• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Tyre Deflation System

Morning all

Does anyone know how the tyre deflation system works or has anyone had issues with it on their FK8?

I got the light on my dash recently, went to a garage and checked the pressure and none of the tyres were below 30 PSI, fronts were on 36ish and backs were around 30.

I pumped the fronts to 38 and rears to 34 and "recalibrated" the system again and a couple days later it came back on so I checked the pressure again and the rears had dropped about 2 PSI and the fronts about 1-2. I just assumed this was because a slight bit of air comes out the tyre when you pull the pump off.....
But still this minimal amount of pressure loss shouldn't cause the system to come on.

Also it doesn't even tell you which tyre it is, on a Japanese 2018 car - isn't this a little poor or am I missing something?
My mates Vauxhall tells you which tyre, and his cars a piece of sheet.

I'm almost hoping its an electrical fault, as that'll be covered by warranty ?

Cheers

when you recalibrate, I'm told you need to do it 3 times in a row to force the system to do a proper reset and full re-calibrate.

that said, a few owners have had on/off problems with the TPMS system so if it's still going "ping" (and assuming you don't actually have a slow puncture and losing pressure) get Honda to take a look next time you are having the car looked at.

Ours went off randomly a couple of weeks back. All tyres c30psi.

I adjusted them to the low load above 220kph setting (why not, always handy for the school run :D). Reset the dash and it hasn't come back on.

I also rotated tyres. Wow, loads more grip with nearly new rubber from the rear than the 6,000mile old fronts. Probably still 4mm+ left on the fronts after 6,000miles which I thought was pretty good. Inside edges were a little more worn but certainly not excessive.

Morning all

Does anyone know how the tyre deflation system works or has anyone had issues with it on their FK8?

I got the light on my dash recently, went to a garage and checked the pressure and none of the tyres were below 30 PSI, fronts were on 36ish and backs were around 30.

I pumped the fronts to 38 and rears to 34 and "recalibrated" the system again and a couple days later it came back on so I checked the pressure again and the rears had dropped about 2 PSI and the fronts about 1-2. I just assumed this was because a slight bit of air comes out the tyre when you pull the pump off.....
But still this minimal amount of pressure loss shouldn't cause the system to come on.

Also it doesn't even tell you which tyre it is, on a Japanese 2018 car - isn't this a little poor or am I missing something?
My mates Vauxhall tells you which tyre, and his cars a piece of sheet.

I'm almost hoping its an electrical fault, as that'll be covered by warranty ?

Cheers

The TPMS has gone off falsely twice in mine. The last time I recalibrated was about two months ago and no problems since.

According to the manual, hard acceleration or braking can trigger a false alert (it's a hot hatch FFS!). It also goes on to say:

"Instead of directly monitoring the pressure in each tyre, the deflation warning system on this vehicle monitors and compares the rolling radius and rotational characteristics of each wheel and tyre while you are driving to determine if one or more tyres are significantly under-inflated."

So it uses the ABS sensors rather than direct monitoring via TPMS valves in each wheel.

They went off all the time on the FK2 as well. It starts off with you coming off the motorway to check, to you not being bothered by it and resetting it at the next set of lights.

Seems common in systems that work off the ABS sensors looking for minor differences in rotational speeds...

The TPMS that measures wheel rotation (more specifically wheel rotation frequency) isn’t the most accurate and can be triggered by other means. As said driving the car hard can cause the light on, difference of a few mm of tread between the tyres, wheel buckle, hitting pot holes etc.
Ideally after resetting the TPMS you need to drive along a relatively straight smooth road for the system to correctly calibrate. Something that’s a struggle on our roads.

From what I understand the calibration process needs at least a single 15 mile run taking in loads of left and right hand bends as well as some straight roads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah you reset it from the dash but if it doesn't get enough 'driving' it will flash up next time I start it. I was in Cornwall, a looong way from home when it flashed up first time and I was proper panicking but just another little quirk this car has

Mine pinged this morning, first use since having new fronts, recalibrated and will see tonight if it's cleared

I change my wheels for track use and when going back to the OEM wheels I get this a lot. Interesting to know it needs a fair distance to calibrate correctly.

Mine pinged today for the first time (700 miles old), I had just been driving it fairly hard so I was a bit anxious about it. Pulled over and everything seemed fine. I'd like to be able to monitor individual tire pressures. Fairly common on a lot of cars these days, bit disappointing its not on the FK8.

This happened to mine last night. I’ve only covered just over 1000miles. I adjusted the pressures at the weekend but didn’t drive it after resetting the tyre pressure monitoring system. I can only assume it was that.

Must be something in the water? Mine has done it too.
I’d say it’s warmed up this week so possibly contributing to it? Cold air being denser and all that?

Must be something in the water? Mine has done it too.
I’d say it’s warmed up this week so possibly contributing to it? Cold air being denser and all that?

It happened about 7-8 times on both of the FK8’s I owned in approx 6 months.

It’s not happened once on the car I currently own. I would suggest it’s just a lesser quality TPMS, along with the collision warning etc etc ...

i had issues in the first year or 2 in the fk2. not quite sure what it but doesnt seem to go off anymore.
maybe i've had an update at service time (i know they do HU updates without prompting), maybe reintialize at trackdays and winter wheel swaps have just covered up the unexpected alerts.

i do admit it seems overly sensitive. iirc 1.5psi difference and it'd trigger. those sunny cold-in-the-shade days seem to upset when your on long motorway journeys where one side will heat up more because of the sun.

It happened about 7-8 times on both of the FK8’s I owned in approx 6 months.

It’s not happened once on the car I currently own. I would suggest it’s just a lesser quality TPMS, along with the collision warning etc etc ...

Yeah but it's not a 'competition' is it....:p :D

Back