• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Type R stickers

I have splashed out on genuine Honda side decals for when I get the paintwork sorted out.
The instructions say use "neutral detergent" to wet them while fitting.
What is neutral detergent, it seems odd to spray water over adhesive stickers?

Neutral as in pH-7 (neither basic or acidic)

A couple of drops of washing up liquid in a spray bottle of water will be fine :D

It will enable you to accurately position the decal :smt023

Regards,Mark.

If I remember rightly, I didn't do what the instructions said. I just (perhaps foolishly!) applied them carefully and used a resin squeege thing to smooth them out and get any air bubbles out. Turned out perfectly.

Was a bit concerning though because the genuine stickers are stupidly expensive. Did you buy the ones that come in the huge box with the grille badge as a set?

As Mark has already said, just 2 drops of washing up liquid in 500ml of water in a spray bottle, very light spray over the panel before fitting will give the option to move the vinyl if needed, don't go over the top with the liquid, 2 drops is all you need or you will form a barrier between the paint/vinyl and it won't bond!

As Mark has already said, just 2 drops of washing up liquid in 500ml of water in a spray bottle, very light spray over the panel before fitting will give the option to move the vinyl if needed, don't go over the top with the liquid, 2 drops is all you need or you will form a barrier between the paint/vinyl and it won't bond!

Thanks, exactly why I asked the question. I didn't make sense to put water between the car and the glue.

does the same apply with bonnet stripes? i bought a set of black bonnet stripes for my white fk2 from dream and they came with no instructions
they sit in the grooved lines on the bonnet and are super tack, which means no second chances if i try to apply them dry and make a mistake
so would the above recommendations for wet application be better?
its kinda giving me the fear to even attempt them as a dry fitting

Can't help you on that one. I got a bodyshop to do mine when they resprayed the car.

does the same apply with bonnet stripes? i bought a set of black bonnet stripes for my white fk2 from dream and they came with no instructions
they sit in the grooved lines on the bonnet and are super tack, which means no second chances if i try to apply them dry and make a mistake
so would the above recommendations for wet application be better?
its kinda giving me the fear to even attempt them as a dry fitting

Yes, I would never fit stripes dry! you only get one chance, wet method will allow you to remove and reposition before fixing..

thanks for the advice scotty44, will they stick as good wet as they would dry?
i presume they would just take longer to bond onto the paintwork

thanks for the advice scotty44, will they stick as good wet as they would dry?
i presume they would just take longer to bond onto the paintwork

Use a plastic filler applicator, or something similar, to squeegee the excess water out from under the transfer. But do it lightly!

I fitted stripes to my RX8 many years ago...more bubbles than an Aero & crooked as fcuk :lol:

I used the dry method on a really windy day just before I had to go to work :picardfp:

Last edited by a moderator:
im going to attempt it tomorrow, i have a meticulous and well thought out plan,

stay soberish tonight and rely on the little bit of luck we all get from time to time

To make it even easier, have another pair of hands :)
Fitting stripes, I would hinge them in the middle IE put them in place with the backing paper still on and run a bit of tape across the middle, then fold one half over the other, remove the backing paper while still folded over and cut the backing paper off, light spray of you're water mix onto the car and fold the vinyl over onto the car...try not to get any of the backing paper wet or it will stick and can be a mare to remove! 90% of stuff on this page here has been fitted wet > www.domedgels.co.uk/gallery.html , when done leave to dry/bond for as long as possible, other words dont take it out right after or you may see them in you're rear view mirror lol

so fitment was easy with a wet application, job done, stood back and just thought naw, just wasnt feelin it at all.
so off they came and settled for a polish
thanks for the advice anyway guys, glad i used the wet application as it coulda been tricky removing them if id done it dry

Back