• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Front end knocking (EP3)

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me. Tbh I didn't do the top mounts, I gave them a thorough going over at the time of the change and they looked in good condition. so decided to leave them. Regretting that decision now :( I'll replace the top mounts and see if that does the trick, if not i'll put the original struts back in to see if its the Sachs shocks.
I'll post what the final outcome is, thanks for the advise.
Peter

Replaced top mounts!

Quick update and advise to avoid Sachs top mounts.
Fired new Sachs top mounts on (thought it would be good continuity to keep all sus parts same brand). First test drive knocking noise ten times worse! Couldn’t fathom it out, investigated all bushes and older company’s believing the stiffer mounts had cause something else to fail. Couldn’t find anything that could explain the dramatic noise.
Finally in desperation I put it up on an MOT shacker ramp. Luckily noticed the top of the shocks freely moving inside the new Sachs mounts. Dismantled and discovered the new mounts had completely and instantly failed, the metal inner strut guide had completely separated from the rubber surround. Had to refit the originals.
Going to buy original Honda mounts to see if that clears the original knocking.
(I’d put up the images of the failed mounts but can’t upload as file too big)

Hey Mike,
I'm saving to buy and fit Honda standard front shocks as I believe the Sachs Struts are the source of the rumble. I have literally replaced everything else. Sachs components are clearly rubbish. Once I've fixed the problem i'll post a definitive solution ](*,) sorry I can't be more help just now.

i have had 2 sets of bilstein b4's fail on me luckily still with warranty now i have sachs and i still have the same problem as you the only parts i haven't changed are the top mounts and wishbones witch i keep getting told are fine....only seem to get a knock when turing hard at low speed either direction and when stationary and some days not atall........ no one seems to be able to find a problem the only thing i have come across is another owner had the same problem and they seem to think it was the cups that sit on top of the spring haven't been put back in the correct position........and like you i have had 7 years trouble free untill the last 18 months

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yeah I heard that the spring cups could cause issues if not fitted correctly. For this reason I took detailed images of the originals before removal. I'm looking at roughly Christmas time for the new honda parts, no presents for anyone as i'll be bankrupt :smt111

Hey folks, final update. New Honda front struts, top mounts and Eibach pro lowering springs fitted by Honda. No more rumbling noise over bumps. Comically they didn’t check the wheel alignment after and said it would be fine! Fortunately I have enough knowledge about cars to know this is bull and the alignment was miles out, after a little battle they did it for free. Glad I can finally draw a line under this lengthy and expensive episode, thanks to all who commented.

Back