• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New tyres

On the tyres fron I have never paid more than £220 for the MP4s. How ever I am a bit nervous of these after my pot hole experience and close inspection of the tyre along with reading up they do seem susceptible to damage far more than you may think. Mine was much more than a pot hole I guess so will be interesting to see if anyone experiences the same.

Contis wear rate is very poor and compared to MP4S not as grippy wet or dry.

Incidently the best tyre combination i have found Is MP4S on the front, Contis on the rear, from a grip and handling point of view. The MP4S grip more which helps turn in, as you don't get as much heat into the rears the Contis are not wearing too bad and you get less grip, as such the car does not understeer as much which is really nice. The other way round it is not nearly half as good.

I appreciate this goes against what manufacturers recommend, but tried a number of combinations on the road this year and found this to be best suited to me.

Just bought a full set of MP4S at Cosco for £785

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

i found camskill cheaper when i bought a month ago, although come to think of it, that was tyres only. not sure how costco charge - inc fitting?

i found camskill cheaper when i bought a month ago, although come to think of it, that was tyres only. not sure how costco charge - inc fitting?
Cosco price is all in, inc fitting. £100 off 4 Michelins till the 31st.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

3rd puncture in a year and a half today.... cosmic

Got it home, booked in for repair tomorrow. If it's fecked as already had a repair in this one, four more countis in the shed! (Bit of stockpiling going on)

Just changed back to the OEM 20" Contis after running the Honda winter tyre setup for 4.5months - Continental WinterContact TS 850P - 234/40 R18 95V XL.

Gosh the ride and road noise is bad on the part worn Conti 20". Having got used to the plush ride on the 18" setup I now find myself driving around in comfort.

It's the wife's car but even with the limited driving I do, when the 20" are worn out I will seriously have to consider an 18" or 19" option. Hopefully the lower cost of 18" rubber will offset a set of alloys.

Had a track day at Bedford today. Front Contis took a bit of battering. What tyre pressures do people tend to run while on track? Think I was running too high.

Was thinking of alternative, longer wearing tyres such as the P4S, but this (new?) test using a Type R has the Contis out in front so may have to suck up the cost

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-Sport-Auto-20-Inch-UHP-Tyre-Test.htm

Do we have any alternative (and cheaper than OEM) aftermarket wheels available yet?

Some other observations:

Similar to some owners across the pond the temperature gauge was rising to the top - not sure if this is an issue and no warning signs came on but I'm convinced I was down on power.

I turned off the stability control completely and the car was very benign - apparently if it's left on rear pad wear is high as the car brakes the inner rear to tuck the nose in.

Had a track day at Bedford today. Front Contis took a bit of battering. What tyre pressures do people tend to run while on track? Think I was running too high.

Was thinking of alternative, longer wearing tyres such as the P4S, but this (new?) test using a Type R has the Contis out in front so may have to suck up the cost

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-Sport-Auto-20-Inch-UHP-Tyre-Test.htm

Do we have any alternative (and cheaper than OEM) aftermarket wheels available yet?

Some other observations:

Similar to some owners across the pond the temperature gauge was rising to the top - not sure if this is an issue and no warning signs came on but I'm convinced I was down on power.

I turned off the stability control completely and the car was very benign - apparently if it's left on rear pad wear is high as the car brakes the inner rear to tuck the nose in.

quite possibly all of what you say is true & accurate.
conti's are useless on track. too soft. ime on the FK2, PS4S's are minimum track tyre - specifically an 80/20 road/track tyre focus. I needed a set of 4 tyres, so tested the 4s's on my last trackday and were good, but bought a 2nd pair as cup2's. will hopefully be testing them on track in a few months.
pressures depends on tyres. my dunlop RT2's rolled over so far onto the sidewall i was running 38-40PSI hot. i ran ps4s's around 34hot & cup2's are recommended by michelin as around 32-34c hot; so essentially i'm using pressures as per the B-pillar sticker. Since we've got a heavy car, i'm using what the Evo and 911 guys are doing with tyres - they dont seem to be touching one of the popular trackday tyres (although i forget which, maybe AD08R) as it's just cant cope with the typeR weight. let the lightweight caterham&lotus guys use them.

just incase your not aware, goodyear are releasing their supersport tyres throughout this year. i'm keeping an eye on that to see how their 2 top tier models fair. currently nothing available that fit the FK2 19".
which temp gauge - oil or water? seen both commented about on civicx. theres an ebay grill that improves cooling, although i'd remove the grill on my next trackday as a test as i'm suspect at just how much of an improvement it makes to the water temps.
oil does get hot. if your serious about trackdays, then definitely get an oil cooler. I've peaked oil at 132c on track after about 15mins. oil cooler dropped temps on my FK2 to 115c max over 20-25mins without needing cool down laps.
with both of these contributing to intake air temps, i'd say very possible you were down on power. Intercooler upgrade is well worth investing and i noticed an improvement even in summer rushhour traffic with TDI-Norths cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:
quite possibly all of what you say is true & accurate.
conti's are useless on track. too soft. ime on the FK2, PS4S's are minimum track tyre - specifically an 80/20 road/track tyre focus. I needed a set of 4 tyres, so tested the 4s's on my last trackday and were good, but bought a 2nd pair as cup2's. will hopefully be testing them on track in a few months.
pressures depends on tyres. my dunlop RT2's rolled over so far onto the sidewall i was running 38-40PSI hot. i ran ps4s's around 34hot & cup2's are recommended by michelin as around 32-34c hot; so essentially i'm using pressures as per the B-pillar sticker. Since we've got a heavy car, i'm using what the Evo and 911 guys are doing with tyres - they dont seem to be touching one of the popular trackday tyres (although i forget which, maybe AD08R) as it's just cant cope with the typeR weight. let the lightweight caterham&lotus guys use them.

just incase your not aware, goodyear are releasing their supersport tyres throughout this year. i'm keeping an eye on that to see how their 2 top tier models fair. currently nothing available that fit the FK2 19".
which temp gauge - oil or water? seen both commented about on civicx. theres an ebay grill that improves cooling, although i'd remove the grill on my next trackday as a test as i'm suspect at just how much of an improvement it makes to the water temps.
oil does get hot. if your serious about trackdays, then definitely get an oil cooler. I've peaked oil at 132c on track after about 15mins. oil cooler dropped temps on my FK2 to 115c max over 20-25mins without needing cool down laps.
with both of these contributing to intake air temps, i'd say very possible you were down on power. Intercooler upgrade is well worth investing and i noticed an improvement even in summer rushhour traffic with TDI-Norths cooler.

Thanks Veehexx, you are obviously a lot further down the trackday optimisation journey than me :D

I'm tempted to get some Cup2s and fit over the summer months before switching back to Contis once the trackday season is over. I'll keep an eye out for the new Goodyears, thanks.

I'm not sure the FK8 has an oil temp gauge, all I can see is the water temp and I've no idea how the gauge level maps onto actual temperatures. :confused:

Have spent the last couple of hours reading up on CivicX re oil coolers and intercoolers......

oh yeah, forget the FK8 doesn't have oil temp. going a bit OT here since it is a tyre thread, but take another look at civicx for custom OBD PID's.

i'll know more about how the cup2's wear in mid-june. with them being 180 wear, and early june being my next trackday it's going to be interesting with tread life vs edge wear vs tyre cost and how they compare to the dunlop RT2 (not a track tyre) and the PS4S which i ran last time up front.
PS4S's took a reasonable beating on the outer edge so i'd guestimate 3 trackdays and you'd be down to cords, but thats ignoring the fact you'd ideally rotate your best tyre on the loaded front.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/pids-for-torque-torque-pro.23291/page-2
https://www.civicx.com/threads/supported-pids.27069/

might help you decide on IAT, and an exact coolant temp since the gauge doesn't tell you (nothing on the iMID/whatever FK8 has for coolant?)

oh yeah, forget the FK8 doesn't have oil temp. going a bit OT here since it is a tyre thread, but take another look at civicx for custom OBD PID's.

i'll know more about how the cup2's wear in mid-june. with them being 180 wear, and early june being my next trackday it's going to be interesting with tread life vs edge wear vs tyre cost and how they compare to the dunlop RT2 (not a track tyre) and the PS4S which i ran last time up front.
PS4S's took a reasonable beating on the outer edge so i'd guestimate 3 trackdays and you'd be down to cords, but thats ignoring the fact you'd ideally rotate your best tyre on the loaded front.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/pids-for-torque-torque-pro.23291/page-2
https://www.civicx.com/threads/supported-pids.27069/

might help you decide on IAT, and an exact coolant temp since the gauge doesn't tell you (nothing on the iMID/whatever FK8 has for coolant?)

I plugged in an OBD reader I had and it gave me some data but not to the level that the guys on the US forum are getting. Time for some more investigation without getting caught spending hours on the car by the Mrs :)

I have just checked the tread on my fronts. They are just about on the 3mm mark.

I will have had about four and a half thousand out of this pair of Continentals, so I am going to order two Michelin Pilot Sport 4s and see how I go with those!

I have just checked the tread on my fronts. They are just about on the 3mm mark.

I will have had about four and a half thousand out of this pair of Continentals, so I am going to order two Michelin Pilot Sport 4s and see how I go with those!

I really don’t understand how it’s possible to wear out the Conti’s over this distance?...

Mine did 12k and still weren’t shot. Admittedly rotated every 4K. The first few thousand were done when the car was a demo, so nothing to do with me and then included a dry track-day too.

I’ve had a race-licence and competed in the past and trained with ex-police instructors, so I like to think I don’t hang about... could it be down to sympathetic car control?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don’t understand how it’s possible to wear out the Conti’s over this distance?...

Mine did 12k and still weren’t shot. Admittedly rotated every 4K. The first few thousand were done when the car was a demo, so nothing to do with me and then included a dry track-day too.

I’ve had a race-licence and competed in the past and trained with ex-police instructors, so I like to think I don’t hang about... could it be down to sympathetic car control?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm ex racer too but nailed mine in just under 4K, I don't rotate but for me mine is very much a fun car as opposed to car used to drive to work, I have a couple of other options for that job. I live on one of the best A roads in the country, so the car gets used for purpose and goes around corners a lot. All pads changed at 6k too. I have been really disappointed with the Contis.

I swapped the tyres over from new on mine. Now running Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's which have been fantastic for road and track.

I recently did a 1000 mile road trip in Wales, through extremely wet and rainy weather. They were brilliant - when the tread depth gets low you'd need to be careful of standing water though.

As an aside, I have four OEM Continentals with as new tread depth for sale if anyone's interested...

I swapped the tyres over from new on mine. Now running Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's which have been fantastic for road and track.

I recently did a 1000 mile road trip in Wales, through extremely wet and rainy weather. They were brilliant - when the tread depth gets low you'd need to be careful of standing water though.

As an aside, I have four OEM Continentals with as new tread depth for sale if anyone's interested...

why did you swap the tyres over straight away? Or did you change the wheels as well?

Back