• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

late 2018 tyre suggestions...

Hello chaps,

I know tyres are a subject that are heavily covered however I wanted some ideas and recommendations for my new set relevant to 2018 as alot of information is now out of date that I can find.

I'll be running standard EP3 wheels @ 17" and I understand the optimal size (I plan to drop with 30mm eibachs next week) will be 215/40r17.

I know Micheline PS4s are probably the best tyre as they get rave reviews everywhere but they are £125 a tyre+ . I'm.used to finding those really good mid ranger performance tyre where you get a lot for your money IMHO such as Toyo, Avon, Falken and Hankook variants.

Correct me where I am wrong as I appreciate the input of you CTR veterans out there and this is my first post on the forum so go easy on me please :p

Thanks in advance :cool:

Well, in a nutshell.... the old info is still pretty much up to date. Most, if not all tyres are still in production that you will find talked about on this forum.

From what you're saying, the goodyear EF1 is the tyre for you. Decent all rounder.

I also rate the Dunlop RT sportmaxx, but I use them for a diesel daily so probably not a fair comparison. Certainly wouldn't be my first choice on an ep3 if money wasn't an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ordered a pair of Michelin Pilot SuperSport to replace the PS4's I've now worn down. See how they go but hopefully be decent!

Goodyear EF1 AS3 seems okay but it depends what you want from it and the car. Spending more makes a difference.

Cheers for the input folks, yes I know top end tyres give the top end results however my EP3 is running standard power, I'll never track it as I can't keep up with the required maintenance of tracking a car at the moment so I'm looking for a fast road tyre for the occasional hoon on a B road.

Do soft tyre walls make a big difference in the EP3? I was looking at Uniroyal rainsports but read alot about soft tyre walls and it put me off.

I'd like to spend around £80 a tyre really and get the best I can for this price range..

F1A3 as a minimum on an EP3 but be aware that if you are coming from Potenza's or a similar tyre with a stiff sidewall you will compromise on feel. There's a lot more to a tyre than wet, dry and braking performance and considering it's the only thing keeping you on the road, you may as well get something decent especially on a car that's as tyre sensitive as an EP3.

Thanks for your input Chris. Yes I completely agree on not compromising but I didn't want to just buy into the most expensive if there were others out there that performed well without being high end.

If people could drop down a few suggestions, maybe an optimal tyre for an EP3 and an all rounder compromise type of tyre..

If there's an overwhelming agreement on a tyre ill probably just pay the extra but I think I find a good tyre then I read 10 reviews and there's always people with a huge dislike to them and then I end up searching again.

We've ran toyo t1r's on the girlfriends ep3 for over 40k miles now. They last pretty well and I find them predictable when having some fun. Some people say they are awful and just a budget tyre but I've always liked them and just bought another last week using an ebay code and it was about 51 quid delivered I think! bargain!
I've got a garage with heaps of tyres in for my other cars and tried quite a few in smaller sizes and don't find the t1r any less of a tyre than others ive tried. I did go from the t1r to a federal r1r once and yes I found the federal tyre had more grip but they cost more and likely wouldn't last as long.

Pilot Sport 4S aren't available in 225/40 R18, or at least not on the three sites I've looked at.

I had Michelin Cross Climate + on the Focus. Contemplating them again for the new car but I've not been in something that isn't barge like with them on, so I'm not sure.

Either that or Goodyear EF1 A3... 2nd in the 2018 Evo Tyre test and all.

Back