Home
Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: N77ís Track Day epthree Project

Default N77ís Track Day epthree Project

So on the 11th April 2018 I bought this from work after someone part exchanged it for a Vauxhall Coraís VXR for some reason, it has 1 lady owner but she bought it and her son was the main user.

Still with just over 70k on the clock I knew what I wanted to buy it for, a track car.

I went and had a drive and it went really well, engine was very quiet and no dodgy noises, apart from the exhaust that had been fitted.

It had been smoked in but as I was going to be stripping it, this didnít bother me.

So the car was purchased....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by N77; 15-08-2018 at 05:51 AM.

So once I collected it I was in work the next day, so it was a couple of days before I got to have a mess.

Within 30 mins the interior was out and it looked like this...

Gave everything a really good deep clean, all seats, trim, carpet and headliner....

Next step was to remove the wheels, so up on axle stands it went and the wheels removed...

They were virtually new, so I donít think they had been on long, so they were cleaned, advertised and sold within a few days..

Last edited by N77; 15-08-2018 at 05:52 AM.

So on with the stripping, I also sold the front and rear seats, door cards and steering wheel so these were removed first, then got to do the rest...

Then everything removed...

I left the carpet in for the time being as it was more comfortable to kneel on etc....

Also the headliner was beyond salvaging and still stunk of smoke, so removed it and was thrown out.

Also managed to give it a little clean in the areas cars seem to get neglected...

Last edited by N77; 15-08-2018 at 06:01 AM.

After removal of the interior panels I looked at what else could come out, so turned my attention to the rear wiper motor.

So the rear wiper was removed (sawn off in the end) and I bought a KillAllWipers blanking kit, instead of using the usual rubber bung, as it looks a lot better...

So next was to start purchasing some bits, first was an OMP wheel that came up for sale complete with NRG slimline boss and quick release hub as well...

Then a mate had bought a Civic to break and had these for sale, still in date until next year, but as it will only be used on track, and only be used in the UK, I thought the price was too good to pass up, so he got them to Manchester, and I collected them from there. Already had the rails on so straight into mine without any fuss...

Trial fitted them while the carpet was in, and also fitted the wheel, which was a little more tricky than I thought, having to remove the clockspring, but looks great with the seats...

Last edited by N77; 15-08-2018 at 05:55 AM.

So with the wheel and seats in the bag, I decided to concentrate on the interior so a quick wanted add on Facebook, I had someone contact me with these for sale, they are TRS FIA harnesses but have been badged up with VELO, but perfect for my needs.

Also I needed to buy some harness eye bolt plates, as they are 6 point, I would need points in the floor as well...

Also bought some tools for the jobs to come and got a Dewalt Impact Wrench after a recommendation from a couple of mates who have one of these...

Also ordered a set of trackdoorcards from Facebook, and test fitted them, as you need to drill holes in the door to mount..

Again more tools. The drill I had use of was not up to the job, so as I was impressed with the impact wrench, I went for a Dewalt so I could use the same battery, and was not disappointed, did the job prefect..

So door cards fitted and also the carpet removed ready to do the fitting for the harnesses, I managed to get them done before heading off to Scotland for work for 10 days, so worked stopped for a bit...

I also removed the 2 painted metal plates that fall behind the rear seats, and also removed the two metal plates (that had gone a little rusty) that hold the rear bench seat as well. Surprising they were quite hefty really as well, the scrap man was grateful.

Last edited by N77; 15-08-2018 at 06:00 AM.

So 24th July got me back to working on the car, I wasn’t keen on the fastenings for the door cards, I know it’s only for track but wanted it to look right as well.

So I spoke with MJC Automotive and ordered their bolts and washers, and replaced all of the original for theirs. Definitely looks better IMO

Also a few days later I purchased some more tools for the job, I have been meaning to get one of these for such a long time, the trusty trolley jack I have just can’t get the car high enough, and the fact on my road going Civic, I can’t get it underneath, I knew this was a good purchase...

It weights a tonne but does the job with ease, and definitely a lot easier than the one I’ve been using...I also used it to get the car a little higher up, for my next task of drilling the holes in the floor for the eye bolts for the harnesses.

So I had to put the seats in to mark up where the points needed to be, and began to drill and fit the eye bolts..

Also removed the pedals ready to exchange them for the DC5 pedals I had lurking around lol

Again, the sound deadening rubber like stuff has been cut out as much as I could in both passenger and driver foot wells. It goes up right under the dash, so was not prepared to remove the dash to get it all out, so the rest is still there at the moment.

So now the interior was coming together, I decided to start looking at suspension. I had arranged to purchase some Nitrons at a good price, but my time to get them kept moving and he sold them to someone else as they came to buy some wheels off him.

So back to the drawing board. I know people moan a lot about YellowSpeed but was impressed with Rob at Areaís own car, with their track spec ones they customise themselves. These came up at a good price, off someoneís track Car, so have done minimal miles, not used in all weathers so are pretty much mint and hardly used. So I asked Rob if he could do the change to existing ones, and he said yes. So I bought them with the sole purpose of changing things.

Itís something I can change again if needed, but they seem to perform well in the Civic Cup, so should be ok for me, will see..

So then I managed to drill and fit the eye bolts in the driver's side, to do this however I had to remove the exhaust. As I was not planning on keeping this it was no bother removing it. The heatsheild fell right on one of the fixing points. So removed it so I could make my hole and put the fitting plate on the eyebolt.

The exhaust was fitted I believe after the last MOT as it had an advisory for it being corroded, also it was replaced with a CAT, unsilenced pipe and back box, fitted with an upside down HKS branded muffler also it was not brilliant, so off it came. I put it for sale as someone may want it, didnít get anything so put it on eBay auction, then someone contacted me wanting to buy it that day, so he came up and collected it, £140 for that lol

Then I wanted to tackle removing the front suspension, so I can sort the bushings etc....

I knew they were bad, so I had plans of taking them to my powder coaters I use for my alloys, but found they were a bit too far gone for that...yuk

The hubs are not much better, so looking to replace these as well. Luckily I do have a spare passenger side control arm and hub attached already, so just need to source a drivers side.

Looking to replace the bits with super pro bushes like in my other Civic, and new drop links, track rods etc... as well. So this will keep me busy for a little while. Also removed the front ARB as the drop links are stuck, so need to get them removed.

Last edited by N77; 15-08-2018 at 06:11 AM.

So Thursday 9th August I had the morning to mess, as I had commitments in the afternoon, and I wanted to get the seats in out of the way (car is at my folks) so before these went in, I needed to fit the pedals.

I fitted it with the footrest but this maybe removed, as I donít think itís needed.

Also cleaned it up a little as what looked like mould/damp around the interior looked horrible. I may look at painting the inside at some point, but that can wait for now...

Then I got the seats fitted and also the harnesses to a point, the rears are not quite right where they fall.

So currently up to date, I have purchased a couple of more bits, I have some Hardrace LCAs for the rear and have also dropped on a Safety Devices rear cage (as in the spent money on thread), which I am picking up Thursday, all being well, so this will sort my harness issues out as well...

Today I just popped some rubber trim I purchased off eBay just to cover up the seem around the door, where the plastic trims cover normally. Itís something little but I just think it finishes it better.

Thatís it for now, I am at Curborough event in the morning and have a job in the afternoon, so hoping to start stripping the suspension when Iím back from picking up the cage on Thursday and seeing about getting replacements

11. The Following User Says Thank You to N77 For This Useful Post:

Stamford78 (16-08-2018)