• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New tyres

I had MPSS on my previous M240i and they are great summer tyres, but biased towards dry weather performance and not so great in the wet. I'll be trying MPS4S on my FK8 when the Continentals are done.

MPSS are also getting hard to source (or at least on the sizes on my 240) although still supplied as OEM as you say.

MPS4 and MPS4S are different tyres - the MPS4 isn't a replacement for the MPSS.

Yes, just learnt that today.:lol: EVO tested the Contis against the 4, and it would seem that the 4S is a step up from both

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Sport-Auto-UHP-and-Track-Day-Tyre-Test.htm
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Auto-Bild-20-inch-UHP-Tyre-Test.htm
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-Car-and-Driver-UHP-Tyre-Test.htm

Same price on Blackcircles as the Conti6s, making it a compelling alternative

Just be aware the cont's on black circles are not the OEM tyres with the larger lip many of us had fitted from factory. Also have a higher speed rating than those without the lip

I will shut up about this soon I promise :lol:

I’m pretty sure manufacturers specify tyres as much for reliable supply and price criteria as they do for ultimate performance.

The Conti’s do appear to melt on track but really do hang on - to the point where the next-day I felt I was suffered mild whiplash (I feel a claim coming on!)

Incidentally, I’m seriously thinking about supporting Dunlop due to their involvement in the BTCC. Their price for four is over £300 cheaper too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surprised no one is considering Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 3's. Great all round road tyres, reasonable price, good wet performance and low noise rating...

The Goodyear Asy 3 is well thought of but the closest you can get to a standard size for the FK8 is 255/30 R20. There is only a few £ between them and the Michelin MPS4S 245/30 R20

F1A3 are designed for German barges and not hot hatches. They are extremely soft and take away a lot of steering feel, they also feel a bit wobbly in the corners. I had them on my two Evo's and didn't rate them at all.

F1A3 are designed for German barges and not hot hatches. They are extremely soft and take away a lot of steering feel, they also feel a bit wobbly in the corners. I had them on my two Evo's and didn't rate them at all.

Au contraire not if you have the XL variety they're a lot better, I assume you didn't as not mentioned it. Having used A2/3 on quite a few hot hatches with significantly above-stock power I've found them to be excellent all-rounders and even capable of good track performance with good feedback when they eventually start to progressively let go.
Never tried the non-XL variety and I understand they are a very soft sidewall, though I've also read and heard from a couple of Evo owners that the F1 doesn't seem to work on that car so it clearly just doesn't suit that chassis.

Anyway, regarding the AD08R they are surprisingly capable in the wet and my worry that they'd give up at the slightest hint of rain was totally unfounded. A little heat in them from normal driving and they grip very well, though I suspect they'd still be a liability in temps under 5 deg and in winter slush.

I'm running assy 3's could not fault them for grip BUT my new front set don't feel the same, I don't feel as confident in them even 3 weeks of running in.
I jumped on them when they were released so not sure if they changed something after first batches went out

Au contraire not if you have the XL variety they're a lot better, I assume you didn't as not mentioned it. Having used A2/3 on quite a few hot hatches with significantly above-stock power I've found them to be excellent all-rounders and even capable of good track performance with good feedback when they eventually start to progressively let go.
Never tried the non-XL variety and I understand they are a very soft sidewall, though I've also read and heard from a couple of Evo owners that the F1 doesn't seem to work on that car so it clearly just doesn't suit that chassis.

Anyway, regarding the AD08R they are surprisingly capable in the wet and my worry that they'd give up at the slightest hint of rain was totally unfounded. A little heat in them from normal driving and they grip very well, though I suspect they'd still be a liability in temps under 5 deg and in winter slush.

I had the XL the second time around. They didn't even last half a day at Spa before big chunks of them started falling off. I'll never buy them again for a sporty car. I switched on the day to my mates spare set of Federal RS-R and they were in a different league. Felts much better, they didn't give up as easy and corner speed to significantly faster. Plus, they were narrower than the F1's they replaced.

Probably just too much track time & heat for them to handle if they started to disintegrate, though it's not really the target market for them. The RS-R isn't really in the same category and can be expected to deal with extended track use much better, though I wouldn't want to use them as a single set of all-season tyres which the F1 would do better (and likely last longer). Admittedly they're not as cheap as they used to be but if spotted on deal they can be good for road use and manage short-session track time.

Horses for courses.

Yes, just learnt that today.:lol: EVO tested the Contis against the 4, and it would seem that the 4S is a step up from both

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Sport-Auto-UHP-and-Track-Day-Tyre-Test.htm
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Auto-Bild-20-inch-UHP-Tyre-Test.htm
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-Car-and-Driver-UHP-Tyre-Test.htm

Same price on Blackcircles as the Conti6s, making it a compelling alternative

Correction - EVO tested the 4S

I’m pretty sure manufacturers specify tyres as much for reliable supply and price criteria as they do for ultimate performance.

The Conti’s do appear to melt on track but really do hang on - to the point where the next-day I felt I was suffered mild whiplash (I feel a claim coming on!)

Incidentally, I’m seriously thinking about supporting Dunlop due to their involvement in the BTCC. Their price for four is over £300 cheaper too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure the Dunlop's are as sporty a tyre as the Conti or PS4S

I had the XL the second time around. They didn't even last half a day at Spa before big chunks of them started falling off. I'll never buy them again for a sporty car. I switched on the day to my mates spare set of Federal RS-R and they were in a different league. Felts much better, they didn't give up as easy and corner speed to significantly faster. Plus, they were narrower than the F1's they replaced.

Why not compare Pirelli Hypersoft F1 tyres whilst you are at it? As stated before.....for a real world tyre on public roads the Assy 3 is a great tyre. I wouldn't use them on track and to be honest if you are losing the limits of traction in an evo on public roads perhaps you were driving like a bell end. There seems to be a real lack of tolerance on this forum to people having a different opinion to others. No one is right, no one is wrong.... everyones got an arsehole, everyones got an opinion. To be quite honest its a bit academic slamming any premium tyres, the variables between them in the real world are so slim its hardly worth worrying about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not compare Pirelli Hypersoft F1 tyres whilst you are at it? As stated before.....for a real world tyre on public roads the Assy 3 is a great tyre. I wouldn't use them on track and to be honest if you are losing the limits of traction in an evo on public roads perhaps you were driving like a bell end.

He mentioned the word spa , which is a world famous race circuit which opens up to the public.

I was there when his tyres went “off” halfway through the day , he had to pay a decent amount at the Nurburgring to get some better replacements.

Edit to say - they are a reasonable road tyre but absolutely not fit for track.

To add , there are also far better road tyres than the assy3.

No malice intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone has a bee in their bonnet.

The F1A3 I thought we’re poor on the road in my Evo. The car felt all wallowy. They were okay on my A5.

To be quite honest its a bit academic slamming any premium tyres, the variables between them in the real world are so slim its hardly worth worrying about.

I'm not sure I agree - I've had (non assy) GSD3s on my NSX and the lack of stiff sidewall (compared to RE050s) was very apparent. If you read the latest EVO tyre test they mention the difference in steering precision (which I reckon will be down to sidewall stiffness in part) between Conti and Goodyear, and I believe it would be apparent on the road for punters such as us.

Articles like Evo are more helpful then a group of petrolheads having an opinion however we all drive differently and some would prefer a better road tyre others a more track biased tyre. We are all entitled to an opinion, I chose my tyres based on tests like Evo and historic preferences or as in the case of a manufacturer choosing a tyre stick with it inn its first few years.

Back