• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New tyres

With a trackday looming I'm starting to research new tyres to fit afterwards...

Although not one of the fashionable brands I've always had good results with Hankook, particularly with the ride quality (could that mean they're softer?)

Found I can get a set of Hankook Ventus S1 EVO K107 245/30 ZR20 90Y for just over £600 fitted, that's over £300 cheaper than OE Conti's or Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

There's got to be a catch?....

We had two sets of Hankooks on our 300C and they were great. Did 25k on the first set. no issues at all.

The catch is that they aren't as good as Pilot Sport 4. Don't buy a £30k car with over 300 bhp and fit medium range tyres.

I was thinking of getting Dunlop Sport Maxx when I need my first change. (Must be the BTCC advertising working!)

Evo magazine have just done a tyre test and the results don't show massive differences between the brands. One tyre may be slightly better in wet or dry grip or ride comfort but it's all relative and surely you just then drive to your own tyres strengths?
Let's face it, any tyre in these exotic sizes is going to be properly developed. Interestingly Evo are about to run their staff FK8 on Pilot Sport 4 S

It isn't just the performance specifics, tyre wear, steering feel and importantly how the shoulders of the tyre make the car feel make a massive impact. I'd never in a million years entertain Hankook Ventus S1 EVO on my FD2 let alone an FK8. I had a set of Hankook Evo's on one of my old cars and I found them uninspiring.

Unless cost is the only factor, I'd be fitting the Michelins. Especially if the car is going to be tracked in the future. Have a look at the latest EVO magazine, it tests the exact tyres that you'd be looking at.

I fitted the Falken 510s to my road mini last year, puncture emergency. Now have four on the car and they are excellent. If the Michelins are too pricey, these are a definite option.

No one has really given any feedback on tyres for the FK8, interested to hear what people fine. I personally found the Contis good other than wear.

If you can live with the wear rate I would stick with the conti 6. I had mps4s on the fk2 and although it’s a good tyre, the conti definitely felt more “pointy”

On the Conti's, it appears that some Fk8s were fitted with the smaller rim protection tyres and some with the larger ones from the factory.

Both have the same size specs and name, but a different product number. The larger rim tyres have the product number 03579010000 and the smaller rim protection, 03571840000.

The larger rim tyres seem to have ceased production now after some enquiries to Conti head office, so those looking to replace like for like when your fronts go, you can get the 0357184 no problem, but there will be a slight aesthetic difference only someone with OCD like me will notice. The guy from Conti said a different Speed rating as well, but I am not hitting any Autobahns any time soon.

In hindsight id have got the PS 4's all round

The problem with personal comparisons is that your brand new tyres (once bedded in) will feel and perform a lot better than the shagged old set. Even if your new tyres are budget!

I've Michelins on 5 cars in a row now, first the MPSS on my 370Z, then MPSS on the M3 again, MP4S on the 535d and now MP4s on the EP3.

They are the best tyre you can buy for the road imo, they are good on track (not superb, but good) they are insanely good in the rain, soak up bumps well and wear pretty well too. The only other tyre i will be trying next is the AD08R, but I don't expect it to perform better in the wet, it's mainly for them lovely summer days (which seem to have gone now lol).

Never skimp on brakes or tyres, it's what is keeping you alive on the road...

I've Michelins on 5 cars in a row now, first the MPSS on my 370Z, then MPSS on the M3 again, MP4S on the 535d and now MP4s on the EP3.

They are the best tyre you can buy for the road imo, they are good on track (not superb, but good) they are insanely good in the rain, soak up bumps well and wear pretty well too. The only other tyre i will be trying next is the AD08R, but I don't expect it to perform better in the wet, it's mainly for them lovely summer days (which seem to have gone now lol).

Never skimp on brakes or tyres, it's what is keeping you alive on the road...

Do you think the Cup2s are a step too far for 90% road, 10% track?

Went to Spain with a mate with a brand new FK2 running the Contis -I was in a Megane Trophy and 4000 miles of hard running later we found the Michelin Super Sports on the Renault lasted around twice a long as the Contis on the FK2.Very similar levels of grip and performance ,both outstanding. Pretty strong evidence that Michelins offer much better wear rates than equivalent top line competitors (And that's not something a short term back to back test can show ) and that makes the extra few quid a corner they cost actually represent better value.
PS4S is getting all the plaudits at the moment but interesting that Ford and BMW have both specced Supersports rather than PS4s for Focus and Fiesta hot models and M cars just recently. Think Ford say the super sport has more grip than the PS4

MPS4 and MPS4S are different tyres - the MPS4 isn't a replacement for the MPSS.

True but PS4S is closest IF not like for like, interesting that Ford have opted for Supersports rather than PS4S for the Focus RS and for the new Fiesta ST too (though that runs 18" so instead of PS4 ) Saw the Ford guy saying it was chosen because it offers more grip than the newer tyre.

Back