• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New tyres

Articles like Evo are more helpful then a group of petrolheads having an opinion however we all drive differently and some would prefer a better road tyre others a more track biased tyre. We are all entitled to an opinion, I chose my tyres based on tests like Evo and historic preferences or as in the case of a manufacturer choosing a tyre stick with it inn its first few years.

:smt023

All matter of personal opinion ;)

After thinking that I had a bit of time to peruse the options, a slow puncture in the offside rear means new tyres sooner rather than later.
Assuming it can't be repaired, I'm prepared to bite the bullet and get a full set of class-leading Pilot Sport 4S.

Cheapest price appears to be £182 fitted, from TYRELEADER, anyone found a better deal?

...and is there any difference between the Porsche specific version and the non-designated one?

After thinking that I had a bit of time to peruse the options, a slow puncture in the offside rear means new tyres sooner rather than later.
Assuming it can't be repaired, I'm prepared to bite the bullet and get a full set of class-leading Pilot Sport 4S.

Cheapest price appears to be £182 fitted, from TYRELEADER, anyone found a better deal?

...and is there any difference between the Porsche specific version and the non-designated one?

You don't need the N rated porsche version, just get the normal one :)

Latest EVO doesn't paint a very good picture of the newly fitted Pilot Sport 4 S to their fleet FK8. Two new tyres got taken out by a motorway expansion joint.

Is it possible to post images here?... if so, I can stick up the magazine page...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to post images here?... if so, I can stick up the magazine page...

If you're on TapaTalk it's a doddle, otherwise you need to use an image hosting site.

If you're struggling email them to me [email protected] and I'll stick them up this once...

No worries.
c3ca33175871d63074cc659f78cbd8f4.jpg

This is why fitting such ridiculous size wheels is stupid imo. 20 inch also looks ridiculous too, 19 is the further i'd go, and even then I've seen 18s with AD08Rs look pretty epic on these cars.

Anyone got a car with 18's fitted?... love to see what it looks like.

The joke is you could probably buy a complete set of Team Dymanics wheels AND tyres for the same cost a just the four replacement 20" tyres!

Anyone got a car with 18's fitted?... love to see what it looks like.

The joke is you could probably buy a complete set of Team Dymanics wheels AND tyres for the same cost a just the four replacement 20" tyres!

25335551218_18eef50cc3_z.jpg

31021-BH003d-500x500_3.jpg

ctrsheepy-jpg.47240

19s below

eibach.springs-prokit-ctr8.jpg

Great thanks.

Wheelbase offer a set of 18" Team Dynamics Pro Race complete with Conti 6's at £1269.00 or £1329.00 for PS4's

looking at a lot of these US cars on 18", I wonder how many are also lowered and in many cases fitted spacers as well (unless it's wider rims).

I have to admit I "DO" like the stance look, and more-so the idea of having some 18"'s to run on for winter use with all the pot hole and crap about the place. but find myself wrestling with the fact would I actually go back to the OEM wheels in the summer?. and final point, as I'm no track god, isn't it best I leave everything standard and risk those pricey rims and tyres than start playing around with Geo and Car setup for what is effectively my daily drive :)

a conundrum that's for sure.....

looking at a lot of these US cars on 18", I wonder how many are also lowered and in many cases fitted spacers as well (unless it's wider rims).

I have to admit I "DO" like the stance look, and more-so the idea of having some 18"'s to run on for winter use with all the pot hole and crap about the place. but find myself wrestling with the fact would I actually go back to the OEM wheels in the summer?. and final point, as I'm no track god, isn't it best I leave everything standard and risk those pricey rims and tyres than start playing around with Geo and Car setup for what is effectively my daily drive :)

a conundrum that's for sure.....

All cars in those pictures have been lowered, otherwise it would look a bit odd. None run spacers though, as they can just order the correct offset wheels since they are changing. As for stancing, these pictures represent a good height imo (maybe bar the red one as it looks a bit too slammed), so you shouldn't have any problems with going into car parks, speed bumps and the likes.

As for the track, the 18s will most likely feel better, offer more long term performance as the tyres will last longer and better feel too. You don't have to mess with any suspension settings if all you are doing is installing lowering springs (lets say 20-30mm) and then differ inch wheel.

I hope this clears things up a bit :)

tks - I agree that Red one does look "too much" especially with the front tyres looking to stick out further than the wheel arches (maybe camera angle doesn't help), best pic IMHO is the first black one, fills the arch but tucks in nicely.

The rolling diameter of 18's with 40 profile is the same as 20's with 30 profile, so surely as long the studs fit, the offset is correct and they clear the brakes all will be fine?... surely no need for spacers or lowered springs?

The rolling diameter of 18's with 40 profile is the same as 20's with 30 profile, so surely as long the studs fit, the offset is correct and they clear the brakes all will be fine?... surely no need for spacers or lowered springs?

There is no need for lowering springs yes, it just "looks" better when it's a tad lower, since the larger tyre gives you the illusion of the car sitting higher. No need for spacers though.

Makes sense to do this.
I can take off the still well legal OE wheels and tyres and store until the car is handed back or sold in a couple of years.
Meanwhile, I can runaround on the 18's enjoying better ride and handling without the constant worry of repeating the EVO experience!
Then sell the 18's on afterwards...

Careful though as a lot of those yanks have had to chop away at the arch liners etc to make the tyres not rub

It's not as simple as just swappping them out in many cases. Really good thread and guide here:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/civic-type-r-after-market-wheel-guide.13994/

Not lowering or fitting spacers and I'm not intending on going bigger, I'll just be sticking with the OE 245 width on 8" rims and with 40% instead of 30% profile the overall radius should be the same as standard - but I'll check the speedo against GPS to be sure.

One thing that does concern me slightly is the tyre pressure monitoring system which seems to be super sensitive at the best of times - how will it react to a different wheel/tyre combo?... at least the sensors are not embeded in the actual wheel.

4 x PS4's ordered from Blackcircles at the frankly ridiculusly low cost of £421 (unfitted)...almost half the 20" cost...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back