• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2018 Black sapphire metallic BMW M2

A step in to the dark side after many years of Type R ownership for me.

I guess after my experience with the white Fk8 and the whole gearbox saga I lost a lot of love and more importantly I don’t feel that they make them like they used to , although the blue fk8 seemed relatively fault free in the time that I owned it (2000 miles or so) and maybe as I’m one year away from being 40 I fancy something a little less “in your face”. Financially I lost very little in the blue fk8 to what I originally paid for the white one - although it would have been around £1500 more deficit had I still had the white one to sell back , a 2018 fk8 ex demo is valued at approx £27500 for a dealer to buy back, £26000 or so for a 2017 with around 5k miles. Fortunately my rejection of the white one subsequently put me in the blue one with no cost to me.

Anyway...

So I decided I needed to move on ( for now ) until Honda get their act together and maybe I will be back... ?

I narrowed it down to a couple of cars , I really had a hankering for a e92 m3 but after hours of research I looked in the direction of the M2.

The test drive in the M2 sealed the deal.

I managed to negotiate a good deal as it happens...

Spec

0ed496816bf8741dd4569810e044f3c3.jpg
169267d2cabe1f581496ffd8144875b9.jpg

With all of the below.

e0197e2113012fe651a1e90094fbce79.jpg

Collected it a couple of weeks later and I’m going through the “running in process” it needs a service at 1200 miles initially and after that I can let all hell loose !

prior to collection I bought some m performance black kidney grilles which the dealership kindly fitted.

So far I’m adapting to it quite well , nearly 500 miles in (less than a week) - averaging around 22 mpg but I am having some fun , did I mention that engine noise ...!

It is a very nice place to be , the idrive is superb, leaps ahead of the infotainment that Honda offers .. it also sounds delightful, is a good cruiser and also can be very very playful.. which I found out the first time I turned everything off.

So far no regrets whatsoever.

Insurance is £406 for the year which is cheaper than the fk8 was by around £80.

Pics.

baeac5afd93ae6ccbbaeb34b2dedd737.jpg
d1296d90225ce7f5d62f078dce9e9c66.jpg
4f3684b3b3e5bcef967c9359a8521864.jpg
32f80a13c1b980d3591b0acba35bff74.jpg

New Reg soon. Can you guess what it is ?

2018 Black sapphire metallic bmw M2.

I bet the sound system in a normal M2 would be streets ahead of the FK8, never mind the difference with the Harman Kardon kit.

Lovely car though, I’ve been enjoying all the “you should have bought a [insert car here] from all the experts on social media!

I really like the current range of BM’s as mentioned, I was impressed with he M240 I went in, so this I can imagine is even better.

Like you say, getting into the 40’s you do look at something like this, I’m just a kid still in my eyes hence all the ep3s and wanting a Civic still lol

Are you waiting for the first service to be done then before the exhaust goes on?

I’m guessing as it’s M performance it won’t invalidate the warranty either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40???? You old git!!

Nice mate, as mentioned i just find the rear a bit lacking for some reason. Better from an angle.

A mate has a tuned M240 and it goes and sounds lovely. White with some choice carbon.

I hope Honda sit up and take note when the (most likely) loyalest of the loyal type R enthusiasts decides that the brand has lost its way. Doubtful.

I do like these M2s, there's a few at work I've lusted over. Enjoy!

Out of interest... How come you went for the DSG over the manual? Personal preference or re-sale value?

I love those box arches :smt023

I bet the sound system in a normal M2 would be streets ahead of the FK8, never mind the difference with the Harman Kardon kit.

I wouldn't count on it, BMW audio is notoriously sh*t to the point that the HK upgrade is almost mandatory. And even then that sometimes misses the mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks a damned sight better than anything Honda is putting out lately. Nice car Dott ;)

40???? You old git!!

Nice mate, as mentioned i just find the rear a bit lacking for some reason. Better from an angle.

A mate has a tuned M240 and it goes and sounds lovely. White with some choice carbon.

39 this month.

I wouldn't count on it, BMW audio is notoriously sh*t to the point that the HK update is almost mandatory. And even then that sometimes misses the mark.

That does surprise me, although I was admittedly making the assumption on “it’s a German car, they all have decent speakers” mentality.

Sod off, I'm only a year behind him...says the man with the bargetastic Audi

I'll get my coat. :getcoat:

YEP!! I just can't be arsed any more and i'm several years behind you both. Not even 35 yet.

My excuse - i play golf so want something quick, comfy and easy.

I think I've hit that age where I CBA with heavily modded cars any more, the 32 was probably the last one i'll own.

I hope Honda sit up and take note when the (most likely) loyalest of the loyal type R enthusiasts decides that the brand has lost its way. Doubtful.

I do like these M2s, there's a few at work I've lusted over. Enjoy!

Out of interest... How come you went for the DSG over the manual? Personal preference or re-sale value?

Yep. I may be back but only once they go back to building bullet proof cars.

M2 ftw for now.

Oh man I'm so jealous. Lovely car, good spec and probably exactly as I would have had it (but with a manual :p)

Back