• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Restoring headlights?

My headlights on my EP3 have started to get oxidized so i am looking to try and bring them back to life.

I am intending on getting the Autoglym headlight restoration kit which seems to work well but what should i use to protect them from the UV rays since i will have removed the protective layer from the headlights. Is there a spray or gel type solution that is best suited for the job?

I don't really fancy spending £190 on new headlights if i can correct the ones i have myself for around £30 mate.

I am a bit Simply Red at the moment. (Monies too tight to mention!)

Wax, it's not as long lasting as the OEM coating obviously, but a quick wax once every couple weeks will help to stop the fog from coming back.

I documented the process somewhere in my build thread, feel free to wander around. I ll try find the exact steps and what materials you need when i get home tonight.

Fair comment. I just found that restored ones never really give the finish I wanted and can quickly turn again even with protection. SK-R may have better materials to use

All you really need is some mega fine grit wet & dry and a polisher of some sort. Even a drill dingus end polisher will do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did mine about 6 months ago. They're pretty poor again already. I've put some uv protectant stuff on them a few times.

Next time I do them ill get them lacquered as that's about the only way to stop it happening again. Can't see a body shop charging much to give them a coat.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Meguiars also do a headlight restoration kit now.
I have a DA polisher and i use autobrite correction polish and they come up a treat, you can use a wax to protect it but I find they go yellowish quicker when you use the wax which is strange.

Meguiars also do a headlight restoration kit now.
I have a DA polisher and i use autobrite correction polish and they come up a treat, you can use a wax to protect it but I find they go yellowish quicker when you use the wax which is strange.

The wax isn't UV opaque, so the UV continues to cause damage to the polycarbonate. Units from the factory have a UV coating on them, once that's gone is when you start to get fogging/clouding. It's much worse in places like NZ, Aus, and South Africa for example (the joys of the ozone hole).

The wax isn't UV opaque, so the UV continues to cause damage to the polycarbonate. Units from the factory have a UV coating on them, once that's gone is when you start to get fogging/clouding. It's much worse in places like NZ, Aus, and South Africa for example (the joys of the ozone hole).

You are completely correct. Try using this stuff https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A3S1RGU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been putting a coat on my new headlights each time i give the car a wax.

Cool good to know, I did think the wax wouldn't protect from uv.
I've just bought my mate the meguiars kit for his EP3 so when he uses it, I'll let you all know the results.

I did mine a couple of times but it's gets boring really quickly how much effort I was having to put in to keep on top of it so replaced them earlier this year, much better.

Spent half hour on mine with a machine polisher and different compounds. They’re much better but never 100% perfect and like everyone else says, it’ll probably need doing again in the near future.

I Used autoglym super resin polish on my wifes ep2 same
Lenses as the ep3.use a clean duster or microfibre and rub in overlapping circles. What looks like a map on the lenses is the uv factory coating breaking down and coming off. The front lenses are polycarbonate which reacts with the sun and will oxidise
As I say use autoglym super resin polish using a duster and overlapping circles don't press on very hard but firm,
If you look at the duster or microfibre it should have a brown colour on it as it's taking the brown oxidation off the lenses, once you see this move your fingers inside the duster to a clean part of the duster. It may take you about 30to 45 mins to see a difference, but you should see the clarity in the lenses. They will come up clear and you should see the brownish tint gone or almost gone.Yes the uv coating will have gone so you will need to do this every 8 to 12 weeks
There are clear coatings you can buy on line which will stop the polycarbonate reacting with the sun and oxidising. I never bought any but just kept cleaning with autoglym super resin polish. As soon as you've finished with s r p you will need to seal the lens with a wax. I used collinite 476s wax a bit pricey but excellent and buffed up looks brill. Also good good for the car too. Just remember don't go mad take it steady and notice the results as you go on. As one other member said the next thing would be a new set of headlights or used from scrappers etc.All the best Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a kit on Amazon called DHOutdoors, it was £7.99, it contains 3 grades wet and dry paper, polish and lacquer, as well as drill mounted holders. I found the best way was to use 1200 wet and dry, with lots of water, then the polish, which is like T Cut. To finish off I used Peak metal polish. They look like new, probably took about 2 hours each. I haven't applied the lacquer yet.

The problem is that the front headlights are made of polycarbonate which is impact resistant, but uncoated reacts with the sun's uv rays and will oxidise.When new they come with a clear uv filter applied at the factory so no reaction occurs.After a few years the filter will have been subject to stone impacts and scratches which starts to break down the uv filter and that's when oxidation starts until such time you have refurb the lenses to clarity and coat with a uv resistant coating.
Now the rear light lenses are made of Acrylic which is resistant to uv rays from the sun, but not impact resistant
Maybe one day in a laboratory somewhere they will invent a compound that is both impact resistant and naturally resistant to the sun's uv rays.
Regards Fred.

The problem is that the front headlights are made of polycarbonate which is impact resistant, but uncoated reacts with the sun's uv rays and will oxidise.When new they come with a clear uv filter applied at the factory so no reaction occurs.After a few years the filter will have been subject to stone impacts and scratches which starts to break down the uv filter and that's when oxidation starts until such time you have refurb the lenses to clarity and coat with a uv resistant coating.
Now the rear light lenses are made of Acrylic which is resistant to uv rays from the sun, but not impact resistant
Maybe one day in a laboratory somewhere they will invent a compound that is both impact resistant and naturally resistant to the sun's uv rays.
Regards Fred.

Thanks for that, I have the uv coating which I will use when conditions are a bit better! The kit I bought came with that too, two sachets.

Back