• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New tyres

Ok finally got around to back back to back testing of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S v OEM Continental Sport Tyres, the Michelins wer virtually brand new, the Contis 4K mileage but on the rear so not much wear. The weather was sub 10c with damp/dry roads, front pressures set at 35.

The Michelins have a taller look than the Contis and as such offer more protection imho. In terms of the ride I didn't notice much difference, may be the Michelins a bit softer. This would explain why the turn in felt marginally different, if I'm being honest the turn in is a bit sharper with the Conti's which gave me more confidence to take corners a bit faster how ever you feel like you are driving on the rims. So in balance not much in it. Tyre noise is much less than the Contis which is nice for the motorway runs.

On the road it is very difficult to get a proper feeling for handling how ever I did the same B roads over 75 miles, again so little in it but think the Michelins have the edge, as they heat up my confidence grew and found that traction through the gears out of the corners were better, next to no wheel spinning which with the Contis had spin in 2nd gear.

The fronts were absolutely knackered (I can never seem to upload photos here) after 3k miles (no trackdays), I got another 900 miles out of them much to the disproval of my tyre fitter! The Michelins we're £203 each on black circles with 20% off, Contis similar price.

Overall in summary not much in it, I haven't measured but it looks like you get deeper groves than the Contis so I'm hopeful they will last better, it remains to be see if the Michelin is the better tyre but at very worst I doubt they will wear down as quick and offer a bit more pot hole protection.

I think softer sidewalls of the PS4S is what is putting me off.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b3802...Eff_:_E_Wet_Grip:_A_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_72dB

Camskill have the Contis unfitted for £193 (they have 3 options but apparently that is the correct model) -very tempted.

that's the cheapest I have seen

Just be aware of the Lipped and non-lipped version. Look quite different when on the rim

Are you saying you chewed through a pair of front Conti’s in just 3000 miles?... I’m currently on 11k with still loads of life left - and that includes a trackday plus the first 3k were done when the car was used as a demo.. ?!!!
I perhaps need to pedal a little harder?!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you saying you chewed through a pair of front Conti’s in just 3000 miles?... I’m currently on 11k with still loads of life left - and that includes a trackday plus the first 3k were done when the car was used as a demo.. ?!!!

And the Driving Miss Daisy award goes to...! :D I got 9 out of mine from memory and was happy with that but some people on here are animals...

11k + track use :eek:
I got 4k out of mine and I do drive like an OAP,
It's the inside edge that goes, the face had loads of tread but the inner was bold, chewed and pitted

11k + track use :eek:
I got 4k out of mine and I do drive like an OAP,
It's the inside edge that goes, the face had loads of tread but the inner was bold, chewed and pitted

yea that's a good point Dweezle - Steve D have you put it on full lock and then checked the inside edge? it might resemble a wire fence..!

yea that's a good point Dweezle - Steve D have you put it on full lock and then checked the inside edge? it might resemble a wire fence..!

3d8d87408b987e2122a12c112ddcc6f4.jpg

Okay, these tyres are not long for this world but certainly not frayed at 11k?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's a fine set of rubber sir!!! You sure they weren't changed at the dealership before you got her!

Tyre pressure warning on just now....let's see if I walk out to a flat tomorrow, will not be impressed

My old man heard me talking about Dream, so took his honda jazz there in the week for an airbag problem...!!! Said there was a red fk8 with black chequers on having some work done - not anyone on here is it?

The tyre fitters at the garage were shocked, bear in mind that mine is a fun car as such done less than 100 miles on a motorway and live on one of if not the finest road in England.

that's a fine set of rubber sir!!! You sure they weren't changed at the dealership before you got her!

I wish!... I had the original tyres rotated round front to rear before I picked it up and swapped again at 7500 miles... I think that’s the secret. The rears actually have loads more tread left.

I’ve always been light on tyres. But I like to think I don’t hang about, having raced saloons and also had plenty of fast road driver (police pursuit style) training with John Lyon’s HPC (of Caterham Seven fame)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

more than 6k on the csc6's!?
i got around 4k on mine if i didnt rotate. 6k before i had to get a full set. car was purely road with the first 1k running the car in.

im torn between ps4s and cup2's when i replace these dunlops RT2's which've done well - maybe 9k inc 2 track days.

Well had a slow front right puncture since September loses around 4psi every 8 days and takes around 11 days to chuck up the puncture warning if I forget to blow it up and normally I have found this is when I have lost 6psi, I have left this as to be fair the fronts don't last long anyway plus I had a decent puncture mended in the 3 week old tyre and suspect it is either a bad seal or due to the size and angle of the hole that was plugged. Either way not been a major hassle so nothing to stress about.

With the winter now here and the CSC6 being basically garbage on cold wet roads if you want to use more than 35% throttle for 2 seconds or longer I have taken the plunge and ordered 4 x Rainsport 3 255/35/20. How I see it these will be a better all rounder for my every day use while being better in the winter wet months by a country mile and with going for 255 wide and 35 profile will no longer look stretched and offer a little better kerb protection and ride quality if only minimal.

What I did find was 255/35/20 is a lot more common size especially on Audi, BMW and Jaguar which makes them very cost effective £135 each when fitted. I have never had Rainsports however as I have no intention to track the FK8 or really throw it around I very much doubt I will see any major difference to shout about while even knowing they will be soft for sure they will be harder wearing than CSC6. I have read a lot of reviews on these from Jaguar and Audi owners most rate them and either way they are heavy cars so should be fine. I was tempted with AS3 and PS4 but they are around £50-80 per corner more expensive than I have paid for these and I just don't see the value I will get from how I use and drive the car. For the record I got them from Camskill £460.20 delivered to my local Honda dealer and fitting is £20 per wheel. Bonus is my rears on the FK8 have around 5-6mm left and the fronts around 3.5mm left and have sold these to a FK8 owner I know for £100 so covers the fitting costs. He is going to save the rears to use when his fronts are worn out and use my old fronts for a Santa pod strip run in which he is confident they will not last the day so the very slow puncture is not an issue.

Fitting is on Friday not sure if the car will move much until after the new year but either way just hoping they are a better all rounder than the CSC6 which I would be shocked if not. If I made the wrong choice I guess for what I have paid for 4 it is not the end of the world and with how these will wear out which I think will be around 10k on the fronts 15k with rotation for all 4 tyres again it would not be the end of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well had a slow front right puncture since September loses around 4psi every 8 days and takes around 11 days to chuck up the puncture warning if I forget to blow it up and normally I have found this is when I have lost 6psi, I have left this as to be fair the fronts don't last long anyway plus I had a decent puncture mended in the 3 week old tyre and suspect it is either a bad seal or due to the size and angle of the hole that was plugged. Either way not been a major hassle so nothing to stress about.

With the winter now here and the CSC6 being basically garbage on cold wet roads if you want to use more than 35% throttle for 2 seconds or longer I have taken the plunge and ordered 4 x Rainsport 3 255/35/20. How I see it these will be a better all rounder for my every day use while being better in the winter wet months by a country mile and with going for 255 wide and 35 profile will no longer look stretched and offer a little better kerb protection and ride quality if only minimal.

What I did find was 255/35/20 is a lot more common size especially on Audi, BMW and Jaguar which makes them very cost effective £135 each when fitted. I have never had Rainsports however as I have no intention to track the FK8 or really throw it around I very much doubt I will see any major difference to shout about while even knowing they will be soft for sure they will be harder wearing than CSC6. I have read a lot of reviews on these from Jaguar and Audi owners most rate them and either way they are heavy cars so should be fine. I was tempted with AS3 and PS4 but they are around £50-80 per corner more expensive than I have paid for these and I just don't see the value I will get from how I use and drive the car. For the record I got them from Camskill £460.20 delivered to my local Honda dealer and fitting is £20 per wheel. Bonus is my rears on the FK8 have around 5-6mm left and the fronts around 3.5mm left and have sold these to a FK8 owner I know for £100 so covers the fitting costs. He is going to save the rears to use when his fronts are worn out and use my old fronts for a Santa pod strip run in which he is confident they will not last the day so the very slow puncture is not an issue.

Fitting is on Friday not sure if the car will move much until after the new year but either way just hoping they are a better all rounder than the CSC6 which I would be shocked if not. If I made the wrong choice I guess for what I have paid for 4 it is not the end of the world and with how these will wear out which I think will be around 10k on the fronts 15k with rotation for all 4 tyres again it would not be the end of the world.

That is definitely a good concept to go by, however the Rainsports are not a performance tyre, so you will not have the same level of grip or stability as you do on the CSC6. If you want tyres that grip like hell in the wet, then Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (or the S variant) is the way to go, it beats the CSC6 in almost every test and lasts longer.

Let us know how you get on with the Rainsports though, I am keen to see what they are like on an FK.

Rainsports on an Fk8? :lol: Good luck with that. They'll feel terrible and the wear rate equally as bad.

That is definitely a good concept to go by, however the Rainsports are not a performance tyre, so you will not have the same level of grip or stability as you do on the CSC6. If you want tyres that grip like hell in the wet, then Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (or the S variant) is the way to go, it beats the CSC6 in almost every test and lasts longer.

Let us know how you get on with the Rainsports though, I am keen to see what they are like on an FK.

I know of an owner who fitted 255/35/20 kumho ecsta ps91 on recommendation of TDI north and he swears they are a lot better all rounder than the CSC6. My theory on the Rainsports is if they are good enough for Jag and A5 drivers to rate them highly they are heavier than the FK8 so should be great for day to day commuting etc but hey cant be worse than the CSC6 in the winter months so either way I will find out. I take your point on the performance of the CSC6 and appreciate what they are etc but for how I drive the car and where I drive the car the CSC6 is a high premium for something that is not required or used even though I may stand corrected in a few months. However Uniroyal do claim Rainsports are a high performance summer tyre https://www.uniroyal.co.uk/car/tyre...MIzd2Ny52q3wIVGuJ3Ch3GyAm3EAAYASAAEgKpWfD_BwE so they should be pretty decent even if they lack that 10% or so of all out grip of a CSC6 or MPS4. One thing may be worth noting is Uniroyal parent companies are Michelin & Continental AG. I suspect the biggest difference will be turn in will not be razor sharp which for track days I guess would be destroying whereas for going to work and back not something I would notice that often.

One thing I did notice last winter was a high number of FK2 owners running MPS4 on facebook groups with warped sidewalls and ruined tyres though potholes which give me the impression they don't take a pot hole too kindly especially in the cold, one thing I have to say about the CSC6 I have hit 2 now where I got out the car expecting to have a damaged wheel and all good so they do seem tough in this area.

Back