• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Got my first EML!

So after about 11 years of near faultless ownership from my EP3, yesterday i got my first EML while driving:(
The car was stuttering a bit while driving normally in a 30 over the last couple of days. With a constant light press on the gas pedal it would feel like a misfire/hesitaton until i pressed the pedal to sort of clear it's throat, after that it drove fine until it done it yesterday and threw up an EML.

I have one of those cheap Bluetooth OBDII readers i bought years ago for when this type of situation inevitably was going to happen. I plugged it in and i am getting the code P0132 which is said to be High Voltage from the Bank 1 Oxygen sensor. I cleared the code and it didn't come back on while the car was warm and drove fine for about 20mins after i cleared the codes. I had an idea it would come back again and no doubt today i started it up and went for a spin and within a couple of mins another slight hesitation and up pops the EML. Cleared it again and it didn't come back on for 30mins driving after. It only seems to happen when the car starts up from cold.

I have searched and cannot find what the live readings should be while driving from the O2 sensors. I am getting on average 0.75v from bank 1 and 0.85 from bank 2 sensors while driving normally in a 30. The sensor isn't totally dead yet as i am still getting the readings from it and after clearing the code, it doesn't come straight back on until the car cools down so far. Is there a way to clean them out or is it going to be a new sensor?

I take it the Bank 1 sensor is the one before the cat which is the most expensive one? Why are these sensors so god damn expensive?

Last edited by a moderator:
Replace it. A fubar o2 sensor will only screw you on fuel, emissions and prematurely wear out the CAT too.

Expensive due to rare metals contained within. Zirconium and titanium dioxide.

Bet they're still only worth a couple quid in scrap though.

Cheers Hazz. £260 for the front OEM Honda one. FML!

NGK one's are around a third of the price of the OEM. Surely NGK are a decent brand. Worth a punt or false economy?

It wouldn't surprise me if the Honda one is made by NGK.

Maybe someone with specific experience can chime in here?... I'd say yea, worth a punt.

I bought an NTK (same company as NGK) from Euro car parts years ago and has been ok since.
Check the wiring also as the connector plug is under the car and can give intermittent readings because of water and dirt ingress.

That's good to know that the NTK one's do actually last as i have read of people using non OEM one's and them not lasting long. Surely Honda outsource them from a company like NGK or Denso?

I will get under the car tomorrow and have a good nosey around the sensor wires and plug to see if it is dirty inside the plug or if any of the wires look ropey.

Is there anything that can throw up the p0132 code other than it being the bank 1 o2 sensor like valve clearances or such?

NTK/NGK have the K20A2 EP3 listed on their site so i will go with one of those i think.
MmygDmq.jpg

I bought an NTK (same company as NGK) from Euro car parts years ago and has been ok since.
Check the wiring also as the connector plug is under the car and can give intermittent readings because of water and dirt ingress.

Ditto above....

Back