• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New tyres

those kumhos seem to get good reviews. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/Ecsta-PS91.htm
i'm a big believer in you get what you pay for. £100 for the 19" fk2 (or £110 for the 255's i run) seem faaar too cheap.

which FB group is that rick? i'm on one of them but not seen any bent FK2 wheels.

Ditto on what you pay for and I did find on most sites the Rainsports were around £140 each hence when I saw that at £110 I ordered 4 when I don't need them. I know they will not be a PS4 but firmly believe they will be a better all rounder for the FK8 daily driver than the CSC6. With the FB groups it was around last February when we had the snow there were around 3-4 different owners posting pictures of a PS4 which had done a pot hole and the tyre wall was ruined on the 2 main FK2 groups, as far as I know the rims were fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto on what you pay for and I did find on most sites the Rainsports were around £140 each hence when I saw that at £110 I ordered 4 when I don't need them. I know they will not be a PS4 but firmly believe they will be a better all rounder for the FK8 daily driver than the CSC6. With the FB groups it was around last February when we had the snow there were around 3-4 different owners posting pictures of a PS4 which had done a pot hole and the tyre wall was ruined on the 2 main FK2 groups, as far as I know the rims were fine.

when i joined the 'Honda Civic Type R - FK2 Owners and Fans' FB group i got back reading. dunlop RT2's didn't seem to be liked. i like 'em for road. Would definitely go for them again if it weren't for track use as they ride on the road really well.

Rainsports fitted and done around 6 miles. They are definitely better in the wet and to me the feel of the steering feels the same as before however I am aware if you were pushing it then the CSC6 and oem size would feel a lot better. First impressions and thoughts are for sure I have made the right choice over the CSC6 for the general commuter as I feel a lot more confident in the wet grip which one would assume would be better if I got caught on the white stuff even though I will admit I was very impressed by the CSC6 in the snow which was a shock.

However my best impression of the rain sports comes from the tyre size as for sure the 255 against the 245 now fits the rim and gives a little rim protection while the 35 profile against the 30 gives a very nice ride and I dare say in comfort mode it is better than the 10G Civic with the 16" tyres I have been using all day which really does make the FK8 really smooth on the road just for that extra 5mm of tyre side wall.

Have I made a mistake? on tyre size I think not as 255/35/20 fit the rim properly and give a better ride while being a more common size so a lot more choice at around £50 per corner cheaper however if you was tracking the car I suspect you would prefer the oem size for handling reason while as a day to day road car for sure the 255/35 set-up makes a lot more sense. When it comes to the Rainsports I guess only time will tell but if they last as well or a little better than the CSC6 then I guess for what they cost they will be fine if not then I guess next time its will be AS3 or PS4 but it will be worth noting these come new with 8mm of tread depth while if memory serves me correct the CSC6 only come with around 6.5mm - 7mm max when new.

It's not an extra 5mm of tyre wall. 35 refers to the % profile against the tyre width.

245 * 30/100 = 73.50
255 * 35/100 = 89.25

That's a 15.75 mm difference which results in a greater overall diameter of 31.5mm or ~ 1.25". Is your speedo still accurate?

I'm amazed you can tell all of the above after 6 miles, but if you're happy with them fair enough.

Apologies if my maths are out - Christmas drinks and all that :)

It's not an extra 5mm of tyre wall. 35 refers to the % profile against the tyre width.

245 * 30/100 = 73.50
255 * 35/100 = 89.25

That's a 15.75 mm difference which results in a greater overall diameter of 31.5mm or ~ 1.25". Is your speedo still accurate?

I'm amazed you can tell all of the above after 6 miles, but if you're happy with them fair enough.

My FK8 was never accurate, and most cars aren't if you check against GPS (I still have to drive a car that is even close to GPS speed, which, in a straight line, is real speed). Real 70 MPH is around 76-77 on my FK8, similar value with my old car

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/how-accurate-is-a-car-speedometer/

245 * 30/100 = 73.50
255 * 35/100 = 89.25

Speedo reads 30mph and navigation gps tracked speed is 29mph so pretty close

fwiw on fk2, 235/35/19's gave 70 and something like 65 on gps.
going to 255/35/19's put speedo about bang on perfect with gps - 70 is 70.
no idea if the maths check out - far easier to just look at GPS to compare.

like RickHondaR, i found 255's were cheaper due to the german crowd using them. more options, better pricing and hopefully means stocked tyres if i need one in an emergency.

It doesn't alter the issue that the stock speedo reading has changed as a result of a larger diameter wheel. As long as it isn't under reading and there's no reliance on it over reading as a safety margin, then all is good.

1c5aa08d4386503eb979b27fbfa2e329.jpg
9ad71989b6d74e50e3575a1888bf4fb2.jpg

...and finally I got my Team Dynamics fitted... now done about 200 miles.

Initial thoughts... I am liking the 18”s feeling of invincibility... I know that’s as much a state of mind as anything - knowing the wheels are likely to survive a pothole or expansion joint without bursting or worse still, buckling. But the car definitely now feels more ‘chuckable’. I’m already covering typical rutted Norfolk B roads noticeably faster...

They do change the character of the car. With the original 20”s fitted the car is defined by the razor-sharp turn-in and rock-solid cornering grip, now I’m more inclined to do a rally style ‘flick’ to get it tucked-in, it feels more mobile through the corner too.

I’m going to get new Conti’s for the OE wheels and will probably revert to them next summer, but in the meantime, I’m really enjoying the extra confidence and playfulness of the smaller wheels and Michelin PS4’s (not S).

Incidentally, the weight saving was less than expected, but still useful 2kg per corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking to change my MK3 Focus RS for a type R in the new year. I am not in a hurry so will wait for the MY19 cars to arrive.
But one thing I really don't like about the Type R are the 20" Black rims with the Red band, I don't like the Black 19" wheels on the Focus either !
So its nice to see a Type R on 18' wheels which is what I would do.

Regarding tyre wear - it sounds horrendous on the Honda! another good reason for smaller wheels.
The RS by the way is still on its original Michelins. It will be 3 years old in April & I don't expect to need new tyres before its first MOT (currently 27,000 miles)

...and finally I got my Team Dynamics fitted... now done about 200 miles.

What offset did you get? I had a chat with them and you can fit the Pro-Race 1.3's with 55 offset (18x8.5 ET55), but they need to make them (takes a few weeks). I think I will get them next year for track duty (cheaper tyres), but we will see... I am still in shock on how expensive it is to insure the car for track use :(

What offset did you get? I had a chat with them and you can fit the Pro-Race 1.3's with 55 offset (18x8.5 ET55), but they need to make them (takes a few weeks). I think I will get them next year for track duty (cheaper tyres), but we will see... I am still in shock on how expensive it is to insure the car for track use :(

Do tell!?

Do tell!?

When I asked for quotations early this year I got between £140-200 per track day, then you have to add the track day (£90-180 depending on track/day) + tyres + petrol... And I know that the first time I take the FK8 to the track I'm going to want to do it every week :S

ET55 is wrong, Rimstock initially supplied a set to that spec and they hit the calipers. ET45 is what you need. Speak to Justin and pay £705 for a set Pro-Race 1.3's delivered.

Car feels so good now on 18"s, initially I thought I'd be returning to 20"s next summer, but the more I drive it, the more it just works now. I think the car was amazing DESPITE the huge wheels and tyres, not because of them.

Also, such a relief to know the wheels are now weapons grade, so you can attack a B road with conviction without a motorcyclists eye out for potholes!

If I ever get an FK8 in the near future, the first thing I am doing is ditching those ridiculous wheels and getting myself some Volks with fat rubber. Something like this:

5cd27799-f2d0-480b-a2c6-a6cd39f5e105-jpeg.81848

8862686c-7895-4861-a3a5-44648aa0f13f-jpeg.78465

Perfect fitment imo:

7c030521-0b35-459a-96bf-d46c767d865c-jpeg.78464

ET55 is wrong, Rimstock initially supplied a set to that spec and they hit the calipers. ET45 is what you need. Speak to Justin and pay £705 for a set Pro-Race 1.3's delivered.

Car feels so good now on 18"s, initially I thought I'd be returning to 20"s next summer, but the more I drive it, the more it just works now. I think the car was amazing DESPITE the huge wheels and tyres, not because of them.

Also, such a relief to know the wheels are now weapons grade, so you can attack a B road with conviction without a motorcyclists eye out for potholes!

It sounds like you like your B - unnamed roads the same as I do, so you're saying that the extra torque steer is not noticeable? I get some on shitty roads and overtaking on B-roads, so I know that car is only zero torque steer on perfect motorway tarmac, but in real world situations you do have to fight a bit.

It sounds like you like your B - unnamed roads the same as I do, so you're saying that the extra torque steer is not noticeable? I get some on shitty roads and overtaking on B-roads, so I know that car is only zero torque steer on perfect motorway tarmac, but in real world situations you do have to fight a bit.

For me, there doesn’t appear to be any more torque-steer than with the 20”s. There’s no reason there should be what with the tyre being in the same position, okay with just a bit more sidewall ‘give’.
Only downside is that I’ve lost a bit of turn-in bite but that’s got perhaps more to do with my choice of fairly tame PS4’s..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back