• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Front end knocking (EP3)

I have had quite a bad sounding knock from the front passengers side of my EP3 and i cannot for the life of me find out where it is coming from.

My Ep3 is almost at 110,000 so over the last week i have set about freshening up the front end while i fitted a DC5 Exhaust Manifold as the flange on my cat was rusted to fook.

So far i have replaced.

Drop links (Meyle Hd)
Shocks (Sachs)
Top Mounts (OEM)
Lower Wishbone bushes.
Lower Ball Joints (Meyle HD)
JDM ARB
ARB Bushes (OEM)

The only thing left i can think of is the rack or inner and outer rod ends but they dont feel like they have much play in them tbh.

Anything else i might have overlooked?

When does it knock? While turning or small bumps/large bumps? Acceleration/braking?

Rear mount is fine (No splits), Drivers side is fine (No splits),Gearbox one has an insert in it so shouldn't be that that is knocking, Front was changed a while a go (albeit a couple of years ago). Will give the front one another check it is a pain in the arse to get out though.

Hmmm, well you’ve replaced all the main suspects for that already. Do you a CAI? Mine knocked after I went to RBC and the solid mount no longer found its home... ended up packing it out with foam at the slam panel.

Usually I’d have said top mounts or drop links... Jack it up and give everything a wiggle with the old pry bar I guess?

It appears that the Sachs shocks i fitted are *****. Looks like a hefty bill getting two OEM ones from Honda:mad:

replaced my front shocks for new OEM one's today and no more knocking. Thank **** for that!

£275 out of my wallet but had to be done tbh. Now for the MOT tomorrow and i am ******** it!

Surprised by sachs, they have a good reputation (albeit not for shock absorbers). Have you sent them back?

Unfortunately I bought them from a member on here years ago. They were meant to have only done a few thousand miles.
Buy cheap buy twice eh.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I did consider them mate but the Sachs one's i fitted (Which were the correct one's for my car) threw the geo out massively to a point where i couldn't safely drive the car. I don't know what the **** was going on with them so i didn't want to take another chance on a non OEM brand shock. From what i have read and seen near enough everyone says the OEM shocks are far superior to any other brand for stock shocks. Put the OEM one's on and the car tracks great now. Will get the geo done when i replace both inner/outer track rods and steering rack slider by the end of the week IF it passes it's MOT today.

I have plenty of Meyle parts on the car and they all fit well but i was at a point where enough was enough and i had to get the car in for it's MOT before i wen't on holiday next week.

This car is starting to be a ****ing pain after 11 years of near trouble free ownership. Had to happen sometime i suppose.

Wen't to put on a set of Eiback ProKit springs yesterday since i was replacing the front shocks and all was going well until i got to the last bolt to take off on the rear shock connecting the trailing arm. The ****er was stuck tighter than my wallet and i ended up stripping the ******* head on the bolt so had to abandon the spring change and stick the rusty OEM one's back on for now. Hopefully i can get the bolts off connecting the trailing arm to the floor later and pull the lot from the car to change the spring.

It's getting to the point i go to freshen up a part on the car and i run into another problem. Should have left the ****er alone tbh.

So after putting it off until i returned form my holiday abroad i finally got around to replacing the steering rack slider and inner and outer track rods on my EP3 today.

I decided to do them leaving the rack on the car which i regretted when it came to bending the locking washers from the inner rods onto the rack guide holder. The tops were easy enough but the underside was a bloody nightmare. No room to get into them tbh.

My slider came out in two bits so it seems it was worth replacing and hopefully after i get the car aligned tomorrow it will solve the knocking from the middle of the car i have been hearing over rough ground.

I used this guide to do the job and it was fairly helpful https://hondakarma.com/guides/replacing-the-steering-rack-slider-with-the-rack-in-the-car.1859/

Hi Stu, I have just found myself in this very same position. Thought i'd freshen up the suspension so went with sachs springs n shocks all round. I did drop links all round at the same time. Now i have this crappy little rumble/knocking from the front passenger side at low speed from bumps. So I did the bottom ball joints as I found a little bit of play in the passenger side one, gotta be that right?????!!! Nope its still ****ing doing it!:evil:
Do you think it could be a defective shock? I've literally gone over everything with a fine tooth comb n it all looks good.
Peter

Hi Stu, I have just found myself in this very same position. Thought i'd freshen up the suspension so went with sachs springs n shocks all round. I did drop links all round at the same time. Now i have this crappy little rumble/knocking from the front passenger side at low speed from bumps. So I did the bottom ball joints as I found a little bit of play in the passenger side one, gotta be that right?????!!! Nope its still ****ing doing it!:evil:
Do you think it could be a defective shock? I've literally gone over everything with a fine tooth comb n it all looks good.
Peter

Not sure mate. As the shocks are brand new i would be surprised if it is them but i was led to believe that the one's i bought were nearly new and they were knocking badly.

Did you replace the top mounts when doing the shocks and springs?

Back