• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Did I kill my K20 ep3?

Ok so, as per my not so long lived owners thread, my ep3 recently bit the dust so to speak with the bottom end going. This was the day after a rather 'spirited run' shall we say which included some heavy m/way miles too. Probably 40mins or more in vtec.

The thing is, and don't get me wrong coming from 30+yrs of owning high performance cars, I tend to push quite hard, probably as hard if not harder (from what I've seen) on 'track days'. Which kinda gives me the feeling I'd get chucked off there :lol: but I digress...

Ultimately, on the said day I had the ep3 nicely balanced at high rpm in a very long twin lane slip road that was empty, one of my favorite vices as it's national limit still, with over 300 degrees of tight curve... ie heaps of inertia to the engine and therefore the sump.

Is it a very likely scenario it was oil starved? I've only just found out about this happening after noticing sump baffles for the K20.
I did actually check the oil before leaving on the outward journey and it was just below the top mark. I'd say 3/4 beween the two marks probably on the way back after consumption.

I'm kind of dissapointed really since with all the cars I've owned including B16A2 crx's (one my brother drove around for over a week with no water in the radiator, another I hydrolocked with a CAI in a flash flood) both were perfectly fine afterwards.

The B16A2's were virtually indistructable, 186K later still singing and powering away and didn't need constant medical care like the K20 seems to.

I've been looking at FN2's now, lower miles, but do not want the same troubles or hassles to be honest.

So, FN2? or move make again?
Thanks.

What’s the mileage on it? It could have been a stretched timing chain.

Hi, Timing chain & tensioner done by honda 80K ish IIRC bill was about £800 and bottom end went at 125k.

Back