• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Installing A/C into a none A/C EP3 model HELP!

Hi guys,

I'm new to forum I have just got my ep3 and I would like a/c.
I know what parts I need as I have done extensive research though I have noticed that there are fuse placements for fuses to go to the A/C so I'm guessing wiring is already there?

Really what I want to know is is there a plug to power the A/C compresser already wired in? Long shot I know but when I installed the A/C button for preparation it seemed to light up so I'm guessing it has power? But then again it will probably just be powering the LED inside.

Has anyone ever done this before and could help me understand if there isn't does anyone have a wiring diagram for this?

Thanks in advance.

#firstpost

winter is coming......

Exactly, need the A/C to de-mist the window in the damp conditions....

As far as I’m aware. No EP3 came from factory with A/C and they were all fitted at dealer level. I would assume wiring is already there and it’s a case of plug in (plus charge with refrigerant) and play.

Surely not Lew? Tis different pulleys and belts etc. I'd be shocked if that were the case.

All the piping, the dangerous gas etc... It's not a little job. I can't see dealers doing that on 60/70% of the cars they sold.

Plus, it'd be more readily available as a kit for guys like this if that were the case.

I'm fairly sure Lewis is correct there, most honda stuff is dealer fit. I'm sure a lad I used to know said they'd fit air Con to new cars as none have it fitted at Swindon.

I'm sure someone here will know more about it though.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Amazed by that if that's true. I've heard of plenty of dealer fit items before but never anything like an entire air con system.

Who was that guy who worked the Honda production line? He'll be the man to ask.

Air cor requires new mounts for rad, different aux belt, removal of front bumper, dash and other awful items. I cannot see a way to do any of this in a sane fashion at a dealer.

My thinking exactly, it's too big of a job for the £600ish (IIRC) optional extra cost.

We've had to fit ac to vitos and sprinters (cheers salesman!) which has been a 20 hour job in some cases! Thankfully I didn't have to do it!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Wow didn't expect so many replies. Haha

Still no definite answer though. The dash would only need to come out for climate control or so I've heard. New belt mounting brackets for the compressor and radiator is correct but would I need to wire from the fuse box as I can't see a plug anywhere? But there are fuse connectorions there.

Exactly, need the A/C to de-mist the window in the damp conditions....

As far as I’m aware. No EP3 came from factory with A/C and they were all fitted at dealer level. I would assume wiring is already there and it’s a case of plug in (plus charge with refrigerant) and play.

You are absolutely correct A/C on EP3 was only a dealer fit option., they did not leave the Swindon factory with A/C (UKDM), Maybe that's why it looks like an after thought..... Heath Robinson comes to mind :lol::lol::lol:

Heath Robinson...

Heath Robinson
Adj: An invention, machine or process that is makeshift, fragile, poorly engineered or overly elaborate.

William Heath Robinson (1872-1944) was a British Cartoonist well known for humourous illustrations of fantasical inventions involving large numbers of components, often in order to acheive a very simple purpose.
Eg) "My new customised mousetrap, made from the contents of a kitchen cupboard, string, sticky tape and old lawnmower parts was finally complete. It did look a bit Heath Robinson, but it might just work."

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely not Lew? Tis different pulleys and belts etc. I'd be shocked if that were the case.

All the piping, the dangerous gas etc... It's not a little job. I can't see dealers doing that on 60/70% of the cars they sold.

Plus, it'd be more readily available as a kit for guys like this if that were the case.

You’ll be amazed what was done to vehicles from new at dealer level.
A little different nowadays as a lot of the cars come already equipped as standard with the usual stuff.
Back in the day though you’d be cutting open roofs to fit sunroofs and drilling holes in the wings to fit aerials. Radios on some cars was an optional extra. Imagine that!
Still now sometimes I’ll have to drill brand new bumpers to retro fit parking sensors. Although a lot of the time they’re available from factory, the sales team would rather sell a vehicle in stock that require the retrofit rather than wait 3 months for one with sensors to come from the factory.

Back