?

Grooved and drilled discs can aid keeping the brakes cooler and cleaning the pad surface reducing glazing. Nothing you’d feel on the road or occasional track use.
The Brembo name means nothing unless you’re spending in the region of 4 figures for their products.
Cheap drilled discs tend to crack easier with heavy use as they haven’t been through the proper manufacturing methods to produce a disc that can cope with the abuse.
Discs with directional cooling vanes are worth looking out for. Stoptech and RPB make these discs but they’re also grooved and come at a premium.

Yeah wouldn't bother with drilled discs as the guys have said they crack, and TBH I've run Brembo OEM pads too and the Brembo pads are not an upgrade over OEM neither, I experienced quite a bit of fade with them with some fast road driving I already had Motul RBF600 fluid so the fade was due to the pads.

I would stick to OEM discs unless you want to splash out a little more coin. Get some Motul fluid (really good stuff). Also chuck in some braided hoses (they make a huge difference).

Pads are difficult really so many people on here have different opinions but it mostly depends on what you are using the car for.

I used mine for daily/fast road use and the set up I went for was:

RPB discs front and rear (although I currently have Brembo High Carbon blank rear discs) RPB's are very good in my opinion (maybe overkill for road use but I really liked them and would definitely buy again),

RPB braided lines (Again no issues with them at all and a decent upgrade),

Motul RBF600 fluid (Again really good stuff),

I used EBC Redstuff pads and they were fine for road use, although some will disagree, they were fine for what I wanted them for but I have changed now to Dixcel pads.

The Dixcel are a noisier pad than the EBC's and are not quite as good when cold but once warmed up they definitely bite more than the EBC's but I've found both of them good for everyday occasional fast use.

I have put Brembo OEM coated discs & pads on my FN2 - little bit more than non-coated but should stay looking good for longer (from Eurocarparts)
Unless you rush around at track speed all the time they are fine, don't seem to produce much dust either & no irritating squeals.

Back