• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 Gear stick 'clunks' into place when changing gears..normal?

Hi all,

I'm new to Honda and have just bought a 2015 FK2 Type R last week. I have been driving a 2003 Seat Leon TDI for 11 years so a lot different from the type r and so getting used to it.

Ok, so when I depress the clutch fully and change gears slowly and gently, (say from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to 3rd), I have noticed the gear stick 'clunks' into place. Its a mechanical sounding 'clunk' heard inside the cabin. Its almost like the gear sits itself in place.

There are no actual issues changing gears or anything and the car drives sound but is this normal for a modern Honda or am i doing something wrong?

Its more noticeable when the engine is cold but when it warms up its a little less evident.

Sorry for the silly question.

Cheers!

Ok I think I know what's happening. Its actually my driving style. I'm not holding the gear knob firm enough and putting it into gear.

Silly me anyway it's all about me getting used to it.
Sorry for the wasteful thread!

So you were partially engaging and allowing the clutch release to drag it into gear you think?

Mike H,

No, my foot was firmly down on the clutch, but I was gently putting the gear stick into gear but letting it 'notch' into place rather than persuading it into gear if that makes sense. Imagine if the gear was magnetic, with a gentle push it slots into place. Best way I can describe it.

This creates a clunk sound as it falls in.

Mark, thanks for your post, it does seem that it 'clunks' into place, but now that I'm firmly putting the great stick into gear, its not as bad as it was before. Like I said its me as the driver being in error.

Cheers,

Sorry, I didn't mean partially engaging the clutch I meant partially engaging the gear, and when you released the clutch this caused it to finally lock into place. Thanks for the follow-up though, I was curious is all.

Anyway now that you know the gearbox is ok we need to see pics of the car :p

I see,from your other thread,you picked the best colour :smt023

Regards,Mark.

Sorry, I didn't mean partially engaging the clutch I meant partially engaging the gear, and when you released the clutch this caused it to finally lock into place. Thanks for the follow-up though, I was curious is all.

No worries Mike, i dont think that was the case, the clutch wasnt being lifted at the time of changing gears. its my own manual error

Cheers!

Anyway now that you know the gearbox is ok we need to see pics of the car :p

I see,from your other thread,you picked the best colour :smt023

Regards,Mark.

Mark, sure I can upload an image but there is a 1MB limit on attachments. Tried jpg, png, bmp but they are all over 1Mb.. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

A truly awesome looking machine 8)

Although I am a bit biased :lol:

This is mine.....

fZLhrzJ.jpg

Regards,Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice cars the both of you... i'm a bit jealous of the coast road environment you get to play in.

going back to on-topic, i have found the civic is clunkier than i'm used to on past cars. i tend to find that with cable linkages though so seems fairly typical.

Last edited by a moderator:
:smt045 I found the FN2s I had previously definitely had a smoother/quieter shift :mrgreen:

BTW that is the coastal road between Abbotsbury & West Bay down in Dorset - don't actually live there but have a caravan round the corner ;)

Regards,Mark.

nice cars the both of you... i'm a bit jealous of the coast road environment you get to play in.

going back to on-topic, i have found the civic is clunkier than i'm used to on past cars. i tend to find that with cable linkages though so seems fairly typical.

Thanks for the reply mate, good to know its a normal thing. Mind is now at peace!

Back