• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Starter Motor options

Looks like mine is on it's way out. What options are there and what have people gone for ?

I see a lot of used units for the £40 mark on the bay of fleas, is it worth going for genuine used one or a brand new aftermarket for £90 ? Can the genuine ones be refurbished?

Cheers

Doubt it'll be economically viable to repair, I could be wrong though. It's a case of finding a local engineering shop that does motor winding and such. They're few and far between these days unfortunately. We're a throwaway society.

I'd go for a 2nd hand OEM personally. Aftermarket is asking for problems.

What's the symptoms? Mine use to screech about 50% of the time, now it doesn't screech at all, which is strange

Doubt it'll be economically viable to repair, I could be wrong though. It's a case of finding a local engineering shop that does motor winding and such. They're few and far between these days unfortunately. We're a throwaway society.

I'd go for a 2nd hand OEM personally. Aftermarket is asking for problems.

I found a fe shops but mostly around central London or 60+ miles from me. I ll give one a call to see what a full refurb of the original starter costs.

What's the symptoms? Mine use to screech about 50% of the time, now it doesn't screech at all, which is strange

It feels like it stays on after the car starts making a screeching noise. Doesn't do it all the time though, but enough times for me to notice.

Oh that's really common, nothing to worry about. Refurb or replacement, it could still do the same thing.

Oh that's really common, nothing to worry about. Refurb or replacement, it could still do the same thing.

Think that'll be the solenoid sticking, mine does it occasionally.

So leave it for now till it actually dies? I enjoy preventative maintenance but the bills keep growing, so if it ain't broke I ll leave it. Started the car up twice today and didn't do it so f it..

Back