• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Do I need a BBK at this point

Hi All,

This is my first post so hopefully will get good feedback and help <3.

Currently, I have an ep3 with an AEM v2 and catback. I am looking to get a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and decat with a remap. Do you think I should get a BBK such as Bembo before these mods or can I run stock brakes untill I turbo or supercharge? At the moment money is an issue and I am looking about 6 months into the future but I am willing to wait on the remap and cat deleted if a BKK is recommended, but from hearing from previous threads with the remap there is a only 20-30HP increase so is the BBK REALLY needed at this point? I had it dynoed before I added the AEM intake and was running 225HP but this was on a cool day, will I see much HP gaines?

Any advice is helpful.

No, just get yourself some decent pads and fluid. A change of discs if money allows, but in all honesty, if your set on going for a BBK, I would just the set up as it is until you go forced induction.

Something to think about when you get a BBK, you may need to run spacers to get them under the wheels, or you could opt for a set of spoon 4 pot calipers, that run on standard sized discs.

Unless you're driving like a complete weapon, or doing hard track driving, you don't NEED a BBK.

Having said that, a BBK is an absolutely brilliant mod on any EP3 as (IMHO) the brakes are the weakest point on the car.

Going BBK means you will need spacers though, which will affect scrub radius which will affect torque steer.

Stoptechs are stupid money. For the price you can get K-System Brembos, and new wheels with correct width and offset to both clear the brakes with ET to get the geometry where you want it without spacers, AND decent tyres as well.

ET37 works well and isnt possible using hubcentric spacers as they need to be at least 10mm bringing ET down to 35 which is too much and as mikeh suggests will bollocks up steering geo.
Clearance is also generally a standard wheel problem, loads of aftermarket wheels will have spoke clearance for BBKs at ET45.

Apples and oranges. Brembos are nowhere near as good as Stoptech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrJvaRncEBY

I've tried both on track, night and day difference.

That vid is sheer marketing guff, any brakes including the standard setup in good order is more than capable of locking the wheels up so tyres are the limiting factor. Modulation/feel and resistance to fade are the main reasons to get a BBK, outright power is somewhat meaningless however both kits will easily be better than standard in that respect too.

Unless your experience is back to back testing with new parts, same manufacturer discs, same pads, properly bedded in, same tyres, fluid and the dozens of other variables being identical then your conclusions are also comparing apples with oranges and purely subjective. I'd say the Brembos are equally "night and day" compared to standard spec.
The price difference isnt subjective and is an unarguable fact.

Accord callipers is another cheaper option. Simon25 has them on his EP3, I'd never seen them done before I saw that. They're 4 pot, not sure if they use a different diameter disc or not though.

Accord callipers is another cheaper option. Simon25 has them on his EP3, I'd never seen them done before I saw that. They're 4 pot, not sure if they use a different diameter disc or not though.

Twin pot Hazz and you use the Accord discs. Same diameter just thicker 28mm vs 25mm.

I stand corrected. Do the pads have more contact & calliper piston a bigger diameter? They look so much longer than the ep3 calliper from what remember seeing on yours.

Not necessarily

Even the Stoptech 328mm BBK fits behind standard wheels with no spacers

Whilst that's true we did end up with the caliper just grazing the back of the spokes, enough to take the paint off the caliper so we put a 3mm (or 5mm, I forget which) spacer in each side to just nudge it out.

But they have been brilliant on track.

Back