• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Do I need a new clutch?

Hi Guys,

So my 2004 ep3 has just hit 105k and I’m experiencing some changes. The clutch is now biting a little lower and the gearbox feels quite notchy, not terrible where I can’t change gear though. I assuming this is down to clutch, thus will need replacing soon?

The car still pulls (not hammered it though) well and I have not experienced any clutch slip yet. The question is, do I leave it to get worse or to confirm it is a clutch issue or are there “other tests” to confirm otherwise?

What would you do?

Cheers

Rob

Ps, it’s the original clutch!

I changed mine recently on 93k, the biting point was about an inch or two off the floor and heavy, when I got it changed I nearly put my foot through the floor as it's so much lighter. Gear changes were notchy, especially in higher rpm. When was the gearbox fluid changed? I changed mine first and it made a difference, quite easy to do too. Go oem on all things clutch and gearbox related.
Also, I doubt you'll notice any slip.
My clutch springs were rattling too, do you get a noise at certain rpm like a metallic rattle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate,

I might have a blast in Vtec on the way home to check as since I’ve noticed the issue I’ve been very careful.

Gearbox fluid (MTF3) was changed in January, probably sooner than required but I wanted it done anyway. I haven’t noticed any rattles but I will have a listen on the way home.

Do you think it’s worth taking it to be assessed or shall I just leave it to get more pronounced?

Just rang my local Honda (Bristol) garage for a quote and they want £685 :eek:

Just noticed, your in Swindon. Where and how much did you pay if you don’t mind me asking?

I paid around £475 all in, fluid, 3 piece clutch kit and install. I used Performance Autoworks in Fairford. Google them and see what you think. I'll be going back to them for any jobs I need doing.

Just drove home and noticed the clutch pedal doesn’t feel smooth in travel also. Playing around in neutral It feels quite rough on release and is slightly heavier than before.

Can we confirm this is 100% a clutch issue?

Double check your clutch fluid is OK, rule out the master and slave cylinders. I would say it's new clutch time. Best thing I've changed on my car

Noob question but is that the small reservoir to the right of the brake fluid one, if so it’s on the max level but pretty dark?

I got a quote from the garage you recommended and I’m happy with the price but want to make sure it is the clutch before I book it in.

That is the clutch reservoir yes. Your best bet would probably be to book it in for suspected clutch issue and let them have a look for you. They would most probs be able to diagnose it very quickly and confirm what is required.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

The GF's EP3 is exactly the same as this and im going to be changing the clutch on it very soon. I got her it for her birthday last month with the MTF3.

When clutchs are worn ive found they go stiff. I think its because some of the springs in the clutch plate become compressed and a bit loose. I was sure my s2000 had a paddle clutch in it as the pedal was very heavy when the clutch started to slip I changed the clutch on that (worst clutch ive ever done!) and there was a genuine Honda clutch in it.

I looked all over and this is the cheapest genuine Honda clutch kit I could find. great price!

https://www.hondaparts247.co.uk/collections/honda-civic-type-r-ep3/products/honda-civic-type-r-clutch-kit

Mine was like that when I first got it, track car is also the same. New clutch time chief :)

Booked in now. I did receive a call back regarding my quote and they forgot to add the vat on for now it’s £567! Still cheaper than Hondas quote of £685 I guess...

Ah, I sourced my own oem clutch kit and got it for a good price. You might want to budget for some drop links too as the arb has to come off.

Ah, I sourced my own oem clutch kit and got it for a good price. You might want to budget for some drop links too as the arb has to come off.

Makes sense. I might ask them what the cost of labour only for the clutch also.

I’ve been quoted £69 fitted for the drop links (if required) and they will also fit my polybush arb bushes for free.

I’m also having the valve clearances done too. Bloody car is costing me more money each year.

I would love a new car more haha, I need to keep it another 2 years though.

My wife has a brand new civic sport 1.5 litre. It’s actually quite a decent car and goes well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where does one go for a decently priced OEM clutch kit for EP3 then?? Stealers want £225, whilst you can get an Exedy kit for £130. Are these definately all the same kits with identical parts included, just in a different box?

And if the front ARB has to come off, then is it worth going whole hog with a new JDM front ARB, bushes etc?

Back