• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 EP3 Steering

My pre-facelift has a steering issue.

It pulls straight on a flat surface but when going along normal bendy roads it will just pull off in every direction with the bumps and camber of the road like there is a complete lack of control. It will seem to be light in one direction and then slightly heavier in another and then back to normal - complete lack of consistency.

Its been difficult before and I had to have both my front drop links replaced and a new front engine mount in early 2016.

I had the car lowered (Eibach pro 30mm) in January 2017 and at the same time replaced the suspension top mounts, rear wishbone bushes and track rod ends but I did not have extended ball joints.

I know the car currently is knocking on the front left as well as unevenly wearing its front left tyre and the alignment is not perfect (had it checked Saturday) but this is all well within tolerances. Tyres are Michelin PS4's cracking tyre.

Could it be something is up with the steering rack because at the moment day to day driving is being ruined by the unpredictable steering.

Any help much appreciated. thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you moved to a wider tyre? Are you using spacers on the front wheels? If you have front adjustable camber bolts, how much negative camber has been applied?

Have you moved to a wider tyre? Are you using spacers on the front wheels? If you have front adjustable camber bolts, how much negative camber has been applied?

No standard tyre size.

No spacers.

Negative camber was -1.00 but FRSU's are a load of crap with camber bolts because its not a proper way to adjust camber you need to do that with top mounts. The bolts will turn when you hit a pot hole anyway.

I am running PS4s, spacers and they are one size wider than OEM. No problems or tram-lining for me (although mines the facelift, not sure how different the rack is).

I also have the Fast Road Set Up done at TGM, a few weeks ago.

I think there was a problem with the early steering racks? Didn't Honda do a recall or something for it?

I have an 06 plate, 7.5j rims with 215/45/17 AD08r. Oem suspension set up at the moment, mine can tram line.

I think there was a problem with the early steering racks? Didn't Honda do a recall or something for it?

Not a problem as such, but the facelift got a new rack to improve feedback because the initial electric rack was judged to be utterly soulless. The new one's an improvement, but it's still an early (in the greater scheme of things) attempt at an electric rack.

I’ve checked with Honda my rack was done and there is nothing left to do.

Is it worth putting on a refurbished facelift rack? How much would this cost roughly?

Thx

Not a problem as such, but the facelift got a new rack to improve feedback because the initial electric rack was judged to be utterly soulless. The new one's an improvement, but it's still an early (in the greater scheme of things) attempt at an electric rack.

I didn't like mine when I first got the car but adding the LSD weighted it up nicely.

Back