• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 - Best intake for gains/sound

What is currently the best intake for gains and sound?

I am not sure if I want to keep the Tegiwa and have been looking at the Injen CAI as it seems to be very well rated. Is that still the case and are there any downsides?

CAI's sound better than Teg/Gruppe M in my opinion. They're deeper and less metallic sounding.

IIRC they don't make quite the same power as the Teg though (we're talking like 1bhp difference here). They also have the potential to hydro lock. You can use a hydro sock to help avoid this. Or just don't drive through deep puddles fast or ford any rivers. I drove with one (albeit an AEM) for 100k miles, no issues.

Additionally, they also look rubbish in the engine bay. They leave a huge gaping hole.

The AEM CAI was the best I had for gains IMO. But the Gruppe M does look far better, and has an amazing sound, my friend compared it to Darth Vader with asthma :lol:

I'm thinking of a 6" Blox velocity stack :p
I've had...
teg m - nice sound but got too much for me. Rattle.
ITG maxogen - no real noise increase but nice bit of kit.
Apexi power intake - car felt most lively and noise is good.
Aem v2 - nice sound but noticed nothing else.
Aem cai - never fitted it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there you have it... Opinions :lol:

Go listen to one and see which you prefer.

Well there you have it... Opinions :lol:

Go listen to one and see which you prefer.

Well I already have the Teg, and it sounds like it is highly rated (since its a Gruppe M copy), but to fix the rattle i'd have to take some drastic measures and modify it. I love the sound and the look, its just the rattle...

Well unless you're bothered about how the 'bay looks then the CAIs are a nice alternative and don't rattle at all.

Presumably you could get a pretty penny back for the teg, buy a CAI and still have a chunk of change.

I'm a Mugen convert. Perfect rattle free fit. Nice noise increase over OEM and they make good power. Maybe I'm old now but I like to be able to make progress without the bark of an open cone filter so the Mugen suits me perfectly.

I must be so used to all the rattles of the Teg M combined with engine mount inserts that I forget about them and it's just normal :lol:

No idea on gains probably similar to the AEM V2

Made by Top fuel, their 'power chamber'. Ordered mine from Japan on my first ep3

the best sounding intake i have heard so far on ep3.

although I loved my Gruppe M

Generic pic:
img60418493.jpg

I initially went for a K&N 57i kit, with a tegiwa heat shield and a silicone elbow............at full throttle it was very loud, I swapped the K&N filter for a ram air foam one, no noticeable difference

Then I removed it all and went back to standard, mainly down to an awful intake sound at idle........

However, today, I am trying out a K&N typhoon kit, with the tegiwa heat shield and a ramair cold air feed, the awful intake sound at idle has disappeared, havent gone out on the road to test it yet though

What is currently the best intake for gains and sound?

I am not sure if I want to keep the Tegiwa and have been looking at the Injen CAI as it seems to be very well rated. Is that still the case and are there any downsides?

I've tried most now but will be sticking with the injen, sounds superb and feels like it has given the most gains.

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread....... im having my EP3 mapped at the end of the month. I'm currently running a AEM v2 but ive been led to believe that these are one of the worst for getting the best gains. Obviously i want to make the most of my map so i'm thinking of swapping it. Either for the injen CAI or the Tegiwa? Any advice from people which is best? :)

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread....... im having my EP3 mapped at the end of the month. I'm currently running a AEM v2 but ive been led to believe that these are one of the worst for getting the best gains. Obviously i want to make the most of my map so i'm thinking of swapping it. Either for the injen CAI or the Tegiwa? Any advice from people which is best? :)

Tegiwa seems to make more top end IIRC

But for the money you might as well go Injen, cheaper and no rattles to fix once the tegiwa starts rattling.

Tegiwa looks nicer in engine bay, but i would probably save a little money and go Injen

Fitted my Injen at the weekend, it's superb (3" CAI), prefer it to the Teg I had in the past

Back