• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Brake cooling

So I did my first track day in my newly tracked out EP3 and after the first session I got in and realised the front drivers calliper had got so hot it had melted the paint off the calliper and it had all flaked off. It was a very hot day and I maybe did 2 laps too many considering the outside temperature.

Anyway I have just fitted some BYC brake cooling plates and ducts, when I removed the callipers I found that the drivers side pads were a lot more worn that the passenger side. One thing I didn’t realise is the drivers side had the dust/splash guard over the disc still in place and the passenger side didn’t so it goes to show that when removed it helps to cool the brakes better.

The Ferodo DS2500 pads didn’t cope too well and require changing after only 1 day at Blyton, I’ll be trying PBS at Cadwell in a couple weeks but hopefully the new ducts and removed guard will help them last a little longer as cooling should be much better now.

Has anyone else fitted the BYC brake ducting and plates if so where did you route them as the website says it is best to swap hubs so the callipers are front mounted, however I hadn’t planned to do this so had to route under the drive shaft and tie to the wishbone and then to the hole in the splitter. I jacked up each side and they seem clear of the drive shaft when the suspension works.

This is how they are now routed.

941697ac3e18948a619de3f9acb4132e.jpg
179acdfc5fea57df8e6d0e709b164e73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
This is how I first routed them but it didn’t work out up there as when I turned the wheel it hit the pipe so had to rethink and the only other place was lower down.

cd0498dc67bcc811d27ed94563248132.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooling helps a lot. There’s nothing wrong with routing them lower but the diameter looks fat so it may catch on speed bumps.

Why did you got DS2500? They’re crap! I bet someone told you that they’re good?

Hopefully I shouldn’t have to tackle too many speed bumps as it’s a dedicated track car and gets trailered to and from the track.

Yes I was told DS2500 were good :( lesson learned and won’t run them again. I’ll try the PBS as believe they are supposed to be very good.

If it’s a track only car you should be looking at a BBK if you don’t already have one and some pads such as RS29, CL6e etc.

i Eventually plan on racing in the civic cup and believe you have to run standard callipers so need to get used to it as is. If I change my mind about racing in that championship then I’d certainly look in to a BBK.

Which cup? You may be able to use Brembo’s off a DC5 etc. Weight is key if stuck on single piston.

Yes I’ve been keeping my eye out for some DC5 callipers, are they a straight swap? The car with its cage and tank of fuel weighs 1060kg.

This is on the rules -

Engine

Engines must be naturally aspirated Honda B16 or K20 series engine which came in the relevant model being raced.

Suspension

Club controlled coilovers.

Brakes

Discs and calipers must be of standard type, pattern, and Honda OEM only. Pads are club controlled.

Transmission

Standard H-pattern gearbox with synchro engagement only.

Tyres

A control tyre from MRF Tyres is mandatory and new for 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use DC5 or even FK2 calipers. They need custom brackets to fit and different discs (S2000 IIRC for DC5 calipers). Someone like TGM or Performance Autoworks will be able to advise properly.

Back