• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Cosmic Grey Paint Restoration

Hi all

Following my recent purchase of the EP3 this weekend, one of the things I wanted to tackle first (aside from the clutch) is this issue with a small section of the bodywork above the drivers side rear passengers window.

The paint appears to have been sprayed with something corrosive perhaps and I'd like to deal with this as soon as possible so it doesn't get worse. It feels a little rough to touch and it's not as shiny as the rest of the car which you can see in the picture below.

ACVAoXT.jpg

Does anyone have any tips/recommendations on where to start with this? I don't want to make it any worse or ruin it so thought it was best to ask people here who knew more.

Cheers!

Is it on top of the clear coat and/or has it damaged the clear coat in any way? I can't really tell from the photo.

If it's rough to the touch maybe a clay bar might remove it or possibly a polish?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Is it on top of the clear coat and/or has it damaged the clear coat in any way? I can't really tell from the photo.

If it's rough to the touch maybe a clay bar might remove it or possibly a polish?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I believe it may have damaged the clear coat. I can't tell what's done it but it looks like liquid's been sprayed against it which you can see if you look closely at the bottom right of the photo.

Perhaps "rough to the touch" wasn't the best way of putting it. It's more of a matte feel to the paintwork as opposed to the glossy smooth feel of the rest of the car.

A clay bar was what I was thinking of trying but my lack of experience determined I should get a few more opinions before jumping in and making it any worse!

It may be possible to polish the marks out but the trouble is if the clear coat is already damaged and you polish too much you could strike through to the paint.

Definitely worth hanging fire for now. I'm sure someone will come along shortly to give some further advice. You certainly don't want to make anything worse particularly as you have only just got it.

Be interested in what other people have to say regarding it. I'm fairly new to this detailing lark. I have far more products for my car than I care to count. It's all good fun though.

Ok so I've taken a few more pictures of the issue to give you guys and idea of how to help me tackle this! It's gruesome and I hope I can recover it.

xIcVGgY.jpg

zG5L48H.jpg

jndr45W.jpg

You could try a clay bar to see if it is contaminants but it does look like clear coat damage. Call a smart repairer or call into a local paint shop, hopefully they will be able to just clear coat it again as long as the paint is thick enough to sand through the remaining clear coat if not it will be a respray

Back