• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My Dc2 rebuild - New archs are in.

Not touched this in ages. ive bought heaps of parts for it like new rear lower hard race oem style arms and hard race front upper arms, theres probably heaps more too.

A guy I know used to build rally cars at M-Sport, then he set up on his own, but hes always busy. I asked him if he would do the arches on the dc2 ages back but he was booked up for most of the year so I looked else where. I gave him a shout in October/ November last year and he said he could do it but it wouldn't be until Dec/Jan. Anyway its booked in for 26th Jan, got my mate with a recovery truck booked in to take it down. I'm just going to get him to finish all the fabrication work off and probably prime all the new metalwork to protect it then I will get someone else to spray it. I've a guy in mind locally who is an excellent painter and he did my GT4 but not sure he will take this on. If not there's a place over in the north east which I've seen do good work so they are an option. There's lots of bodyshops round where I live but most aren't up to much and for any good job they do there's a heap of rubbish ones they have turned out.

So im looking forward to it going then just returning with all the rust cut out, and fresh new steel replacing it. All the work I have been struggling with. I've learnt a good bit from the fabrication work I've done on it but at this rate im just not going to get the car finished and im not confident I could make the new arches up myself anyway, this guy has all the gear and even an English wheel now too so it wont be a problem for him.
Once its back I will get it off for paint then I can put it all back together using all the new parts I've got or picking the best parts from the two tegs. Then I will likely strip the other teg and sell what I don't need, likely keeping a stash of spares. I'm going to hire a carpet cleaner and give the carpet and the interior a good freshen up. Once its all back together I will likely fit the turbo parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
haha maybe mate not sure I would be going though.
I got a bit more done last night. The rear trailing arms are really rusty and there's no way the abs sensors were going to come out without destroying the mounting for it. Checked the rear arms on the other teg and they look in much better condition so im going to take those off and clean them up and fit them with new bushes and stuff. I got some pics but not uploaded them yet. I also cleaned up more of the drivers side rear arch and underneath.

Does he have curly hair and enjoys dressing in lycra to ride his bicycle?

hahaha not sure not really seen much of him for ages tbh.

Care package from H-Tune

The old arm on the passenger side was a right ball bag and i had to cut the arm to get it off the car

The other side all came off pretty easy

I started knocking the RTA bushes out

Then started stripping the rear suspension from the donor teg as this is in much better condition underneath

I wanted to remove the discs but some of the screws were well in, all the others came out with an impact driver but this one wouldnt budge, so i got it nice and hot with the tig welder then built it up with filler wire.

Then i got some grips on it and it started to come out nicely.

and out.

Ive also done a bit more cleaning up underneath the shell and the drivers side wheel arch, still lots to do though.

And the next seized bolt

building it up with weld got it moving with the grips on it but then it just seized up again after a few turns. so i ended up drilling it out but then that only worked for so much of it and then i had to use my powerful dremel type tool with a carbide burr to grind the redt of the bolt out then pick the remaining pieces out of the threads then run a tap through it. It came out ok in the end but tool me all afternoon yesterday!

After that i made a start cleaning up the RTA's with a wire wheel in the grinder, i finished it tonight then wiped them down with thinners and got a coat of bilt hamber hydrate 80 on. no pics yets though as i forgot. Also had the brackets from the handbrake cables, arb mounts and the caliper shield things in deox C eating away at the rust, they need another go but its a start.

Nice one. Seeing as I cannot do builds for lack of funds and expertise, I get my fix from you lot :D

Hahaha. I will try keep this updated, I often forget to take pics or the battery goes flat or I've left the phone in the house ect. Hopefully my mate can make a quick start on it this Saturday and we can see some good progress.

Nice one. Seeing as I cannot do builds for lack of funds and expertise, I get my fix

Update just for you mate.

Yours must be fooked mate haha. It must have been a decent car before the crash as its alot better underneath than the one in the garage

Yes the workshop is a right dump. I'll ***** tidy it when the teg gets out.

Here's the arms

And in zinc primer. Finish doesn't need to be perfect on these as they came with a bit of underseal on from the factory i believe so i will be giving them a light coat of black stonechip i think.

Im away for a few days now so no updates until i get back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got back sooner than i thought we would so i got the rear trailing arms sprayed with 2 coats of black.

Next im going to spray the hard race rear lower control arms to protect them as all the hard race products ive seen rust very quickly unfortunetely. i dont think the paint system they use is any good for the uk.

Hardrace lower control arms painted

Not a good pic but they were then given a light coat of autosmart black underseal

The car is now back on its wheels and the interior has been stripped for the new archs fabricated and all the welding.

Great update. Can’t wait for this to be done :cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big day today guys, the Teg goes on its holiday. I gave the garage a clean out yesterday for the first time in months. what a dump it was. when the cars out the garage I will be sweeping it all out.
My mate thinks he will have the fab work done on the arches within a week! I think it will take longer but I like the sound of it. then I need to see if the guy I know will do the paint work. He wants to see the car after the metal work first, I guess to see if the jobs decent or not before he gets it, fingers crossed he will take it on. Im guessing I will likely need most of the car sprayed for it to be right.

Got this heap dropped off for the fab work on Monday with the help of my mate and his truck. Ended up having to remove the front bumper to get the car on and it still only just went on.

My mate thinks the car will be done in a week so he should be bashing on with it. Hopefully have some pics soon.

After some delays with the steel as I asked for him to use Zintec sheet steel rather than the usual steel sheet you can get anywhere so it is taking a bit longer. The Zintec stuff has a light zinc coating on it, like galv but not as thick so that it still welds nice. Its much more resistant to corrosion and better than spraying zinc primer on steel your self. I've left off cuts outside for months before and they don't rust. Its more expensive but its the stuff to use if you want a proper job.

We have updates

Few more updates.

Bit more rust guys

7vYFgRi.jpg

n7i1fEU.jpg

new sill clamped in place and a start on the inner arch/ inner sill end

AvDSX0D.jpg

inner arch made and mostly welded in.

GAjK5pe.jpg

i think the inner arch is all finished now but no more updated pics.

Back