• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

N77's ex now being sorted by Simon & Jamie

Good progress bud, shame about the arms. Makes you wonder what caused that damage though, as mine were reasonably rusty but nothing remotely close to that... I mean could the harsh bushes contribute to them splitting like that due to the higher amount of stress on the metal?

Good progress bud, shame about the arms. Makes you wonder what caused that damage though, as mine were reasonably rusty but nothing remotely close to that... I mean could the harsh bushes contribute to them splitting like that due to the higher amount of stress on the metal?

The depth of corrosion was significant though, regardless of the bush origin. Maybe a previous owner liked going to the beach or fording brackish streams... Or just had a commute full of salted roads. Or all of the above :lol:

Great thread lad. Good progress. Shows what can be done on the driveway. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

So the clean up continues....

Collected the front control arms from HondaHQ with the bushes removed and cleaned them up a little more, then treated them with my rust converter, give it a once over and now it’s ready to put some paint on them...

e52f4ef66194c35e2d990f49798eec67.jpg

c2eadfe1836747c9048ef7d9dc538f22.jpg

61dd0a44d816917ea9bc2b8543647594.jpg

Just need to paint them now, drop them back with Dan at HondaHQ to put the SuperPro bushes from the old arms into these...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So today was spray day lol

339bad8b87125994d88f4ab1d027f9a4.jpg

Hung them up so it was easier to do and gave it a light coat first, then a couple more coats after...

Once they were touch dry I have bought them inside to harden up better...

8bcaf9e514a0802db16d3ea6a8a9fc7b.jpg

Also had my replacement Buddy Club roll centre adjuster boots turn up as well, to replace the split ones.

9851ba37d958850ddd8d1573ec830039.jpg

Dropping them all off tomorrow with Dan to get the SuperPro bushes swapped to these arms, and change over the bushes as well :)

So my control arms are ready to pick up after having the SuperPro bushes swapped out of the knackered arms into my newly refurbed ones. Also bushes removed from the rear trailing arms, which Dan said are a f##ker to remove, so glad I got him to do them lol. He also put my new boots on the BC roll centre adjusters.

2237664771c645dba8e089447a542608.jpg

Once back then some more hard work begins with refurbing the hubs and the cleaning up of the trailing arms, as they take some time to do. I am thinking of cheating with these and getting them done where I normally get my wheels powder coated, will shall see.

So more spraying today on my rear hubs, the same process I did on my arms, started by wire brushing them with a drill attachment, then used the dremel to get it right down as they were pretty bad, then more wire brushing. Then I treated it with my rust convertor all over, then lightly went over with the wire brush attachment to smooth it, and then masked and painted...

e357ddb3eaec825a3b2e1ec27bc04359.jpg

Masked up the SuperPro bushes while using the rust convertor just as a precaution...

7ba1ac5ab746d37e71e936cfbe032969.jpg

Cleaned, masked up and ready to spray

6328638cd7520d50bd77d2e5c13864b8.jpg

21e62b49a800c33e84a87b47608fe370.jpg

637cf12d3632771908f0f6c0bf46b0b5.jpg

All done after a couple of coats and they have come out okay, bought them inside as it’s warmer so should harden the paint better, then they are ready to be fitted once I’ve got the trailing arms sorted anyway lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice job on the hubs.

For removing the bushes on the front arms I've found if you use an old drill bit and drill through the bush in a few places then just try to cut around the outside with the drill. Its really easy then just cut through the sleeve with a dremel or hacksaw and knock out with a punch or chisel. It doesn't take long at all and none of the horrible mess and smoke you get from burning them out which ive done a lot of too.

For fitting the big polly bush on the front they can be hard to get in, so I jacked a car up then put a piece of wood under a wheel and use the weight of the car to push the bush in, loads easier and quicker than trying to push it in in a vice.

So I picked up the control arms, front hubs and trailing arms from Dan @HondaHQ today.

Started work in the front hubs as I want to get them pained on my next days off.

So got to work removing the guards that were ****ed anyway, but who has them on a track car

11930d6d3d993d0534dc1ff3e8389ac5.jpg

5a479ccaacd3b2b5156232b776e71b08.jpg

This car had been fitted with Spoon brakes so had been cut anyway...

7aec959784c779f5cb80f5d390eda233.jpg

As you can see from the photo above, a bit of work required on these....

So taped up my newly fitted service boots and speed sensor and began working on it.

86910d41bae4bea77a930c040e5147b8.jpg

Ran out of time as it’s taking longer than I thought on these, even though they are smaller than the rear, but built up of crap and surface rust takes some time to get rid off, and being awkward shaped too.

Will tackle now again on Sunday and hopefully paint Monday...

So it continues on the front hubs, I thought these would be done quicker, how wrong was I.

Unfortunately I had a bit of bad luck today and that delayed me finishing them.

The dremel I have been using started playing up, I think it was the switch as it would come on then I would turn it off, then it wouldn’t come on.

Also someone came and disturbed me and I was looking what I was doing, then the drill ripped up the cable of the speed sensor and broke the connector, I do have a few so I may be able to swap it, but it ****ed me off.

Then to top it all off the dremel refused to come back on, I only had a bit left to do as well, so ended up going to B&Q and grabbing a new one.

So I did end up finishing getting most of the rust off and back to metal, then I treated them as I have done with the others to the rust converter and have left them to dry.

My plan was to paint them tomorrow after some work commitments I have in the morning, but it really is getting dark quick, so I will only have a couple of hours to do them, and have to set them up, move the car out of my garage etc.. I am going to leave them until Tuesday when I have more time.

568160b1ed1a7fbde14c2774c6107d9d.jpg

These were really bad to start with so they do take time to get it all removed and back to metal...

6526785cbc6f11591654aafe5a56ac51.jpg

b23cdd81e6cc7ca8a50770e2ad416b44.jpg

Then treated with my rust converter before painting....

bb905724157a13dd592081e253297bb6.jpg

Next job after painting is to clean up all the bolts and possibly give them a coat of black paint on the tops just to tidy them up a bit.

Not sure what to do with the trailing arms, I have done a fair bit of work on the one already, but have the other to sort. Was going to take them to a powder coating place in Birmingham to do, but I feel like cheating if I do haha

Also I have ordered all my Hardrace bits I need to complete the suspension side of things, while they had 20% OFF so I have the following coming shortly:-

Adjustable camber arms
Steering rods and tie rod ends
Drop links front and rear
Trailing arm bushes

All I need then is the Progress ARB and the suspension can all be fitted and done to a point, then it will be a trip to Area Motorsport to get Rob to do some modifications and set it up correctly.

I then still need to sort a full exhaust system and some brakes before I can get it up and running for a track car.

The gearbox modifications will have to come later in the year....

Good update. Thats lot of hard work for just a dremel tbh I would be looking to use a die grinder.
I had my dremel die a bit back I replaced with with a von haus one from ebay I think that's how its spelled, its much more powerful and has done quite a bit of work so far no issues with it.

Where did you get the 20% the hardrace products? I'm after some of their rear arms for my dc2.

N77’s Track Day epthree Project

Good update. Thats lot of hard work for just a dremel tbh I would be looking to use a die grinder.
I had my dremel die a bit back I replaced with with a von haus one from ebay I think that's how its spelled, its much more powerful and has done quite a bit of work so far no issues with it.

Where did you get the 20% the hardrace products? I'm after some of their rear arms for my dc2.

I did use a drill with a wire brush attachment first then used the dremel on the harder bits to get into. I have a new one now so if it does go while I’m doing the trailing arms, I’ll just take it back and get another haha

I don’t plan on doing all this again so don’t really want to get anymore tools, spent a fortune already but most I will use again for maintenance of it

The Hardrace items I got was from JMS Honda but I believe it’s across from Hardrace themselves, I initially saw it with MJC, be quick though as it was only on for the weekend, I think it finishes today at midnight

Last edited by a moderator:
So got round to painting my front hubs after my prep work with removing surface rust and treating with my rust converter.

Now all smoothed, remasked and painted :)

8702f90989fcb3511941e5e4340f3a2f.jpg

Got some extra lighting this time as it’s quite dark and especially spraying black, also helps heat the place up too

6304e5ba57c98e9ce68f122fbd12b7c1.jpg

Now bought them inside to heat up a bit so they dry well, did this with the rears and it seems to have worked :)

b652d72c9060190d1f9286910543e659.jpg

9ca715a938ac5a37d0bd99c37fc272d3.jpg

Just the rear trailing arms to sort now

For those not following me on Instagram, one of my parts have arrived in readiness for rebuilding.

The Progress ARB has come and unwittingly the colour of the front lower control arms and what will be the colour of the rear trailing arms is a near on match to the bar of the Progress, so matches nicely :)

432ca69456a91959536e681f8a145e00.jpg

Still waiting for my Hardrace order to come in....

Spot on mate.
The hardrace stuff has to be ordered in usually. I've ordered some front and rear arms and my expected dispatch date from Htune is dec 6th.

From what I know, Adam at 6Two1 has Hardrace as stock items. Might be worth trying him Carl ;)

From what I know, Adam at 6Two1 has Hardrace as stock items. Might be worth trying him Carl ;)

I’ve ordered already but not in a mad rush for them, as I need to returb the rear trailing arms first before fitting the bushes

Just heard that they should be with me on Wednesday :)

My pads are also being sent, so should get those tomorrow. I will see about ordering the brakes once my Christmas bonus comes in :)

Back